Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple

Comments

• Reply 121 of 243
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

“Since when do you have to tell your opponent when he has won?”

when they have no self confidence in themselves and will not leave things alone until they hear what they want to hear.  I figure based on the amazing post count you have compared to mine in the the same period, "keeping face" so important to you that you will stop at nothing. All the time doing damage to yourself they more you prolog denying  your change in position. I'm trying to stop debating this because I frankly have already made my point. enough is enough. Its all in past posts. no point in going on about this.  If you don't feel I had made my point, there is no way in hell I'm going to convince you.  I leave it to others to decide and I don't need to prove it to myself any more than what has already been posted. Anyone interest can read. Anyone else, will appreciate me stopping this stupid thread.

• Reply 122 of 243
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So NOT every 2 years? You can't even keep you lie straight with a less than 10 word response. Shameful.

And that 3 year difference between the iOS-based iPhone and iOS-based iPad was only ONCE, NOT the very 3 year occurrence you have claimed.

At least I can can read and comprehend- I didn't make the 2 year claim bighype did.
    And just so you know there never was a 3 year difference - that's the point. We had a Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad introduced. One was an entirely new product.:rolleyes:
  • Reply 123 of 243
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Jimmy has 40 plus years of experience and connections in the music industry -- Eddy doesn't have the time to attain equivalent chops!
    Eddy has enough on his plate with iCloud, Siri, maps, App Store and Apple TV.
  • Reply 124 of 243
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    snova wrote: »
    when they have no self confidence in themselves and will not leave things alone until they hear what they want to hear. I'm trying to give you peace. 

I want to hear you back up your accusations with evidence, not to scurry away with your tail betweens your legs. I gain nothing from your forfeit.
  • Reply 125 of 243
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I would love for you to explain this 180 I've done. Please cite any and all contradictory comments.

Who has the time for that? You've called me a liar and quoted me as bighype. You've lost all credibility today.
  • Reply 126 of 243
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

A guesstimate to their earnings would be about aprox 250 tp 300 million !

250-300 million is nothing, it's a damn joke. Why would Apple even be interested in such small sums and such a small, niche market?

Apple has long considered their Apple TV to merely be a hobby, then what's this? A complete waste of time?

• Reply 127 of 243
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What experience does Apple have in high quality audio? Buzzfeed claims Jimmy Iovine will oversee Apple's music strategy. If true that means Cook and the Board don't have confidence in Eddy Cue's ability to oversee Apple's future music strategy.

Iovine is advisor to Tim Cook, so Cook will have the final say. IMHO, Eddy Cue negotiated with the music execs for iRadio and iTunes. It may be awkward or conflicting for him to negotiate an iTunes killer with the studios. He may not go far enough.

After acquisition, Beats negotiation can be hooked up by Iovine with Cook's support.

Eddy Cue probably should focus on Maps, CarPlay, web apps, and whatever he's planning next. But that's just me. 3.2b is small number for Apple. They only have one chance for a proper streaming service. iRadio is just a funnel to iTunes.

Like I said above, I actually like Beats' service concept and implementation. I think they got that part right, which is a solid start for Apple.
  • Reply 128 of 243
    pazuzu wrote: »
    At least I can can read and comprehend- I didn't make the 2 year claim bighype did.
    And just so you know there never was a 3 year difference - that's the point. We had a Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad introduced. One was an entirely new product.:rolleyes:

Can you? I replied to Big Hype and you replied to my comment to Big Hype, where you stated "Except that he did" as a response my comment that Steve Jobs didn't release a new product category every 2 years. He didn't. Period. He also didn't release a new product category every 3 years. Period.
  • Reply 129 of 243
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Hmm... that interview with Walt explains a lot. Apple is buying a person. But come on! $3.2 billion?! Is Tim going to have Jimmy Iovine run iTunes like a completely separate business, like how 3M has many diverse divisions that all need to prove their worth to the company or they are spun off or shut down?

If Apple is going to be in the business of acquiring other businesses now for growth, versus growing the business themselves, shouldn't they also be seriously looking into buying AT&T, Hulu (or Netflix), and other such core (as in the case of iPhone business) or peripherally important (as in headphones) businesses?

Personally, I see this as a defining and significant departure from Apple's strategy until now. And it concerns me.

I think Apple is buying: a company which includes:
    • a hardware/accessory line
    • several creatives/executives with music industry experience
    • a new, but proven streaming service and software
    • a human-driven curation engine that anticipates what the user wants *
    • the humans with industry knowledge and experience to do that curation *
    • Jimmy as a consultant

* this has not been implemented, successfully, by anyone prior to Beats. And the Beats curation concept/engine may have much broader implications than just streaming the right music at the right time!

I read somewhere that Beats has about 1,000 employees and more than half are involved with the Service/software.

Maybe it's a good time for a departure from past strategy -- remember when the iPod came from nowhere -- then the unprecedented decision to implement iTunes on Windows????

Today's Apple is quite a different company from as recent as 2001. In order to survive and grow it must listen to the customers, anticipate their needs and be bold and agile enough to implement strategic solutions in a timely fashion.

In the words of Willy Sutton: "... that's where the money is!"
  • Reply 130 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

I would love for you to explain this 180 I've done. Please cite any and all contradictory comments.

Who has the time for that? You've called me a liar and quoted me as bighype. You've lost all credibility today.

pazuzu,

exactly.. it's call a weasel game.  lets just drop this. Just tell SolipsismX he is right as always and be done with this noise.

• Reply 131 of 243

If I called you a liar I'm sure I made clear why you are, but I didn't quote you as Big Hype, I quoted your words backing up Big Hype's claim that Steve Jobs did release a new product category every 2 years.

Besides you clearly stating that Jobs did release a new product category every 2 years is the meaning of every really that fucking hard to understand? [@]anantksundaram[/@] and [@]GTR[/@] are right.
    bighype wrote: »
    Cook hasn’t done a thing in 2 years. No new product categories, just improved old products.
    He's right up there with Steve Jobs who also didn't create a new product category every 2 years.
    Except that he did.
    And actually it's every 3 years.

PS: Still waiting for this screenshot or post number of where I quoted Big Hype's words with your name applied.
  • Reply 132 of 243
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    250-300 million is nothing, it's a damn joke. Why would Apple even be interested in such small sums and such a small, niche market?

Apple has long considered their Apple TV to merely be a hobby, then what's this? A complete waste of time?
    Totally agree. Thats why the whole web is shocked over this.

Imho.. Not so much about the cost but what is says about apples direction and decision making ..
    A total PR disaster.

Apple mantra.. We only make the best!
    Post Beats deal mantra : we only make you believe we are the best.
  • Reply 133 of 243
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    Totally agree. Thats why the whole web is shocked over this.

Imho.. Not so much about the cost but what is says about apples direction and decision making ..
    A total PR disaster.

Apple mantra.. We only make the best!
    Post Beats deal mantra : we only make you believe we are the best.

Not at all. Now that I think about it. Eddy Cue may continue to lead iTunes, while Beats lead the all-access streaming service. Both will fight to be the best. Beats may indeed cannibalize iTunes. Besides, it is unclear if iTunes will be available on Android, but Beats is. May (or may not) be a bigger PR mess if Apple takes iTunes to Android.

Apple will remain Apple in terms of device and service quality. Beats headphones, if Apple continue to sell them, will use whatever Apple come up with. Not the other way round.
  • Reply 134 of 243
    Quote:

I want to hear you back up your accusations with evidence, not to scurry away with your tail betweens your legs. I gain nothing from your forfeit.

frankly, that is up to you and something you should work on for your own sanity and self confidence.

• Reply 135 of 243
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    And associate themselves with mediocracy at best!

Beats hardware is mediocre at best!
    Beats streaming is a startup with unproven track record!

Who are all these executives that apple will gain in the deal?

The most valuable is iovine and he is not going to be a part if apple.. He will only advice !

This is Iovine outsmarting apple in the deal.
    Apple is being played .

Apple goes from making the best no matter the consequences to a marketing bullshitter by selling mediocracy as the best !
    Image and PR disaster!
  • Reply 136 of 243
    snova wrote: »
    frankly, that is up to you and something you should work on for your own sanity and self confidence.

The onus of proving your points is on the me? Does that really makes sense to you? Do you even understand how debates work? Have you never seem a courtroom drama? This isn't a new fucking concept. :no:
  • Reply 137 of 243
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think Apple is buying: a company which includes:

• a hardware/accessory line

• several creatives/executives with music industry experience

• a new, but proven streaming service and software

• a human-driven curation engine that anticipates what the user wants *

• the humans with industry knowledge and experience to do that curation *

• Jimmy as a consultant

* this has not been implemented, successfully, by anyone prior to Beats. And the Beats curation concept/engine may have much broader implications than just streaming the right music at the right time!

I read somewhere that Beats has about 1,000 employees and more than half are involved with the Service/software.

Maybe it's a good time for a departure from past strategy -- remember when the iPod came from nowhere -- then the unprecedented decision to implement iTunes on Windows????

Today's Apple is quite a different company from as recent as 2001. In order to survive and grow it must listen to the customers, anticipate their needs and be bold and agile enough to implement strategic solutions in a timely fashion.

In the words of Willy Sutton: "... that's where the money is!"

Regarding the two items I highlighted in red:  How many people have used their 'curation engine' and determined that it is leaps and bounds better than Apple's solution?

After watching almost the entire Iovine interview, it looks like he's a bit of a braggart about his curation solution, but where's the proof? Isn't it really just a scheme to employ a bunch of DJ's?

• Reply 138 of 243
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Jimmy has 40 plus years of experience and connections in the music industry -- Eddy doesn't have the time to attain equivalent chops!
    Eddy has enough on his plate with iCloud, Siri, maps, App Store and Apple TV.

Yes! And, Eddy is Apple's goto deal maker/negotiator for iTunes and iCloud content. If Eddy were trying to cut a streaming deal with the record companies, Jimmy, likely, would be one of the record company executives Eddy would call upon. Now, Jimmy and Eddy can call on Jimmy's counterparts and contacts -- mutual, perspective, trust and experience should help grease the skids.
  • Reply 139 of 243
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

The onus of proving your points is on the me? Does that really makes sense to you? Do you even understand how debates work? Have you never seem a courtroom drama? This isn't a new fucking concept. image

as dumb as I am, I know enough in my little brain, when its pointless to debate with an addict. Best wishes to you sir and your mental health.

• Reply 140 of 243
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    And associate themselves with mediocracy at best!

Beats hardware is mediocre at best!
    Beats streaming is a startup with unproven track record!

Who are all these executives that apple will gain in the deal?

The most valuable is iovine and he is not going to be a part if apple.. He will only advice !

This is Iovine outsmarting apple in the deal.
    Apple is being played .

Apple goes from making the best no matter the consequences to a marketing bullshitter by selling mediocracy as the best !
    Image and PR disaster!

If Beats h/w are mediocre, then Apple won't sell them. ^_^
    OTOH, the acquisition can improve Beats' implementation. It doesn't have to be always negative direction.

If Iovine is good, then Apple will tie him down enough. Being an advisor doesn't really mean he can run away with Apple unprepared. There will be satisfactory terms from both sides. This is all assuming the rumors are true.