Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple

Comments

• Reply 161 of 243
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't owe you an apology because I called you a liar. I would owe an apology if you hadn't lied, but you did, twice.

First lie: You stated that Big Hype was correct in regards to Apple releasing a new product category every two years.

Second lie: You then contradicted your previous sentence and stated it was every three years.

You guys have to be trolling to jack these thread because I have a heard time believing you can't even keep track of what you write in a 9 word comment.

You know you're absolutely right and I stand to be corrected- my memory must be failing but I forgot when I swore on a bible as I was about to testify under oath.

My lawyer forgot to object because everyone else understood what I was referring to except you who took it as lies. My apologies to the court.

You can now attack another poster and high jack the thread with your utter nonsense.

Good evening.

thanks.. and best regards to you pazuzu.

• Reply 162 of 243
    Quote:

:mad:1480624_1374877286109366_2108591054_n.jpg

• Reply 163 of 243
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Indeed it is.

I use Apple product's because they're the best around.

I would never use anything low end like Beats.

Me too ! But if Apple acquire Beats and turn them into gold, then they are good ?

Besides, they are selling well as a premium brand already. Apple certainly know their numbers since AppleStore carry Beats.
  • Reply 165 of 243
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    snova wrote: »
    pazuzu,
    leave it. He is an addict. He won't stop.  Have mercy on him, he does not even acknowledge he has an addition. 
    As far as winning a debate, my pea brain tells me that debates are decided by the audience, not the debaters.  Everything is on record as to what was said, if anyone gives a damn to review. Don't fall for his <span style="line-height:22px;">weasel game </span>
    and<span style="line-height:22px;"> waste your time. Let him be in the world that he has </span>
    chosen<span style="line-height:22px;"> to spend all his waking hours on. Its all he has got. Only he can decide when its time to seek help.  If you have any compassion, please leave him alone.  I'm sure you have better things to spend your time on in your own life then he does and its not our job to get him to seek help. </span>

I spoke to soon. I've always thought of AI as a civil discussion on here- not a debate to be badgered belligerently.
    Anyone who never admits they're ever wrong? That speaks miles. Leave it alone.
  • Reply 166 of 243
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    After watching almost the entire Iovine interview, it looks like he's a bit of a braggart about his curation solution, but where's the proof? Isn't it really just a scheme to employ a bunch of DJ's?
    jlandd wrote: »
    That's the Reality Distortion Field mastery and the in-need-of-personality-transplant attribute that goes with it that Jobs built Apple with, that they've been missing since.

Excellent point. The curation model intrigued me yet I didn't even consider that it might not be as good as he claimed.

pazuzu,
    leave it. He is an addict. He won't stop.  Have mercy on him, he does not even acknowledge he has an addition. 
    As far as winning a debate, my pea brain tells me that debates are decided by the audience, not the debaters.  Everything is on record as to what was said, if anyone gives a damn to review. Don't fall for his <span style="line-height:22px;">weasel game </span>
    and<span style="line-height:22px;"> waste your time. Let him be in the world that he has </span>
    chosen<span style="line-height:22px;"> to spend all his waking hours on. Its all he has got. Only he can decide when its time to seek help.  If you have any compassion, please leave him alone.  I'm sure you have better things to spend your time on in your own life then he does and its not our job to get him to seek help. </span>
    pazuzu wrote: »
    You know you're absolutely right and I stand to be corrected- my memory must be failing but I forgot when I swore on a bible as I was about to testify under oath.
    My lawyer forgot to object because everyone else understood what I was referring to except you who took it as lies. My apologies to the court.
    You can now attack another poster and high jack the thread with your utter nonsense.
    Good evening.

More passive-aggressive comments, I see.. Do you really think this will help your positions? When you're defeated you should learn from it so you don't make the same mistakes again, but to each their own.

pazuzu wrote: »
    Anyone who never admits they're ever wrong? That speaks miles.

Absolutely correct, even if ironic coming from the guy that claims Steve Jobs released new products every two year and every three years.
  • Reply 167 of 243
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

But if Apple acquire Beats and turn them into gold, then they are good ?

It makes zero sense for Apple to take a brand that has a not so good reputation with many people and to try to turn a turd into gold.

Apple is the most valuable brand in the world, they can just do it themselves, screw beats.

If this is about the streaming business only, then maybe that's ok, I don't have any huge issues with that, but if this is about the headphones, then I think that the whole thing sounds disastrous.

• Reply 168 of 243
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    True story:

Human-assited curation example:

1966, we three IBM reps are in a serious meeting with Henry Dearman, Director of Data Processing for REECO, the prime contractor for the Nevada [atomic] test site.

At one point, Henry calls his secretary, Sherry, into the room and says:  "Write a letter to what's-his-name -- you know what I want to say!"

A few moments later Sherry returns with a letter -- Henry, glances at it and signs it.

We all look around at each other and all laugh -- Sherry gets a Standing O!

That's what I'm talking' about!
  • Reply 169 of 243
    Apple is the most valuable brand in the world, they can just do it themselves, screw beats.

Assuming Iovine's humanized lists work can Apple really do that themselves in a short time frame, like before the next music-focused event that typically happens in the Autumn?
  • Reply 170 of 243
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    thanks.. and best regards to you pazuzu.

To you too Snova.
    And you're absolutely right - it keeps spewing nonsensical venom-can't stop! Must be Very upset because I've disproven his 3 year claim. Note I don't call it a lie.8-)
  • Reply 171 of 243
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

True story:

Human-assited curation example:

1966, we three IBM reps are in a serious meeting with Henry Dearman, Director of Data Processing for REECO, the prime contractor for the Nevada [atomic] test site.

At one point, Henry calls his secretary, Sherry, into the room and says:  "Write a letter to what's-his-name -- you know what I want to say!"

A few moments later Sherry returns with a letter -- Henry, glances at it and signs it.

We all look around at each other and all laugh -- Sherry gets a Standing O!

That's what I'm talking' about!

That's precisely what I hope to see once real usable artificial intelligence is unleashed. The same kind of "mind reading" and predictive thinking that one gets from a close associate or assistant.

• Reply 172 of 243
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    jlandd wrote: »

After watching almost the entire Iovine interview, it looks like he's a bit of a braggart about his curation solution, but where's the proof? Isn't it really just a scheme to employ a bunch of DJ's?

That's the Reality Distortion Field mastery and the in-need-of-personality-transplant attribute that goes with it that Jobs built Apple with, that they've been missing since.   

Bingo!
  • Reply 173 of 243
    Quote:

Assuming Iovine's humanized lists work can Apple really do that themselves in a short time frame, like before the next music-focused event that typically happens in the Autumn?

If this is about the streaming biz, or music curating, then I'll feel a lot better about the whole situation. I just hope that the hardware part is not involved in any way, shape or form.

• Reply 174 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Bingo!

And it makes me wonder if Tim is subconsciously seeking those same kinds of personalities to fill Steve's void? (not to get to psychoanalytical)

• Reply 175 of 243
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    It makes zero sense for Apple to take a brand that has a not so good reputation with many people and to try to turn a turd into gold.

If this is about the streaming business only, then maybe that's ok, I don't have any huge issues with that, but if this is about the headphones, then I think that the whole thing sounds disastrous.

You see, 60% of the high end headphone market believe Beats give them what they want. They voted with their money.

It's the technologists who declare that the Beats headphones are not up to par. They could be basing their opinions on earlier products, or they have different needs and standards. The numbers show that the market (segments) like Beats. So that's that.

Whether it's headphone or streaming service, I am pretty sure Apple execs will evaluate their options appropriately.

If they inject their tech expertise, then the headphones will likely appeal to tech heads better, hence not crappy anymore.

If they set Beats service loose on iTunes, then they will manage the transition to streaming services.

Either or both ways, Apple decide where they want to go.

Acquiring Beats won't damage their brand.
  • Reply 176 of 243
    If this is about the streaming biz, or music curating, then I'll feel a lot better about the whole situation. I just hope that the hardware part is not involved in any way, shape or form.

It is, which I think Apple could use so hope there is some sort of deal to get that to happen with Apple. It doesn't have to be a rental music service. This could benefit anyone, since we're talking about better Genius Playlists.

Note that Iovine has been in talks with Apple/Jobs since as far back as 2001 so being in talks could mean anything, something, everything, or nothing.
  • Reply 177 of 243
    Quote:

Note that Iovine has been in talks with Apple/Jobs since as far back as 2001 so being in talks could mean everything, anything, or nothing.

Well stated.

• Reply 178 of 243

Redux: The Verge has a 90 second video clip where they 1) state it all as a fact which "could be announced as early as next week," 2) comment on how Beats owns over half the premium headphone market, and 3) how Apple would be buying Beats for the brand name, not the IP. Very interesting stuff and an incredible investment for a company Dre and Iovine started in 2008.

Going on the second point alone, and the previous comment about Beats pulling in around $250 to $300 million in profits last year a $3.2 billion purchase wouldn't be crazy, unless a lot of the multiple billion dollar buys we usually see with companies that are lucky to turn a profit.
  • Reply 179 of 243
    Quote:

Redux: The Verge has a 90 second video clip where they 1) state it all as a fact which "could be announced as early as next week," 2) comment on how Beats owns over half the premium headphone market, and 3) how Apple would be buying Beats for the brand name, not the IP. Very interesting stuff and an incredible investment for a company Dre and Iovine started in 2008.

Going on the second point alone, and the previous comment about Beats pulling in around $250 to $300 million in profits last year a $3.2 billion purchase wouldn't be crazy, unless a lot of the multiple billion dollar buys we usually see with companies that are lucky to turn a profit.

I wasn't able to watch the video, since they're doing some work in my area, and my connection is really slow at the moment, but your #3 scares me, because that means that Apple is just buying into a trend. So they don't have any valuable IP that is worth buying, but Apple just wants their brand name?

Some Apple haters claim that Apple is successful just because of marketing or that it's trendy, but that couldn't be further from the truth of course, because we all know that Apple's success is based on decades of delivering stellar products.

Beats were whoring themselves out to any two bit Android player who wanted to include it on their phones. I don't see anything special at all about Apple acquiring that brand. It would devalue the Apple brand and lower my opinion of the company. And I don't think that I'm the only one who believes that, because this rumor and this whole beats deal is pretty polarizing, no matter which forum you go to read about it.

• Reply 180 of 243
    Quote:

Again, from my perspective if Apple meant to keep this acquisition secret and intends to maintain the Beats name and placement in their stores, I suppose there is theoretically nothing wrong with this purchase. If Apple rebrands crummy headphones as Apple product, this would be nothing but bad news.

Also, for Apple's sake I hope there was a financial penalty attached to that Dr. Dre video that was posted to Facebook. Surely Apple insisted they sign an NDA during this process? We all know in our guts that Jobs would've killed the whole deal (I'm assuming there actually is a deal for the sake of argument) with such a blatant leak.