Oracle wins key reversal in Java copyright case against Google's Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 176
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    No no no we don't want them to rewrite Android from scratch they might fix all its flaws esp. the fact that it is an insecure OS - can't have that
  • Reply 22 of 176
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Huh... and I had just put away the popcorn.

• Reply 23 of 176
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Then there is the small matter of bringing Dalvik into the fold of Java's GNU license rather than the Apache licence Google transferred it to.

Good news for Google, Android will become truly "open", every single bit of it, including all the currently closed add ons.

I bet they can't wait to get the hypocrisy they've been marketing Android under off their chest.

This is going to really hurt Android and I'm lovin' it.

• Reply 24 of 176
    peterbobpeterbob Posts: 60member
    This is going to really hurt Android and I'm lovin' it.

Celebrating way too early are we. If this is fair use Google has nothing to worry about. Even if Google has to pay its only for 37 APIs most of which has been replaced and completely rewritten. The best case for oracle they walk out with a couple hundred million dollars. Lawsuits are not good to kill android. You rabid fanboys need to except that
  • Reply 25 of 176
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Apple should hire Oracle's lawyers. 

• Reply 26 of 176
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Google is so gosh-darned "innovative"

Go, Larry*!!!!!!!!!!!!:) 

(*Ellison that is)

• Reply 27 of 176
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    The fun part is listening to a troll argue that Apple should give up defending its patent rights because only "implementations" (i.e., code) is protected, not ideas. I had patiently explained that patents are ideas and that implementations are protected by copyrights, not patents. Funny now to read how Google tried to argue away Oracle's copyright protections on its Java code. The Android world seems built on mountains of IP infringement. No wonder the apologists keep beating the "everybody copies everybody" drum, in hopes that it will make Google look better if everyone looks like a crook.
  • Reply 28 of 176
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

Good thing the appeals court reversed the lower court's judgement that short phrases are not copyrightable.  That would have spelled the end of my budding career writing haiku.

So the legal skirmish will now be over fair use.  Google uses Oracle's copyrighted material to build a business with annual combined smart phone, mobile app and ad sales of X billions.  It wan't used for instruction, scholarship, criticism, comment, artistic expression, reporting or anything else  except profit. Let's see who can argue fair use out of that.

• Reply 29 of 176
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    After Apple's iPhone [B]disseminated[/B] the existing smartphone businesses of BlackBerry, Nokia, Palm and Windows Mobile in its first three years, a variety of hardware makers and carriers jumped to support Android as the last remaining alternative.

Decimated maybe?

EDIT: I see that was already spotted.

I hope this has a knock on effect to Sammy.
  • Reply 30 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Apple should hire Oracle's lawyers. 

No need. Larry Ellison is a great friend to Apple.

• Reply 31 of 176
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    peterbob wrote: »
    Celebrating way too early are we. If this is fair use Google has nothing to worry about. Even if Google has to pay its only for 37 APIs most of which has been replaced and completely rewritten. The best case for oracle they walk out with a couple hundred million dollars. Lawsuits are not good to kill android. You rabid fanboys need to except that

Except or accept?

Google is a thief. F*ck all thieves.
  • Reply 32 of 176
    peterbobpeterbob Posts: 60member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Except or accept?

Google is a thief. F*ck all thieves.

What did Google sleal.
  • Reply 33 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

After Apple's iPhone disseminated the existing smartphone businesses of BlackBerry, Nokia, Palm and Windows Mobile in its first three years, a variety of hardware makers and carriers jumped to support Android as the last remaining alternative.

Decimated maybe?

EDIT: I see that was already spotted.

I hope this has a knock on effect to Sammy.

Maybe Samsung steps up with their plan to replace Android with Tizen.

• Reply 34 of 176
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterbob View Post

What did Google sleal.

At least 47 lines of code.

• Reply 35 of 176
    peterbob wrote: »

Is that you Gatorguy?
  • Reply 36 of 176
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

At least 47 lines of code.

Now for someone to claim that’s “too little to matter”.

• Reply 37 of 176
    Maybe Samsung steps up with their plan to replace Android with Tizen.

That crossed my mind. I wonder if the Android fanboys would just go along and become Tizen Fanboys or might that feel too weird, for even them.
  • Reply 38 of 176
    atwoeatwoe Posts: 1member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I'd love to see Android be made illegal (after Google has been found guilty of stealing the OS), and nobody would be allowed to sell any more Android phones that contains infringing code, which basically means that every Android phone ever made should be forbidden.

They would have to rewrite their entire OS from scratch and start from the beginning again. 

Either that, or they should get hit with such big fines, that it would make their whole business unprofitable. The judgements in these cases are far too low. Crime really does pay it seems.
    In fact android isn't written in Java. It's Linux. Java is the application language, rather like objective c is the app language for iOS and OSX. Still a huge blow, but android may well live on. I didn't see anything in the fine article about dalvic., the java virtual machine used in android. It's possible to compile a different language into Java byte code and still use dalvic. There are several languages that do this with the sun oracle JVM. This will be fun to watch.
  • Reply 39 of 176
    macduckmacduck Posts: 8member

Interesting ruling.  Does this mean that this implementation in a Java class is copyrighted?

public static int max(int x, int y);

• Reply 40 of 176
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Something to remember while ordering the Dom. IIRC jury polling after the first trial showed 9 of the 12 jurors finding "fair use" in Google's favor. New trial and new jury on that issue this go-round but the a finding of "fair use" would not be unexpected.

With that out of the way IF Google is found to have caused damage to Oracle they'll have to pay the piper. As it should be.