Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple

Comments

• Reply 201 of 243
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I'm using the Beats app to play the "sentence" while I'm surfing and reading various articles about the acquisition.

I've only used the app for about 15 minutes and the curating process is pretty damn good.

After my seven day free trial is up I likely will join for $10 a month for as long as I feel it's worth it.

No-brainer, really…

I can see it being incorporated into The iOS control center -- where you could be reading or doing something on your iPad and, at the same time, getting music for the moment.
  • Reply 202 of 243
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When has Apple ever purchased another company for its brand? From everything we can tell there is no valuable IP or other technology that Beats has. Maybe it's the deals they have with the record companies but how likely is it that those would transfer to Apple? So basically you have Apple spending $3B to get young people whose parents overpay for crappy headphones to think Apple is cool.

They have something working that's gaining momentum in the high end segment. That alone is worth a lot. 

$3.2b valuation is taking into consideration the startup's business performance. It is not so common for a startup to make money.

As for technology, Apple has them. If Beats can use Apple tech, then all the better.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I had two pairs of Beats when they were affiliated with Monster. Build quality was awful. After the cable on the second pair started to fray I returned them and got a pair of Klipsch instead and never looked back. I hope if Apple continues to sell the headphones they'll improve the build quality.

That's what I'm talking about. Based on what I have read, their products have improved. 

Check out the recent ones.

If it's that obvious, they can't fool Apple. Remember, Apple sell Beats headphones. They will know about the returns rate. 

• Reply 203 of 243
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    All Apple has to do is continue making the best products that they can. If they do that, then the rest takes care of itself. 

If Apple tries to buy something mainly based on it's perceived "coolness" factor, then I would argue that Apple has abandoned their mission directive and lost it's soul.
    Ben Bajarin's tweet below gives me some comfort that there's more to this than meets the eye. I sure hope do. Because if it's just about trying to get young people to think Apple is cool then I agree with you Apple really had lost its dole.

@BenBajarin: @eric_perlberg Lots more positives than cons IMO. Been talking to music execs. Seems this is more interesting than what’s on the surface
  • Reply 204 of 243
    rogifan wrote: »
    apple ][ wrote: »
    All Apple has to do is continue making the best products that they can. If they do that, then the rest takes care of itself. 

If Apple tries to buy something mainly based on it's perceived "coolness" factor, then I would argue that Apple has abandoned their mission directive and lost it's soul.
    Ben Bajarin's tweet below gives me some comfort that there's more to this than meets the eye. I sure hope do. Because if it's just about trying to get young people to think Apple is cool then I agree with you Apple really had lost its dole.

@BenBajarin: @eric_perlberg Lots more positives than cons IMO. Been talking to music execs. Seems this is more interesting than what’s on the surface

Read this one too:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2153481/why-the-beats-deal-shows-apple-is-actually-listening.html
  • Reply 205 of 243

I keep hearing how this could be good for Apple because Beats is popular.  But popular is not the same thing as good. Android is popular too you know.

• Reply 206 of 243
    Quote:

I keep hearing how this could be good for Apple because Beats is popular.  But popular is not the same thing as good. Android is popular too you know.

It's not just popular. It's popular and priced at a premium. Plus the pretty unique music streaming service. People pay for it and Apple continue to carry it in their stores. If customers hated it, Apple would have heard, and perhaps pulled it from their stores.

It is different from giving out for free or selling at cost to gain marketshare.

• Reply 207 of 243
    rogifan wrote: »

Read this article that I posted above:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2153481/why-the-beats-deal-shows-apple-is-actually-listening.html

Not only does it curate your playlist but you can download them to your device… Think of what it means for CarPlay.

Just consider the negotiating power and entrée to the record companies that this acquisition will give Apple.

Why don't you download the app, get the free trial, define what you like and try it for yourself?
  • Reply 208 of 243
    Duplicatw

• Reply 209 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

It's not just popular. It's popular and priced at a premium. Plus the pretty unique music streaming service. People pay for it and Apple continue to carry it in their stores. If customers hated it, Apple would have heard, and perhaps pulled it from their stores.

It is different from giving out for free or selling at cost to gain marketshare.

So Apple will now be known for pushing overpriced crap. I suppose Wall Street will love it if it increases margins. But what happens when young people get over the Beats fad and move on to something else?

• Reply 211 of 243
    Quote:

So Apple will now be known for pushing overpriced crap. I suppose Wall Street will love it if it increases margins. But what happens when young people get over the Beats fad and move on to something else?

Very often, doing startup is tough because you get distracted by infrastructure, partners, cash-flow and other resources issues. You may not be able to realize your full product potential. It is very common for startups to compromise for the first few product iterations. That's why they sought out early adopter customers. But over time, the startups are supposed to improve the products as they shift gradually to attack the mainstream, less forgiving customers.

With more resources from a big company, Beats should/will be able to do better. It seems that their later products are already pretty decent.

I am not sure if Beats' market is a fad. If their products are loved and say great for movies and gaming, then I don't think it's a fad like for example... fashion. There will be newer young people who love movies and gaming. They don't just die off suddenly unless there's an extinction level event.

At the same time, music streaming may be the next stage for music. That doesn't look like a fad either.

These are pretty basic questions. I suspect Apple business folks, engineering and management have already thought through them.

Note that these are still just rumors. Even if it's true, Apple may not be done evaluating them yet.

• Reply 212 of 243
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'm using the Beats app to play the "sentence" while I'm surfing and reading various articles about the acquisition.

I've only used the app for about 15 minutes and the curating process is pretty damn good.

After my seven day free trial is up I likely will join for $10 a month for as long as I feel it's worth it.

No-brainer, really…

I can see it being incorporated into The iOS control center -- where you could be reading or doing something on your iPad and, at the same time, getting music for the moment.

I've no interest in signing up for a paid music service. Could you describe a bit more about your experience with it and why you feel the curation is better?

• Reply 213 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've no interest in signing up for a paid music service. Could you describe a bit more about your experience with it and why you feel the curation is better?

Heh heh, yeah, that's why I'm waiting for Apple to confirm the deal. Then I try it out to see how well their due diligence holds together.

• Reply 214 of 243

No-brainer, really…

You can get a seven day free trial and see for yourself.

The last link that I posted suggested that Apple may not charge for the service just incorporate it into iTunes radio.
  • Reply 215 of 243
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The last link that I posted suggested that Apple may not charge for the service just incorporate it into iTunes radio.

I see.

• Reply 216 of 243

I see.

It's hard to explain … Like the experience of riding a bicycle or ice-skating for the first time.
  • Reply 217 of 243
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Now there are rumours they will be made Apple executives!

At least having a doctor on board gives credence to the rumors of health-focused gadgets¡ :\

Why would this be limited to iTunes Radio? Why wouldn't it be able to make great playlist based on the music I own?
  • Reply 218 of 243
    solipsismx wrote: »

At least having a doctor on board gives credence to the rumors of health-focused gadgets¡ :\

You can't link to a 9-to-5 article from an AI forum -- they intentionally screwup the URL.
  • Reply 219 of 243
    solipsismx wrote: »

Why would this be limited to iTunes Radio? Why wouldn't it be able to make great playlist based on the music I own?

No reason that I know! I see the concept being applied to Music, Videos, browsing, books, shopping ...
  • Reply 220 of 243
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    No reason that I know! I see the concept being applied to Music, Videos, browsing, books, shopping ...

Shopping is an interesting topic. Culture often dictates both musical tastes and shopping habits. Could Apple be looking at a bigger picture here?