Um......weirdest thing just happened...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok about a minute ago something very disturbing happened. I'm sitting here reading a thread and my machine starts sounding like there's a chain saw inside.......exactly like a chain saw while it was loading......and VERY LOUD. I almost unplugged it cause I thought "That doesn't sound too good". It's stopped and seems alright now, but this machine has been so problematic ever since the start. It's a beige G3 that constantly crashes, won't run programs properly, and feels like a 604e. This is really getting to me. I was quitting Sim City 3000 and the f*cker just froze up like that.

I really need a new computer. The G5 would make a perfect birthday present for me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Holy sh*t it's doing it again.......
  • Reply 2 of 25
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Maybe the tiny little mice who work the processor have decided to break free using a tiny little chainsaw!!

Aaaarrrrgghhhhh!!!!!!! Attack of the G3 mice!!!!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    This is not funny.

Doing it again......for extended periods this time. I called my dad in here to witness it and he heard the thing buzzing loudly. Guess what. He doesn't care. He just basically doesn't care. I'm so glad I'll be leaving this house soon.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    wheewhee Posts: 46member
    Could it possibly be a dying fan? Old fans sometimes come off the bearings slightly and start to wobble, making nifty chainsawesque sounds.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    I'll check for that. I really this computer is beyond help though. It's depressing.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    My iMac DVSE has the faintest smell of burning plastic, put upon deep inspection there is nothing melting or burning, my iMac would appear to the naked eye to be dying beyond, BUT the computer is still very very very functional....and if you want it tigerwoods...I'm selling it, I don't think your interested but in case you are

email me

[email protected]
  • Reply 7 of 25
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Could be a dying hard drive. I would back up any important files RIGHT NOW!

If your HD has a head crash, your data is gone forever (barring a $7000 retrieval job).

-robo
  • Reply 8 of 25
    I have an old PM 7200 that we have basically kept only 'cause it has 2.5 gigs of stuff on it that's just easier to leave on it and network w/our iMac, and lately it's been making a constant loud disturbing noise. Sort of like a chainsaw. I copied al the data onto my TiBook HD and am going to burn it to CD 'cause I know that machine's gonna go soon. Not sure what the noise is, but I'm pretty sure it can't be good. Yeah, I'd second the warning to back up your data, JIC.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Yeah, I'll burn it on a CD now I think.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Did you ever replace the original hard drive with an IBM 75 GXP model? :: shudders ::

The click of death is a gruesome thing, especially when it destroys 17.4 gigs of MP3s and 12 years worth of written documents....
  • Reply 11 of 25
    My Old Performa has always done that, right from day one. I figured out that it was the monitor on top of the case pushing against the harddrive. But if you have a tower, it could be that the drive is just dieing.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    [quote]Originally posted by Magicite:

<strong>Did you ever replace the original hard drive with an IBM 75 GXP model? :: shudders ::

The click of death is a gruesome thing, especially when it destroys 17.4 gigs of MP3s and 12 years worth of written documents....</strong><hr></blockquote>

don't say that! I have a 75 GXP.....better not die on me...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    I've never replaced the hard drive in it. The stock says its an IBM but I'm not sure which model.

Hard drive

Driver version: 3.2.5

Mac OS partitions: 1

Removable media: No

Vendor: IBM

Revision number: T5AA73A

Product ID: DTTA-350840

Serial Number: WEOWEF26552

Size: 8.44 GB (1K=1000)

Capacity: 7.87 (1K=1024)

Fortunately the chainsaw noise hasn't occured for since I last told you all, but I still don't trust this thing. I backed up quite a few things on a CD-R just in case.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    apap Posts: 29member
    [quote] Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>

Fortunately the chainsaw noise hasn't occured for since I last told you all, but I still don't trust this thing. I backed up quite a few things on a CD-R just in case.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you should back-up important stuff often even if your harddisk works perfect.

Harddisks sometimes crashes just like that. I've tried it myself (and I was almost loosing years of work...a professional company rescued the disk though) And I've seen it often on other macs.

ap
  • Reply 15 of 25
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    My adivce is take it out back and shoot it.

Backup first.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Wow. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Does it make sort of a grinding noise? and does it freeze the system?

I also have an IBM HD and after using it for awhile (filling up about half the space) I'll try and do something and I'll get 3 grinding noises followed by a pause, then it repeats, and the whole system freezes.

Try this: go back and do whatever you did to make it happen in the first place. Everytime that this has happened to me I've been able to reproduce it, and I think the problem is a bad block on the HD. The first time this happened to me (long time ago) it would occur whenever I tried to launch an Office app. The most recent time it would happen when I'd try and open or move some movies that I had. Let me know if you can reproduce the problem.

You can read more about my "experience" <a href="http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=6260915933&r= 6260915933" target="_blank">here</a> (Apple Elite).
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Do you have a microphone with which you could record the "chainsaw" sound for us?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Our beige G3 freezes every time the cd slot starts loading while im not using the cd in any way.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    [quote]Do you have a microphone with which you could record the "chainsaw" sound for us?<hr></blockquote>

yeaaah I would really loooove to hear that...

sorry.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Hmm well the thing is I don't know what I did to make it sound like a chainsaw. I was just doing normal stuff, reading AI, listening to music on iTunes, talking to friends on AIM, nothing I haven't done before.

I do have a microphone which I can record the sound from if it occurs again. The beige G3 at my dad's work doesn't seem to have any problems like mine, although he says it freezes. I haven't witnessed it ever though.

Yeah the noise is sort of like a grinding noise, I would describe it as a chain saw digging into something. It's fairly loud and goes for a little while, pauses, then starts up again.