Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Comments

• Reply 261 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Yes.

They also come with the iPhone. They also come in their own packaging as two separate products, one of which I've already linked to.
  • Reply 262 of 599
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    They also come with the iPhone. They also come in their own packaging as two separate products, one of which I've already linked to.

Really? I've never got free earphones with an iPhone. Is this an American thing?
  • Reply 263 of 599
    rogifan wrote: »
    WTF are you talking about.

For real, WTF are you effing talking about
  • Reply 264 of 599
    asdasd wrote: »
    Really? I've never got free earphones with an iPhone. Is this an American thing?

I have no idea if it's only a US thing…

edit: I just checked 5 other countries and the iPhone 5S comes with PodPhones. Assuming I did the countries code right I checked: Spain, UK, Australia, Brazil, and Czech Republic..
  • Reply 265 of 599
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    Dre: "Yo Ive. What's going down Mofo?"
    Jony Ive: "Uhhhhhh........."
    Dre: "What's the matter n***ger.? You never seen a Mother F**king Hip Hop Billionaire?"
    Dre: "Shutup fool. Listen up. The next iPhone will be called the iBling and I want a huge gold chain attached to it so people can wear it around their necks"
    Dre: "I said shutup white boy!!!! Just listen!!!! I also want a 9mm designed into it with a quick release clip cuz you never no when a gangster needs some heat. Know what I'm saying Mofo?"
    Jony Ive: "Uhhhhhh.........Tim....I quit"

The millions of teens/others that pay$200-$300 for a pair of Beats could care less.

I doubt Ive will talk to Dre once a year.

The naysayers fail to realize how many Beats are sold. I don't know for sure, but I do know that it is, by far, the most popular high-end headphones on the market. I read they have 75% of the high-end market.

Apple needs to diversify, even if it's just headphones to start with. Finally, Apple might start spending it's $.
  • Reply 266 of 599
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    eric38 wrote: »
    The millions of teens/others that pay$200-$300 for a pair of Beats could care less.

I doubt Ive will talk to Dre once a year.

The naysayers fail to realize how many Beats are sold. I don't know for sure, but I do know that it is, by far, the most popular high-end headphones on the market. I read they have 75% of the high-end market.

Apple needs to diversify, even if it's just headphones to start with. Finally, Apple might start spending it's $.
    So Google buys robotics companies and Apple's idea of diversification is a fashion brand selling overpriced headphones.
  • Reply 267 of 599
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    You can see panhandlers, drinking Starbucks and smoking $4/pack cigarettes -- all a matter of priorities ...

The worst ever was a panhandler who occupied the same spot every day in front of a Wal-Mart in Tucson. One day I saw him leave his station and walk over and get into his brand new Buick -- nice work if you can get it -- and tax-free!

More like a "street performer," really.
  • Reply 268 of 599
    Is it possible Apple is only buying the streaming service?
  • Reply 269 of 599
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Is it possible Apple is only buying the streaming service?

Not for $3+ billion!
  • Reply 270 of 599
    Coming this Christmas:

Buy an iphone6, get a free pair of Beats earbuds or a pair of wired Beats headphones for $75 or a wireless pair for $150.

18-30 year olds predominately buy Beats. It's a massive market, especially with wireless now coming into the mainstream.

18-25 year olds love Beats and love large screen phones. Just the increased sales in 2 quarters coming up could pay for this acquisition if they offer a super deal on Beats with an iPhone purchase.

I 100% confident this will be looked back upon as a great buy.
  • Reply 271 of 599
    So Google buys robotics companies and Apple's idea of diversification is a fashion brand selling overpriced headphones.

1) I'm curious why you constantly refer to rumours as being something that has already happened and is complete. I am sincerely asking if there is condition that needs to be understand as to why you constantly ignore all comments that inform you that a rumour is not proof of anything?

2) What robotics company has Google bought that is as successful as Beats? What does a robotics company offer search engine and Gmail users? Can you point me to anything that makes for a better UX from Google buying a robotics company or are you just glassy-eyed by the flashiness of the notion of Google buying a robotics company?
  • Reply 272 of 599
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

You may not have heard it but Apple Inc did.   3.2 billion times.  Is that reality enough for you?

No, in no way is that a response or clarification to anything you have said. Don’t bother trying again. You don’t have an argument.

• Reply 273 of 599
    - $1.4 billion in revenues and growing double digits
    - A solid and growing brand
    - Streaming music
    - two self-made music industry executives with deep connections inside the industry

OVERPRICED???

I swear there are some idiotic assumptions and comments being made on this forum about this RUMOUR! Get a freaking grip people!

Exactly. Ask your average 18-25 year old what are the best headphones out there, and they'll say Beats, not what some audiophile magazine rates as the best headphone. Just looking at the revenue from hardware and the brand, $3b seems fair to me.

Beats will get rid of the plastic look and sound quality will improve.

There is NO chance Apple gets rid of the Beats brand. It's worth most of the purchase price.
  • Reply 274 of 599
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joseph_went_south View Post

- $1.4 billion in revenues and growing double digits

- A solid and growing brand

- Streaming music

- two self-made music industry executives with deep connections inside the industry

OVERPRICED???

I swear there are some idiotic assumptions and comments being made on this forum about this RUMOUR! Get a freaking grip people!

Tell them Joe...  

Look at Burberry and it's brands...  Beats should become be an Apple brand in a similar fashion...

Burberry operates under three brands:

• Burberry Prorsum – Base line for other brands.

• Burberry London – Heritage outerwear 'wear to work' items, including business wear.

• Burberry Brit – The most accessible of the Burberry brands, with entry level pricing.

• Reply 275 of 599
    1) I'm curious why you constantly refer to rumours as being something that has already happened and is complete. I am sincerely asking if there is condition that needs to be understand as to why you constantly ignore all comments that inform you that a rumour is not proof of anything?

2) What robotics company has Google bought that is as successful as Beats? What does a robotics company offer search engine and Gmail users? Can you point me to anything that makes for a better UX from Google buying a robotics company or are you just glassy-eyed by the flashiness of the notion of Google buying a robotics company?
    Look I'll gladly eat crow if this rumor turns out to be wrong. I want it to be wrong! I think investing in things like robotics and AI is forward looking. I just re-watched Apple's video on the nMP production and it's so cool to watch. A lot of those processes are automated. I'd much rather see Apple continue to invest in manufacturing, display, battery, AI technology then a fad that may or may not be fashionable tomorrow. I think Apple has enough in house talent to create desirable products that people of all ages want to buy, I don't think they need the Beats brand to do it. And if they really want to dominate music streaming, buy the best (Spotify) before Google, Amazon or someone else does.
  • Reply 276 of 599
    Exactly. Ask your average 18-25 year old what are the best headphones out there, and they'll say Beats, not what some audiophile magazine rates as the best headphone. Just looking at the revenue from hardware and the brand, $3b seems fair to me.

There is NO chance Apple gets rid of the Beats brand. It's worth most of the purchase price.

Assuming the numbers are correct then $3.2 billion doesn't seem overpriced at all, but Apple buying a company for its brand appeal would be very unusual move. What history do that have of this?

I'm struggling to think of any branding they've bought into:
    • They didn't change the Siri name, which was odd, but they surely didn't buy it for its brand.
    • They have branded their iPods with HP but they didn't buy them and that was short lived.
  • Reply 277 of 599

Who's going to improve sound quality? That's certainly not Apple's forte.
  • Reply 278 of 599
    Look I'll gladly eat crow if this rumor turns out to be wrong.

Geez! There is no reason to "eat crow" if you don't make unconditional comments about a potential future event you have no way of knowing. There is a unsubtle difference between reading a rumour then exclaiming, "Apple is stupid for buying Beats!" and "I'll be shocked if Apple buys Beats." This isn't rocket science, it's not even refrigerator repair.
    I just re-watched Apple's video on the nMP production and it's so cool to watch. A lot of those processes are automated. I'd much rather see Apple continue to invest in manufacturing, display, battery, AI technology then a fad that may or may not be fashionable tomorrow. I think Apple has enough in house talent to create desirable products that people of all ages want to buy, I don't think they need the Beats brand to do it.

Now this is a clearly stated opinion that can be discussed in an open forum. I like this!
    And if they really want to dominate music streaming, buy the best (Spotify) before Google, Amazon or someone else does.

I have yet to try the Beats app but [@]Dick Applebaum[/@] has and he says the humanizing algorithms are good. Unfortunately I am not a candidate for music rental or letting others build my playlists (yet) so I would not be a good judge, but Dick's opinion I respect because of the level of detail and objectively he has shown to impose in his comments.

You sound like a Spotify user. I love for a Spotify user to go toe-to-toe with the Beats app to see which serves up the best music. (I understand that coming from Spotify to Beats gives Spotify an advantage since it has no history of your listening patterns.)
  • Reply 279 of 599
    Geez! There is no reason to "eat crow" if you don't make unconditional comments about a potential future event you have no way of knowing. There is a unsubtle difference between reading a rumour then exclaiming, "Apple is stupid for buying Beats!" and "I'll be shocked if Apple buys Beats." This isn't rocket science, it's not even refrigerator repair.
    I have a feeling a lot of people will be shocked when this is announced next week. I've been following lots of Apple bloggers/watchers online and on Twitter since this rumor came out and I haven't found one yet that was skeptical of the rumor. All of them are scratching their heads wondering why Apple would do this but none are questioning the rumors legitimacy. Some (like Ben. Bajarin) are trying hard to come up with reasons this is a smart move on Apple's part. If there was nothing to this rumor I think by now we'd have an indication of that. Even of Apple wouldn't officially comment there's nothing stopping them from whispering in re/code or WSJ's ear.
  • Reply 280 of 599
    I have a feeling a lot of people will be shocked when this is announced next week. I've been following lots of Apple bloggers/watchers online and on Twitter since this rumor came out and I haven't found one yet that was skeptical of the rumor. All of them are scratching their heads wondering why Apple would do this but none are questioning the rumors legitimacy. Some (like Ben. Bajarin) are trying hard to come up with reasons this is a smart move on Apple's part. If there was nothing to this rumor I think by now we'd have an indication of that. Even of Apple wouldn't officially comment there's nothing stopping them from whispering in re/code or WSJ's ear.

1) If it's announced then that is the right time to be shocked, if one is so inclined.

2) As noted many times, for 2013 they appear to have revenues about 1/2 of and profits 1/10th the rumoured acquisition price, "humanizing" lists that Apple probably can't reasonably create on their own, and a domination of the higher-end headphone market that is not unlike Apple's domination of the higher-end handset, PMP, tablet, and traditional "PC" markets. If those things are true an argument that Apple would lose money with Beats becomes very difficult, even if I personally can't see Apple using the Beats brand in their products.