Rumored 'iPhone 6' dummy compared to iPhone 5s as more alleged 3D renders leak online

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
A pair of reports on Saturday claim to reveal a bit more information about Apple's upcoming 4.7-inch "iPhone 6," with one comparing a widely circulated dummy of the larger handset against an iPhone 5s, while the other features 3D renderings purportedly from an Apple partner supplier.

In a set of pictures obtained by French gadget site nowhereelse.fr., a supposed dummy mockup of Apple's forthcoming 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is pitted against a current-model iPhone 5s. A number of these supposed mockups have been making the rounds in China over the past weeks -- each bringing an increasingly high level of detail -- with the first pictured in late March.

Labeled as an "industrial model," the purported prototyping tool measures 138mm long, 67mm wide and 7mm thick. Previous speculation based on similar dummy models pegged a thickness of 6.1mm, which is the exact depth of Apple's iPod touch and 1.5mm slimmer the iPhone 5s. In a report last week, a different mockup was compared side-by-side to an iPod touch, illustrating the thinness of the latest dummy models.

As seen in the pictures above, the mockup sports curved edges, round speaker ports and a "softer" aesthetic more in line with the design style introduced by the original iPad mini. Like past renders and mockups, Saturday's version includes a round LED flash port, painted lines suggesting a segmented three-panel chassis design and protruding rear camera.

A separate report claims to show high-resolution 3D renderings of the 4.7-inch next-gen iPhone supposedly taken from Apple's supply chain. Posted to Chinese Apple forum Feng.com and subsequently spotted by GforGames, the images corroborate previous design detail rumors, including a side-positioned wake/sleep button, rounded volume controls, round LED flash, segmented rear panel and more.

Source: Feng.com

With exact measurements shown onscreen matching those from the dummy model detailed above, it is likely that the schematic -- or one like it -- was used as a basis for the mockups floating around East Asia. This is not to say that the either are legitimate, but rather the two "leaked" bits of information are likely closely related.

Apple is widely expected to introduce two iPhone models in 2014, both of which are thought to boast larger screen sizes than prior models. Recent reports have claimed Apple's supply chain is ramping production of the smaller 4.7-inch version for a launch as soon as August, while a larger 5.5-inch "phablet" model is said to debut weeks or months later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 168
    acatomicacatomic Posts: 60member
    Let just wait for September ;)
  • Reply 2 of 168
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    That's better looking than the 5s. I'm thinking it'll be super-sexy in real metal.
  • Reply 3 of 168

I'm very skeptical about these iPhone renderings. First the iPhone 4 and 5 are much more beautiful than this design. It doesn't even come close to these in terms of aesthetics. But most telling is the flash. "True Tone" dual-LED flash is used on the 5s. I can't see Apple taking a step backwards with this single LED flash. Perhaps it's an pod touch design?

• Reply 4 of 168
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    That's better looking than the 5s. I'm thinking it'll be super-sexy in real metal.
    Not digging the wide painted lines on the back. I'm hoping the final product doesn't have that. Or the removal of the chamfered edges. Even the buttons appear to be missing chamfers. Everything looks like a step down from something luxurious. And this same site also has a leak of a black/slate model which seems odd considering Apple replaced the slate model with space gray with the 5S. Unless they found a way to produce a black case that doesn't easily show scuffs and scratches?
  • Reply 5 of 168
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    acatomic wrote: »
    Let just wait for September ;)
    Judging by the rate of leaks and other info I'd suggest that the phones will come much earlier. They could announce at WWDC and ship a month later.
  • Reply 6 of 168
    peterbobpeterbob Posts: 60member
    A lot of iPhone fanboy thumbs are going to get magically longer this fall.

In all seriousness this looks awesome. I've been waiting for the iPhone to get bigger. Depending if apple fixes app linking in iOS 8 this might be might first iPhone since the iPhone 4. Bring it I'm ready apple.
  • Reply 7 of 168
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Please Apple have the Apple logo light up on the back of the iPhone 6, like the MacBook Pros. That would be so cool.
  • Reply 8 of 168
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I'm not really liking these mockups personally. They seem to be more in line with all the other smartphones and not distinct at all. Now, granted they are all just rumored and what not. I like the square design of the 5/5S better than this rounded mockup. But, I still have 1.5 years left on my 5S so I won't be upgrading anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 168
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I'm very skeptical about these iPhone renderings. First the iPhone 4 and 5 are much more beautiful than this design. It doesn't even come close to these in terms of aesthetics. But most telling is the flash. "True Tone" dual-LED flash is used on the 5s. I can't see Apple taking a step backwards with this single LED flash. Perhaps it's an pod touch design?

I would agree, but why is there a mute button on the side then?

dimmok wrote: »
    Please Apple have the Apple logo light up on the back of the iPhone 6, like the MacBook Pros. That would be so cool.

The competition couldn't Beat that, yeah. (they even filled for a patent on the leaf in their logo)
  • Reply 10 of 168
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

And kill battery life for no good reason.

• Reply 11 of 168
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Like I said beforehand highly doubt we see 6.1mm on the next iPhone- likely that was the touch. 7mm sounds much more likely, as the camera wouldn't not protrude.
  • Reply 12 of 168
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member

Given the big deal they made about the 5c/5s still being able to work one-handed with the average thumb, I'm not sure it'll be as simple as "make-phone-bigger".  Once your fingertips are wrapped around the width of the current 4/5 frames, your thumb is kinda at it's limit.  Go another half inch and your thumb's arc becomes uselessly smaller when you grip a wider phone.  That also balances against the "thin-as-a-touch" rumors - the Touch supports two radios - BT and WiFi - the Phone supports four: cell, BT WiFi and GPS.  That's a lot for a battery that will have to go from a .30" to .24" case depth unless the unit gets correspondingly taller and wider, then you're back to the use issue.  It would be nice to get to a res on the phones that would allow for all-app horizontal use like the iPads do.  

• Reply 13 of 168
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Those corners don't look like Jony Ive corners. They are irregular and but ugly. Ive wouldn't have something that looks like it was moulded from clay by a 5 year old.

• Reply 14 of 168

I keep seeing people say this, but it makes no sense. Obviously the two-"LED" flash was an interim solution based on off-the shelf parts. Remember that these "LED"s aren't really LEDs—they're fluorescent lights that just happen to be pumped by a blue LED instead of a mercury-vapor tube. You can get any spectrum you want by using different mixtures of phosphors. A standard "LED" light like my little reading light in the bedroom has that big spike in the blue from the LED, and then a hump in the red and orange from the phosphor, with a gigantic slump in the middle—the overall effect is supposed to vaguely remind you of a blackbody curve for natural sunlight. Obviously for photography this is no good—Apple briefly supplemented that missing yellow and green with a second "LED", but obviously now they can acquire full-spectrum single units.

Maybe someday we'll have real LEDs that are bright enough so that combinations of red, green and blue can give us the LED lights we thought we were waiting for all these years, without the limitations of at most 4% efficiency and phosphor aging like these bogus "LED"s.
  • Reply 15 of 168
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Physically impossible and worthless for use.

• Reply 16 of 168
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Well iphone 5 was already too long and could not fit a shirt pocket unlike iPhone 4. But this freaking monster is even longer. Just get rid of the bezels and make the finger print sensor built into the screen, and if the tech is not ready, keep the current screen size.
  • Reply 17 of 168
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Doing this would be great except that doing this would put an unnecessary drain on the battery. 

• Reply 18 of 168
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    jpellino wrote: »
    Given the big deal they made about the 5c/5s still being able to work one-handed with the average thumb, I'm not sure it'll be as simple as "make-phone-bigger".  Once your fingertips are wrapped around the width of the current 4/5 frames, your thumb is kinda at it's limit.  Go another half inch and your thumb's arc becomes uselessly smaller when you grip a wider phone.  That also balances against the "thin-as-a-touch" rumors - the Touch supports two radios - BT and WiFi - the Phone supports four: cell, BT WiFi and GPS.  That's a lot for a battery that will have to go from a .30" to .24" case depth unless the unit gets correspondingly taller and wider, then you're back to the use issue.  It would be nice to get to a res on the phones that would allow for all-app horizontal use like the iPads do.  
    That's what I think the side mounted power button is for. You press it once with your thumb then the screen display (the display on the screen, not the screen itself of course!) shrinks around it to the 4 inches of the current 5S allowing for one handed/one thumb operation as usual. Once you've finished what you need to do, you press the power button again and the screen display jumps back to cover the entire 4.7/5.5 inches of the next-gen iPhones.
  • Reply 19 of 168
    dcj001 wrote: »
    dimmok wrote: »

Doing this would be great except that doing this would put an unnecessary drain on the battery. 

They could fill the hollow of the logo with that really lingery phosphor they used to use on clock hands so they'd glow in the dark (for a while). Hopefully they could find some formulation that gave a different color than that pastel green....

EDIT: But they won't, because those phosphors are seriously poisonous—and they were worried about the little tiny bit of arsenic in glass.
  • Reply 20 of 168
    I keep seeing people say this, but it makes no sense. Obviously the two-"LED" flash was an interim solution based on off-the shelf parts. Remember that these "LED"s aren't really LEDs—they're fluorescent lights that just happen to be pumped by a blue LED instead of a mercury-vapor tube. You can get any spectrum you want by using different mixtures of phosphors. A standard "LED" light like my little reading light in the bedroom has that big spike in the blue from the LED, and then a hump in the red and orange from the phosphor, with a gigantic slump in the middle—the overall effect is supposed to vaguely remind you of a blackbody curve for natural sunlight. Obviously for photography this is no good—Apple briefly supplemented that missing yellow and green with a second "LED", but obviously now they can acquire full-spectrum single units.

Maybe someday we'll have real LEDs that are bright enough so that combinations of red, green and blue can give us the LED lights we thought we were waiting for all these years, without the limitations of at most 4% efficiency and phosphor aging like these bogus "LED"s.

You are confused.

The iPhone 5s's dual LED feature give the phone control over the color temperature of the flash. Any "white" light has a temperature between cool ("bluish" cast, like HID headlights, ~6500K) and warm ("yellowish" cast, like filament bulbs, ~3000K). Photographers know this, which is why they use gels (color filters) on electronic flashes to match the ambient color temperature of the environment. The iPhone 5s has a cool and warm flash lamp with the ability to mix the two in different ratios automatically. This is an alternative to using gels.

"Full spectrum" has nothing to do with this. It's a marketing term that doesn't say anything about color temperature. It means all wavelengths of light are emitted, not just red, green, and blue, which are the only 3 wavelengths that contribute to our perception of color. Lights marketed as "full spectrum" still have a (single) color temperature rating, which may or may not match the temperature of the ambient light when photographing a scene. So, it is not a solution to the color temperature problem.

My assumption is that two LEDs could share the same aperture, assuming Apple wants to keep this feature. Or these fake models made from fake leaked specs are wrong about that. A copy of an copy of a copy of an error is also an error. And there's a whole industry cropping up to supply websites like nowhereelse.fr their manufactured news.