Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple

Comments

• Reply 221 of 243
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    No reason that I know! I see the concept being applied to Music, Videos, browsing, books, shopping ...

Shopping is an interesting topic. Culture often dictates both musical tastes and shopping habits. Could Apple be looking at a bigger picture here?

I posted the following, earlier -- you were busy ...

I'd add that shopping is often a social activity.

Interview of Iovine with Mossberg: http://live.wsj.com/video/producer-jimmy-iovine-at-d-dive-into-media/B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21.html#!B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21 (video, approx. 40 minutes)

1) He pooh-poohs Apple's included headphones. For that reason alone I'd like to see Apple do anything that will correct that.

2) This makes me think about the previous rumour of high-quality music being sold. Could Iovine be instrumental in getting that to happen?

3) Beats bought MOG earlier this year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOG_(online_music)

4) Iovine talks about how Spotify is limited. He makes a lot of good points.

5) That algorithm sounds like it's right up Apple's street.

6) I love what he had to said (starting about 28 minutes in) about how music companies will never get technology right and technology companies will never get curation right. I'm digging this idea of excellent curation and I do want to know what the next song is.

I don't mean to cherry-pick your quotes -- rather to curate them ;)

I think this could be a new buying service -- kinda' iTunes on steroids.

Think of it this way, it [Apple] knows (with your approval):
    • who you are
    • where you are
    • what you're doing
    • what kind of mood you're in
    • what stimulates your various moods
    • your credit card
    • potentially
      • How much money you have to spend
      • what you want to buy
      • what is important to you
      • who you want to buy it from
      • comparative products, sources and prices
      • what's in your shopping cart

We're talking' about a curation engine that understands you!

Of what value could that possibly be?

For those who didn't see it in the earlier thread:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 222 of 243
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Now there are rumours they will be made Apple executives!
    At least having a doctor on board gives credence to the rumors of health-focused gadgets¡ image

Why would this be limited to iTunes Radio? Why wouldn't it be able to make great playlist based on the music I own?

Dr Dre will be an Apple executive. Dear me. The more I hear about this the more I hate it. I hope Jony jumps ship while he still has some integrity left.

• Reply 223 of 243
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Quote:

At least having a doctor on board gives credence to the rumors of health-focused gadgets¡ image

Why would this be limited to iTunes Radio? Why wouldn't it be able to make great playlist based on the music I own?

Just wait for them to confirm and flesh out the deal for us.

Interesting if they stay on as executives. If it's part time, then Apple will need someone powerful enough in HQ to run the show though. Will that be Tim or Eddy or someone else ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Dr Dre will be an Apple executive. Dear me. The more I hear about this the more I hate it. I hope Jony jumps ship while he still has some integrity left.

Well, Steve Jobs and other execs failed to get Ping off the ground. May be it's time to give someone else a chance. They are music insiders after all.

I love the uncharacteristic move so far. Makes the company more unpredictable and adventurous after a long march. Eager to see the final deal either way.

• Reply 224 of 243
    patsu wrote: »
    [CONTENTEMBED=/t/179347/beats-deal-defenders-cite-humanized-music-subscription-service-as-benefit-to-apple/200#post_2531093 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]

At least having a doctor on board gives credence to the rumors of health-focused gadgets¡ :\

Just wait for them to confirm and flesh out the deal for us.

Interesting if they stay on as executives. If it's part time, then Apple will need someone powerful enough in HQ to run the show though. Will that be Tim or Eddy or someone else ?

rogifan wrote: »

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/179347/beats-deal-defenders-cite-humanized-music-subscription-service-as-benefit-to-apple/200#post_2531116 layout=inline]

Well, Steve Jobs and other execs failed to get Ping off the ground. May be it's time to give someone else a chance. They are music insiders after all.

[/CONTENTEMBED]

I love the uncharacteristic move so far. Makes the company more unpredictable and adventurous after a long march. Eager to see the final deal either way.

It may be like herding cats … But there's got to be some way for a company like Apple to include the perspective of creatives in their decision-making process.

No one has all the answers -- not many understand or know all the questions!
  • Reply 225 of 243
    Yeah, but will it adjust my furnace or detect smoke?
  • Reply 226 of 243
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've only used the app for about 15 minutes and the curating process is pretty damn good.

Color me skeptical… not because i don't believe it's good, just because don't think ANY system, human or AI, can play to my eclectic tastes. I don't imagine I'm alone, either.

A look back through recently played tracks on my device brings up Aretha Franklin, Green Day, One Republic, Michael Bublé, Pharrell, Bruno Mars, BB King, Pablo Cruise, Maurizio Pollini playing Beethoven, The Crystal Method and Pete Seeger. I don't need a system that tries (unsuccessfully) to guess what I like, I need something that listens to the room and hears me call out what I want next!

• Reply 227 of 243
    rkanagarkanaga Posts: 11member
    Apple spends 3.2 billion to get a company making 10% of that sum in net profit

That's way more than they earn in their cash and also cheaper than any bond they have issued.

They get Jimmy Iovine, Dre, and the streaming service to kick start an iTunes streaming service on top if that.

What's not to like?
  • Reply 228 of 243
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rkanaga wrote: »
    Apple spends 3.2 billion to get a company making 10% of that sum in net profit

That's way more than they earn in their cash and also cheaper than any bond they have issued.

They get Jimmy Iovine, Dre, and the streaming service to kick start an iTunes streaming service on top if that.

What's not to like?

Until we better understand what is involved in their agreement (assuming there is an agreement), $3.2 billion is a very large expenditure which seems difficult to justify at this point. Especially because it goes against the grain of known Apple acquisitions (technology versus style, which until now Apple has provided). The optics of the deal are that Apple is simply buying customers...something companies like GE are known for, not Apple.
  • Reply 229 of 243
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I can't help thinking it actually is about the headphones. I don't think the iWatch exists, it was just a red herring designed to make Samsung and others race to release a useless bit of hardware. If Healthbook is true, and we're going to see hardware that monitors heart rate etc, then headphones are perfect for adding sensors. People already wear them and especially when excercising. Smart headphones are Apple's secret product I think.
  • Reply 230 of 243
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I can't help thinking it actually is about the headphones. I don't think the iWatch exists, it was just a red herring designed to make Samsung and others race to release a useless bit of hardware. If Healthbook is true, and we're going to see hardware that monitors heart rate etc, then headphones are perfect for adding sensors. People already wear them and especially when excercising. Smart headphones are Apple's secret product I think.

The reason Beats' headphones; division can't mean much here is that, if they specifically sell that out to someone, all they have of value (and it's a lot) is the brand recognition and fan base.  No technology, no patents of any significance, no asset that gives the company a leg into the next big thing, which could happen if they buy something.  If there's anything else they turn out to have in there of value in marketing, distribution etc, Apple doesn't need it.   They don't need Beats, who have their headphones made in Asian factories same as Apple, to make their iWatch.  

• Reply 231 of 243
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Until we better understand what is involved in their agreement (assuming there is an agreement), $3.2 billion is a very large expenditure which seems difficult to justify at this point. Especially because it goes against the grain of known Apple acquisitions (technology versus style, which until now Apple has provided). The optics of the deal are that Apple is simply buying customers...something companies like GE are known for, not Apple.

It's an unprecedented amount for Apple to spend on an acquisition (although they do seem to spend a lot on component investments) but if the info [@]rkanaga[/@] states is accurate then $3.2 billion would mean it's a good buy for Apple.

PS: Honestly, as a personal choice, if there has to be a first billionaire of hip hop I would rather it be Dre than Jay-Z or Kanye West. I think My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is they best album of the 21st century but I can't stand Kanye as a person.
  • Reply 232 of 243
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

I'm reading it as throwing a little ice water on the hoopla of their positions:   "The report does not seem to indicate that the two men will be full-time employees. Rather, it seems possible that the pair will commute and take meetings as needed. In the modern world of technology, working remotely is not a far-fetched possibility."

Realistically, it's possible that the positions aren't based on any great expectations Apple has for them there, just that it's part of the package of being bought.

At least for some.

Well, half.

• Reply 233 of 243
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member

So its selling-point is to replicate mix tapes.

Surely, the whole fun of mix tapes was in the making of them. Why would you want to leave that to a computer? And how is that any different to making a custom playlist now, which you can guarantee is going to have your favourite music, as opposed to a stranger's mix tape, which is likely to be hit and miss?

• Reply 234 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Hmmm… in spite of my predilection to make a joke about overpriced form-over-function products at this point, I can't see any upside for Apple in this case. I've tried many products over the years, and by far the best bud-type solution is Apple's own. Beats, as the name suggests, are typical of modern base-heavy tuning that ruins the sound quality of anything other than hip-hop (and that too, but then it's a "good thing"). Apple has enough overpriced crap in it's lineup, it doesn't need this.

Great comment.

• Reply 235 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Keep Calm and Allow Time for the Rumors to Die Down. Let us know if you're in real distress and we'll bring the smelling salts! ;)

I'm trying to keep calm, but honestly speaking, this is the most distressing Apple rumor that I have ever read in my entire life.

I'm not sure what I'd do. I would obviously not switch to another platform like Android or anything like that. I guess that I have enough Apple devices that I've acquired throughout the years to last me until I drop dead, so I should be set.

Sometimes, I think what it would be like to get rid of all my electronic gadgets except hifi. No iPhone, no iPad, no iMac, no tv. Just books, piano and music. It appeals to me.

• Reply 236 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by patsu View Post

I dug around a bit. The earlier headphones may be crappy but the newer ones seem pretty good. So that's good to know.

Everything I've read indicates their headphones are still bass-heavy, which might be fine for hip-hop, but bad for rock, classical, etc.

In other words, they are good if you like listening to noise, but bad if you like listening to music.

Got it.

• Reply 237 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've only used the app for about 15 minutes and the curating process is pretty damn good.

Color me skeptical… not because i don't believe it's good, just because don't think ANY system, human or AI, can play to my eclectic tastes. I don't imagine I'm alone, either.

A look back through recently played tracks on my device brings up Aretha Franklin, Green Day, One Republic, Michael Bublé, Pharrell, Bruno Mars, BB King, Pablo Cruise, Maurizio Pollini playing Beethoven, The Crystal Method and Pete Seeger. I don't need a system that tries (unsuccessfully) to guess what I like, I need something that listens to the room and hears me call out what I want next!

Bingo! Nor do I want a system to play things based on my 'mood.' I want to be surprised and delighted by music that I love. Like you, I have eclectic tastes, that I bet no curation system would cater to, or even begin to. Music I love, I give five stars to and set to shuffle on a playlist. No curation is going to beat that.

• Reply 238 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I've written a few posts suggesting the same thing.

• Reply 239 of 243

deal okay if beats kept as separate brand - just not sure if apple can allow its sub-brand to 'not pay' 30% itunes tax - brings up anti-trust issue?!

• Reply 240 of 243

per point no. 3 - could this be for car audio integration?