BEWARE iPhone BUYERS IN INDIA!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015

Wanted to let buyers in India know that Apple India does not support any repairs associated with physical damage like screen crack. The existing policy is to offer a full replacement at 50% of the original cost of the phone!! How crazy is that?? I bought a 5c two weeks ago and it slipped out of my hand cracking the screen. When I approached Apple to replace the screen they said this is not done in India and offered to replace the complete phone but I was expected to pay Rs 22k for it!! Doesn't make any sense when such support is available in other countries. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    You should get insurance to cover accidental damage - get some for your replacement phone. If you buy a new car and crash it, the company you bought it from won't give you a new one, you claim for it on your car insurance. Apple does sometimes switch out phones under warranty but usually for defects of some kind, not for water damage or breakages.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    brunobruno Posts: 2member

Marvin the point is not about not spending anything to get stuff repaired. When you crash your car and the windscreen shatters, as an example, you do not replace the whole car! Even if you have insurance. What would you do if the car company came back and said "here take a new car and by the way pay half the price of a new one, we do not replace windscreens?!!"

No one is objecting to not wanting to pay for repairs but the solution in this case is beyond bizarre!! My point, customers in India need to be told that physical damage repairs are not undertaken and will result in a substantial payout to fix when they buy iPhones in India as I have learnt to my utter surprise. 

• Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    bruno wrote: »
    No one is objecting to not wanting to pay for repairs but the solution in this case is beyond bizarre!! My point, customers in India need to be told that physical damage repairs are not undertaken and will result in a substantial payout to fix when they buy iPhones in India as I have learnt to my utter surprise.

I see, it's the expense of the repair. Some people have commented on this here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5557191?tstart=0

It looks like they charge a higher fee and switch out the whole phone for damage that isn't covered by the warranty - your fee was over $360, which does seem high in comparison to the $269 price mentioned in that thread. I'm sure they laminate the glass to the display panel so they'd have to give you a new display panel, not just cover glass but the price for replacing the panel shouldn't be that high.

There was an article a while ago saying they'd start doing screen repairs in store:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/06/apples-in-store-iphone-screen-repair-machine-brings-china-to-the-genius-room

They probably can't do that in every store and in places like India where it's resellers, switching the phone would be the only option.

Still, no matter the cost, that's what insurance is for as it would be them that covers that cost. Windscreen replacements are covered under car insurance.
  • Reply 4 of 5

I'd bet you can find some OTHER place that can/will replace just the screen for you ... for a much  more reasonable price.

That's certainly the case here in the U.S. ... in large cities there are people that make it their business to do such repairs on all sorts of phones.

• Reply 5 of 5

I got screen of my iPhone 6+ shattered. the strange part of the policy is if you are purchasing it from any Apple store in India, no other insurer would be available, even in Reliance degital stores No option to het iphone insured.

Any mis happ with phone and Apple would replace it with 50% price.

Strange.... and true