Apple wants Beats Music, but likely to keep Beats hardware alive after deal - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 168
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I just realized that most people are upset cause of racism and nothing else. Apple might have a black guy who curses working as an executive, as opposed to a white guy who drops acid.

Go away.  If you want to be hung up on color, or think anyone who opposes the acquisition of company that happens to have an african american as part-owner is a racist- then you have no business posting here- because you are acting ignorant.

• Reply 22 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also find it hilarious that Tim Cook, who promised to double down on security and Tim Cook and Apple, who have been very active in making their voices known about equal rights would choose to associate themselves with a misogynistic homophobe. 

I do think that Iovine is talented, Dr. Dre doesn't impress me.

I agree about the association.  But in Tim's defense, it wasn't his fault it got "leaked".  Blame that on a multi-millionaire who gets drunk, posts videos, and acts like this is his first big deal he's ever made.  For someone who's had money for the better part of 2 decades, he sure acts like he just got it yesterday.

• Reply 23 of 168
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How is Beats perceived as a premium brand? 

They got a few athletes to wear them, but that's exactly what Samsung does. Needless to say, I don't take headphone advice from any paid celebrities and I don't think that Apple should emulate other crappy company's marketing strategies.

It makes perfect sense that Beats and Monster were so close, because I feel the same way about Monster Cables that I do about beats headphones. Ridiculously overpriced and not worth it.

• Reply 24 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How is Beats perceived as a premium brand? Just because their headphones are expensive? I would argue Beats is perceived as an overpriced brand. I don't get why Apple would want to be associated with that.

I don't own a pair, and don't like them- but it's definitely a premium brand.  Nothing breaks down or has worse reliability ratings than german cars, but they are premium vehicles.  Premium doesn't always equal quality, unfortunately.

• Reply 25 of 168
    justp1ayinjustp1ayin Posts: 213member
    andysol wrote: »
    Go away.  If you want to be hung up on color, or think anyone who opposes the acquisition of company that happens to have an african american as part-owner is a racist- then you have no business posting here- because you are acting ignorant.

I'm not really talking about people who say they oppose the buyout because of business reasons. I'm talking about the dozens of people (read the comments on here) who are appalled that apple would let someone like dr Dre be an executive.

Don't be afraid to talk about it just cause it makes you uncomfortable buddy
  • Reply 26 of 168
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure, I see your point about the picture I posted and they certainly improved on their own between that time and when Apple bought them, but how much did Apple do to make Touch ID as small, fast and secure as it is? Did AuthenTec's scanner also enable with a capacitive sensor ring? Did AuthenTec's scanner also work that fast? Did AuthenTec's scanner also use a "secure enclave" to store the fingerprint hashes? Did AuthenTec's scanner store the fingerprints or just a hash? Could it be used in as many directions as Touch ID?

I don't have a definite answer on those questions either, but making all those adjustments in about 8 months (which should include an extensive testing period) seems almost impossible so some of those definitely would already have been in place, my guess would be that the sensor ring and the ability to use it in many directions would have been in place as they are hardware related, and essential, to the actual sensor. edit: ( Unless of course Apple had those already in place and was looking for a sensor, but then why buy the complete company? It seems likely that there was something special about Authentec's sensors (and probably IP) that made them buy worthy.)

The 'secure enclave' on the other hand would be part of the implementation and definitely seems to be Apple's work (it's their SoC that stores it so doesn't seem illogical). 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would expect Apple to go for accurate sound with premium headphones as much as they go for accurate displays on their devices even if that lack of over saturation does make some think that it's not as good as their competitor's devices.

I expect and at the same time really hope so too. Also the current earpods could use some improvement, so maybe this acquisition is a good sign for improvement there.

• Reply 27 of 168
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I agree about the association.  But in Tim's defense, it wasn't his fault it got "leaked".  Blame that on a multi-millionaire who gets drunk, posts videos, and acts like this is his first big deal he's ever made.  For someone who's had money for the better part of 2 decades, he sure acts like he just got it yesterday.

Of course it wasn't Tim Cook's fault that any video got leaked, but now that it has been, the ball is in Tim Cook's court.

I wouldn't trust that person (Dre) to be any Apple executive, they act like a child and they've already proven that they can't be trusted.

• Reply 28 of 168
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member

It doesn't make sense unless Apple can sell more *Apple* hardware after the deal.

And it absolutely doesn't make sense for Apple to spend $3B so they can sell aftermarket accessories, especially if they don't brand them Apple.

They're not going to pursue the streaming service solely as a money-making venture - Apple is hardware, they have iTunes and iCloud and such as value added services to make the Apple hardware more valuable and appealing, and it's the Apple hardware that earns them the vast majority of their revenue and profit. To change their business model with this purchase and suddenly start pursuing non-hardware as real revenue streams in their own right is illogical.

There's something else here, either the whole thing is a bogus rumour, or they're after something else entirely - perhaps just the streaming service, which will be rebranded and incorporated into their existing offering, followed by the dumping of the accessories division. Leaving the Beats brand alive after the deal would be extremely strange.

• Reply 29 of 168

Dr. Dre doesn't need apple money to buy a house. You think because he's black he can't afford an expensive house? If you know the history of Dr. Dre, he's one of the most successful business men in music and had it not been for him there would be no Interscope Record, no Death Row Record, No Snoop, No Eminem or Beats By Dre. for that matter. Every one of those companies started from the bottom. He must be doing something right if everything he touches turns gold. If the Beats headphones are so bad the how on God's Green Earth does start from the ground in 2008 and now worth around a billion dollars now even without apple? People need to stop hating, just because Dre didn't come a background you or Steve Jobs came from.  

• Reply 30 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I'm not really talking about people who say they oppose the buyout because of business reasons. I'm talking about the dozens of people (read the comments on here) who are appalled that apple would let someone like dr Dre be an executive.

Don't be afraid to talk about it just cause it makes you uncomfortable buddy

I don't think he should be an executive because he acts like a fool in public.  I don't want Donald Trump as an executive either.  There- now you can't throw the race card or lack of success as a reason.  My reason- they both don't display what Apple is.  Elegant, Classy, Smart, and Sophisticated. If you think Dr. Dre is elegant, classy, and sophisticated- than you are misguided.

• Reply 31 of 168
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    [QUOTE]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/43080/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Steve Jobs famously said that Apple stands at the intersection of of Technology and the Liberal Arts. He said it more than once because he thought it was an important distinction of the company.

[B][I]In an intuitive way, [COLOR=blue]the message may have gotten through to the average person,[/COLOR] but [COLOR=blue]I don’t think professional observers and managers of technology have quite grasped what he meant.[/COLOR][/I][/B]

It’s not a glib throw-away marketing phrase. I can imagine many other, more evocative ways of saying that Apple blends the hard and the soft; the heart and mind, if you will.

His choice of words makes me believe that he meant it as a fundamental blending of two disparate and considered-opposite concepts, rather like yin-yang: things which do not naturally mix but which are complementary, interconnected, interdependent, and give rise to each other.

This interaction however is not well understood and even more rarely exploited. The reason they don’t mix well in business in particular is that individuals are typically not trained in both. Our education systems (from where these phrases originate) are unwilling or incapable of providing us with a grounding in both, so individuals tend to absorb only one or the other.

But it turns out that the interaction between these nominal opposites have determined our world to date and will continue to determine our fate. A cursory review of history shows that the “soft”, perceptive and feeling-based disciplines always combined with the analytical and judgmental to create a future which neither could create alone.

[/QUOTE]

Emphasis, mine.

http://www.asymco.com/2014/05/12/postmodern-computing-summit/#disqus_thread

[QUOTE][SIZE=4][B]liberal arts noun plural[/B][/SIZE]

: areas of study (such as history, language, and literature) that are intended to give you general knowledge rather than to develop specific skills needed for a profession

[B]Full Definition of LIBERAL ARTS[/B]

1 : the medieval studies comprising the trivium and quadrivium

2 : college or university studies (as language, philosophy, literature, abstract science) intended to provide chiefly general knowledge and to develop general intellectual capacities (as reason and judgment) as opposed to professional or vocational skills

[B]First Known Use of LIBERAL ARTS
    [/B]

14th century

[B]liberal arts (Concise Encyclopedia)[/B]

College or university curriculum aimed at imparting general knowledge and developing general intellectual capacities, in contrast to a professional, vocational, or technical curriculum. In Classical antiquity, the term designated the education proper to a freeman (Latin liber, “free”) as opposed to a slave. In the medieval Western university, the seven liberal arts were grammar, rhetoric, and logic (the trivium) and geometry, arithmetic, music, and astronomy (the quadrivium). In modern colleges and universities, the liberal arts include the study of literature, languages, philosophy, history, mathematics, and science.

[/QUOTE]

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liberal arts
  • Reply 32 of 168
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Where is the DED Weekend Special? Please, I need a change of subject! :D
  • Reply 33 of 168
    I've not used Beats, but the folks at Macworld have given it high marks for its SW design. I think it's a good purchase for Apple especially with steady decline of iTunes music purchases. I'm guess the future is subscription music.
  • Reply 34 of 168
    I've not used Beats, but the folks at Macworld have given it high marks for its SW design. I think it's a good purchase for Apple especially with steady decline of iTunes music purchases. I'm guess the future is subscription music.

Right, plus I'd mention ... most times Apple acquires a company they implement something into their existing or new products in a way that isn't even necessarily obvious. It could be iTunes will just gain new features soon and evolves over time. That said it is a first for Apple to take on a very high profile and successful brand (as far as I can recall), it will be interesting to see what they do with the name and existing hardware. I'd still like to see a Yahoo purchase, talking of high profile names.
  • Reply 35 of 168
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Then again, didn't this whole rumor originate from Bloomberg?

Who published Steve's obituary prematurely. Indeed, complete wonkers.

rogifan wrote: »
    How is Beats perceived as a premium brand?

Beats me.
  • Reply 36 of 168
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    its a premium brand.

they have 70% of the consumer premium/high end headphone business.
    I don't consider overpriced to be premium. I pay a premium for Apple products because I believe their quality, ecosystem, customer service, etc. is better than anyone else's. The Beats "premium" isn't because of superior build/sound quality. It's all because of marketing, getting high profile musicians and other celebrities to be seen wearing the headphones thus making them cool to teenagers.
  • Reply 37 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That said it is a first for Apple to take on a very high profile and successful brand (as far as I can recall), it will be interesting to see what they do with the name and existing hardware.

If true- I look forward to seeing what theyd do also.  Its definately unprecidented.  Of course, with Next, they simply integrated it.  Filemaker is the only seperately run company under the Apple umbrella.  Honestly, I think if they made "Beats" headphones "Apple" headphones- it would be bad for sales.  As much as I love apple, there is a large segment of people who "would never buy Apple".  So this is a case where I would hope they'd integrate the music streaming service, and keep the hardware seperate.  As a $300 mil profit company, $3.2b is still overpaying substantially. I'd like to see it for closer to $2b.  We'll see.

• Reply 38 of 168
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Apple should have bought…

Oh, so we have confirmation of this? Where?

Originally Posted by steelraven View Post

Dr. Dre doesn't need apple money to buy a house. You think because he's black he can't afford an expensive house? 

Keep your racism and strawmen to yourself.

• Reply 39 of 168
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    andysol wrote: »
    I don't think he should be an executive because he acts like a fool in public.  I don't want Donald Trump as an executive either.  There- now you can't throw the race card or lack of success as a reason.  My reason- they both don't display what Apple is.  Elegant, Classy, Smart, and Sophisticated. If you think Dr. Dre is elegant, classy, and sophisticated- than you are misguided.
    Yes. I'm not sure why this is so hard for some to understand. And I don't get the double standard. If one says Donald Trump had no class it would be no big deal. If one says Dre has no class and you're a racist bigot who doesn't have an open mind. :no:
  • Reply 40 of 168
    rogifan wrote: »
    I don't consider overpriced to be premium. I pay a premium for Apple products because I believe their quality, ecosystem, customer service, etc. is better than anyone else's. The Beats "premium" isn't because of superior build/sound quality. It's all because of marketing, getting high profile musicians and other celebrities to be seen wearing the headphones thus making them cool to teenagers.

I think we all know and understand your view point based on the known facts. It is a perfectly reasonable reaction. There is surely a possibility though, that there is more going on that any of us know at this point. Declaratory statements such as "It's all because ..." are a bit risky when you don't know anything other than rumor and speculation.