Dell Rips off another Apple idea:

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Look at the "swing-out" door on the new Dell:

<a href="http://www.dv.com/magazine/2002/0102/hones_roundup_2_0102.html"; target="_blank">http://www.dv.com/magazine/2002/0102/hones_roundup_2_0102.html</a>;

(Bottom pic)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    [quote] To get to the inside, Dell has created a clamshell access panel that unlatches at the back of the system and pivots on hinges up at the front of the case. This design concerned me because I could see where the action of the clamshell could inadvertently snap off the removable media access door. Worse, when I was closing the clamshell, it came down on one of the big internal fans and could have damaged the system board. Dell tells us it has since hardened the machine's production versions, which should eliminate this problem.

<hr></blockquote>

Typical Dell "innovation".
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Better hope groverat doesn't come in here and read this!

He'l hammer you for DAYS for daring to suggest that Apple pioneered or popularized ANYTHING.

• Reply 3 of 10
    I have seen and opened the Dells with that design, and it sucks!

It is a pain in the butt to open and close. It would be easier just to take a screw out the back and open the case the traditional way.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    it doesn't look very nice nor very functional...the apple opens down flat with everything layed out in front of the user...with the dell one still has to "crawl in" to get to the components...silly...g
  • Reply 5 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    You don´t need groverat to say this isn´t a rip off. Its like saying one click buy is a rip off from amazon (still can´t believe Apple actually PAY for their use of it).

But something else caught my attention

The Mac:

The Dell:

Now why on earth do the Dell need all those wires?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    Those "wires" are more commonly known as IDE cables, which interface the HDD to the chipset. On the Mac, the HDDs are mounted on the static portion of the case, whereas on the Dell, the HDDs swing out with the door--hence the "wires."

One cool thing Dell has are those cartridge 3.5" holders. You just slip a drive in one, screw it in, and pop it into the slot. I swapped a DVD-ROM drive in a Dell in less than one minute with that system.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>You don´t need groverat to say this isn´t a rip off. Its like saying one click buy is a rip off from amazon (still can´t believe Apple actually PAY for their use of it).

But something else caught my attention

The Mac:

The Dell:

Now why on earth do the Dell need all those wires?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Looks to me like the drives are in the swing out side. Stupid design. I would love a PC case as easy to open as my Powermac. then I could build a PC with one. This Dell case is not it... I have used them before, it sucks. And BTW, how is this future hardware???
  • Reply 7 of 10
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    That's some pretty intense ducting on the Dell. Creative.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>

Now why on earth do the Dell need all those wires?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's a copyright infringement force fence. It bars access from the motherboard and electorcutes mac users.
  • Reply 10 of 10