Logic Pro X gets enhanced 12-core Mac Pro support, over 300 new features and fixes in update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited May 2014
Apple on Tuesday rolled out a substantial update to its Logic Pro X professional music production software with various UI tweaks, bug fixes and, most notably, improved support for the company's top-end Mac Pro.

After launching Logic Pro X last year, Apple has made only minor changes to its pro-level digital audio workstation. The latest version 10.0.7, however, comes with more than 300 new features, UI changes, tweaks and bug fixes.

Perhaps most notably, the latest update taps into the 12-core Mac Pro's vast power reserves by addressing up to 24 processing threads simultaneously. As most of Logic's computations are handled by the CPU, power users mixing multi-channel, multi-effect sessions can expect a big boost in performance with the enhanced multithreading support.

With the ability to access 24 processing threads at once, the latest Logic Pro X should bring improvements to dynamic processing performance and the DAW's Flex modes. The extra horsepower will also help plug-in processing, finishing tracks and playback of songs with a large number of regions, among other processor-intensive tasks.

Along with advanced processing power for 12-core Mac Pros, Logic Pro X version 10.0.7 comes with a bevy of bug fixes and improvements.

When Apple released the DAW in 2013, it introduced a new feature called Flex Pitch that affords users granular control over note pitch, effects like vibrato and tone smoothing, among other adjustments. With Flex Pitch, note modifications and even melody changes can be made on the fly without opening separate tools.

The addition of Flex Pitch, which plays a companion to Flex Time, worked well on launch, though some users found performance to be slightly unresponsive. With version 10.0.7, Apple says it eliminated lag and unreliable behavior when a Flex mode is activated.

Apple provides a short list of highlights in the app's description:

What's New in Version 10.0.7
  • Now supports 24 processing threads on 12-core Mac Pro models
  • The current volume, pan, and send values for all selected tracks can now be inserted at the playhead position
  • Enabling Low Latency Mode no longer creates sync issues for Drummer, Ultrabeat, Native Instruments Machine and other plug-ins with integrated step sequencers
  • Automation can now be copied and pasted to any location using the Marquee tool
  • Adds an option for MIDI volume and pan data to control the instrument plug-in instead of the channel strip
  • Resolves several snap and alignment guide issues
  • Various fixes that improve XML import and export with Final Cut Pro X
  • Contains multiple enhancements to Accessibility
A complete list of the more than 300 new features and fixes can be found on Apple's Logic Pro X 10.0.7 release notes webpage.

The update comes more than six months after a batch of updates to Apple's pro creation suite -- Aperture, Logic Pro X and Final Cut Pro X -- optimized the software for the then-new Mac Pro. Today's update is seen as an extension to prior releases as Apple continues mold its pro apps to harness the Mac Pro's advanced hardware architecture.

Logic Pro X version 10.0.7 is available for $199.99 from the Mac App Store, while existing users can download the update for free via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Awesome!! However, I wonder why the article's emphasis on 12 cores though, what about all the other versions of the new Mac Pro?

Now ... a new Aperture please Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Awesome!! However, I wonder why the article's emphasis on 12 cores though, what about all the other versions of the new Mac Pro?

It scales to 24 threads, which means 12 cores, so I imagine increasing the thread count to max out all cores available is the reason for emphasizing the 12-core.

• Reply 3 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

The max was 8 cores (16 threads) before I believe.

• Reply 4 of 15
    It scales to 24 threads, which means 12 cores, so I imagine increasing the thread count to max out all cores available is the reason for emphasizing the 12-core.

Thanks for the reply. I phrased that poorly, I should have just asked, as a user of a new 6 core Mac Pro and Logic Pro X, will I and other new Mac Pros see a gain too?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Makes me want to buy a new machine right now.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    aussiepaulaussiepaul Posts: 144member
    Agree, where is Aperture X?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Somewhere in a lab in Cupertino.

• Reply 8 of 15
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member

Logic Pro X the best and the price is right.

• Reply 9 of 15
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member

• It is now possible to install the Logic content to an alternate system drive even if the Logic application is not installed there.

Thank you. This is part of why I've held off on buying. My desktop (Mini) has dual SSDs, and they tend to run fairly full. Now I don't have to worry about clearing up another 36gb of space for samples and loops!

• Reply 10 of 15
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

I'm sure you'll get a new Aperture sometime in the near future.  If you have features you want, send the request to Apple Feedback site. They do manage to put whatever they can that makes sense.  They can't read minds that I'm aware of, so this is the place to send those requests. ;-)

www.apple.com/feedback/

• Reply 11 of 15
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member

Huge update! So many fixes... It's great to see Logic getting this attention.

Now, if only it could somehow utilise those GPUs in the nMacPro......

• Reply 12 of 15
    drblank wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll get a new Aperture sometime in the near future.  If you have features you want, send the request to Apple Feedback site. They do manage to put whatever they can that makes sense.  They can't read minds that I'm aware of, so this is the place to send those requests. ;-)

www.apple.com/feedback/

Having just read the new feature list in Logic Pro X, I am pretty sure Apple don't need my input on anything lol. Jeez, what a list! I am a registered Apple developer and do plenty of feedback, but thanks for the suggestion and useful link ;).

That said, Apple's software developments so often go in a direction that ordinary mortals haven't even dreamt of, let alone can suggest, in fact many can't even accept for a while until their blinkered minds open up a bit. The one time I was on the fence was over FCPro X, not because of FCPro X itself rather because of the sudden cut off of 7 which left major production houses in a hell of a spot. Apple did recant and keep 7 available for a while longer after that ... but that's now water under the bridge. Now as I watch 4K go through FCPro X 10+ on a new Mac Pro, as fast as NTSC used to on a Dual G5 Mac Pro, I just smile.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    argonaut wrote: »
    Huge update! So many fixes... It's great to see Logic getting this attention.
    Now, if only it could somehow utilise those GPUs in the nMacPro......

I hear you, I may be wrong but I think that's more to do with the type of computations being done, some are CPU and some are GPU oriented, Logix, is more the former I think. This of course feeds into the dual CPU arguments for the next Mac Pro I'd expect. We need mdriftmeyer to explain this to us ordinary folk :)
  • Reply 14 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Those Release Notes are impressive. I wish Apple would issue those for all applications.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    No modification to the older plugin GUIs for retina support?