Microsoft Office for iPad arrives: Word, Excel & PowerPoint now available to download

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by gman5541 View Post

Also, Microsoft Office might as well be like HFCS (LOL) ; it's everywhere. You can subsist without it, but it's tough.

Drinking water, milk, 100% juice, and soda with only sugar isn’t tough. It’s better.

• Reply 42 of 51
    terun78terun78 Posts: 36member
    I just created a free trial of office 365 and I must say that was a waste of megabytes that I will never get back. Office for iPad is doomed. My opinion, stick to iWork, same functionality and it's free!
  • Reply 43 of 51
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    2010 - Ballmer says Windows will shame iPad:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/03/ballmer_ozzie_d8/

2014 - Microsoft raises the white flag and now gives us NO reason to buy a Windows tablet.

Hooray for the consumption only iPad!
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

For the complainers of the subscription model calm down and look at it rationally. I'm going to use New Zealand dollars here because that's where I live.

Office Professional costs $859. This is the ONLY version of Office that comes on par with Office 365 Home Premium.

Office 365 Home Premium costs $165 / year so divide $859 by $165 and you will get 5.2 years worth of use for the price you've paid for Office Pro.

But it's worse than that for old Office Pro. Office Pro can only be installed on 1 PC meaning to fill the 5 licenses of Office 365 you would have to spend $4295.

So how many years of Office 365 usage would you get for that price? 26 years and during that time you'd be getting all the updates that comes with Office 365 whereas with Office Pro you only ever get that one version.

You can rail on the subscription rate all you want but the fact remains there is ridiculous amounts of value for money under the subscription rates rather than buying outright.

Almost the same calculations I made when my wife wanted Access... buy a copy of Office 2011 (or something), or opt for a 365 subscription.

I went for the subscription and now I have an added bonus of being able to use this on my iPad!

• Reply 45 of 51
    It is available for a one time purchase without a subscription, but at the cost of $109.99 for each app for iPad.

are you insane?!
  • Reply 46 of 51
    jack cjack c Posts: 12member

I think that this is good. I will only use the free versions for viewing and presenting. I hate when my Keynote messes the settings of ppt files my friends send me. Now I can see them like they should be and even present. I tested today and works fine. Not willing to pay for Office. I like my iWork suite and it get my job done for free.

• Reply 47 of 51

OpenOffice for iPad would be something nice to see.

• Reply 48 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by cashaww View Post

OpenOffice for iPad would be something nice to see.

Why, when iWork is better and free?

• Reply 49 of 51

I like to always have more than just one set of tools.

• Reply 50 of 51
    If you only need to print and covert documents to PDF, it's better to use Documents Viewer (http://nektony.com/documents-viewer) This app opens documents the way they were created in desktop version.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    I think Microsoft fails its incursion in iOS world with its Office app. This subscription model would have been interesting if not so scarily expensive ($100!!).
    Personally, with QuickEdit for doc editing and Beesy for productivity and project management I%u2019m fine and wouldn%u2019t change even it Office was affordable. Anyway Microsoft already lost the little sympathy I used to have for them.