IDC forecasts 'challenging' year for tablets as Apple's iPad continues to lead

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Nexus 7 is way too small to consider, 16:10 is worse than 4:3 for a tablet, and neither has an OS or ecosystem that makes the user experience even close to being compared to the App Store..

I used to think that 10" was the perfect size for a tablet.  But I have realized with some surprise that the Nexus 7 gets used a heck of a lot more in my house than the 2 Nexus 10s I have.  I have no idea what apps you use and for your usage, you may well find the iPad indispensable, but I have to say, that I have not missed the iPad one iota.  About the only app I missed was Flipboard, but that got ported to Android ages ago.  That was the app I used the most on the iPad and is also probably amongst the most used ones on my Nexuses.  I'm a news junkie.  The Nexus 7 is surprisingly addictive.  My wife uses it for reading books as well.  But IMO, the e-ink Nook has that beat hands down.

• Reply 102 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    os2baba wrote: »
    I used to think that 10" was the perfect size for a tablet.  But I have realized with some surprise that the Nexus 7 gets used a heck of a lot more in my house than the 2 Nexus 10s I have.

All the "widescreen" tablets seem poor for reading. Check out the Kindle eBooks. How many of them are using a 16:9 aspect ratio? 16:10 is slightly better but not by much. Around 4:3 is more ideal for an all around table that you're doing more than watching TV shows on.

Now does that change with a 12" iPad? Perhaps because at that point, assuming the PPI stays around the same as it is now, you have enough length on the shorted. Aspect ratio needs be analyzed with each diagonal size and usage type. This is why the 11" 16:9 MBA isn't a machine I would recommend and why I think going over 30" for a desktop display needs to be wider than 16:9. On the one end of the scale there is the content that needs to be considered and the other there how our eyes are places. That said, if Apple does release a 12" iPad I think it's most likely it will be 4:3 to keep it inline with the rest of the platform to accommodate app development.
  • Reply 103 of 105
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

All the "widescreen" tablets seem poor for reading. Check out the Kindle eBooks. How many of them are using a 16:9 aspect ratio? 16:10 is slightly better but not by much. Around 4:3 is more ideal for an all around table that you're doing more than watching TV shows on.

Now does that change with a 12" iPad? Perhaps because at that point, assuming the PPI stays around the same as it is now, you have enough length on the shorted. Aspect ratio needs be analyzed with each diagonal size and usage type. This is why the 11" 16:9 MBA isn't a machine I would recommend and why I think going over 30" for a desktop display needs to be wider than 16:9. On the one end of the scale there is the content that needs to be considered and the other there how our eyes are places. That said, if Apple does release a 12" iPad I think it's most likely it will be 4:3 to keep it inline with the rest of the platform to accommodate app development.

When I go home, I'll check my Nooks and see what aspect ratio they are using.  I certainly don't have a problem with the aspect ratio when  reading from the Nexus 7.  It's the LCD that I have a problem with.  I'll check out the Nook app on the Nexus 10 as well.  I never use it for reading.  It's LCD, too heavy and too big unless you are sitting on the sofa with the tablet in your lap.  I like to read lying down and holding it above your head is not sustainable. 

• Reply 104 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    os2baba wrote: »
    When I go home, I'll check my Nooks and see what aspect ratio they are using.

No need for that.

• Barnes & Noblel Nook (1st Edition) and Nook Simple Touch — 600×800 = 1.33 = 4:3 aspect ratio
    • Nook Color & Nook Tablet — 600×1024 = 1.71 = 128:75 (Between 16:10 and 16:9 aspect ratios)
    • Nook HD — 900×1440 = 1.60 = 16:10 aspect ratio
    • Nook HD + — 1280×1920 = 1.50 = 3:2 (Between 4:3 and 16:10 aspect ratios)
    • Nook Glowlight — 758×1040 = 1.37 (Barely wider than 4:3 which is 1.33)

I think that's all of them.