Keynote sattelite downlinks?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For some big expos and conferences, Apple used to broadcast on sattelite, and would rent theatres in major cities where you could go to see the keynote for free if you knew the right people (or if you were a developer). I think the last time they did this was July 2000 or so.

Does anyone know if they're planning to do this for MWSF 2002? I'd hate to watch it over my 48000bps phone line connection...

-robo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well they did it in July this summer, and you could head over and watch it at an Apple store. I don't know if TechTV will show they keynote again though...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by robo:

<strong>For some big expos and conferences, Apple used to broadcast on sattelite, and would rent theatres in major cities where you could go to see the keynote for free if you knew the right people (or if you were a developer). I think the last time they did this was July 2000 or so.

Does anyone know if they're planning to do this for MWSF 2002? I'd hate to watch it over my 48000bps phone line connection...

-robo</strong><hr></blockquote>

they do it every event. i's not held in rented theaters though. they are held in Apple Market Centers which are scattered across the country and some colleges. Microsoft rents theaters.

they haven't announced it yet but when they do it'll be at <a href="http://seminars.apple.com"; target="_blank">http://seminars.apple.com</a>;

This is how I have watched every keynote since Jan 99 except for the NY ones which I attend in person
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Actually Applenut, Apple has indeed rented theaters to show the keynote addresses in the past. But the last time, to my knowledge, that they did so in the state of Ohio was July 1999 when I attended the MWNY keynote at a high school auditorium in Cincinatti.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Yup.. applenut, i know they rent theatres because i've been to at least four of them!

However, this was in vancouver, were i have friends in the loop. I'm now in Miami, and i don't think there's even an Apple store in this steaming swamp.

-robo
  • Reply 5 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by SSMagicMan13:

<strong>Actually Applenut, Apple has indeed rented theaters to show the keynote addresses in the past. But the last time, to my knowledge, that they did so in the state of Ohio was July 1999 when I attended the MWNY keynote at a high school auditorium in Cincinatti.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't consider that renting a theater. I said they show in some schools too.

[quote]Yup.. applenut, i know they rent theatres because i've been to at least four of them!

However, this was in vancouver, were i have friends in the loop. I'm now in Miami, and i don't think there's even an Apple store in this steaming swamp.<hr></blockquote>

perhaps in canada they do. never seen a theater listed as a place to watch although it would be pretty cool
  • Reply 6 of 13
    In vancouver they usually rented a conference hall in Robson Square, which had a medium sized movie theatre in it. The best one i went to was the WWDC in 1998... they had free Think Different shirts, mountains of food, demos of Rhapsody running on all sorts of machines (PCs too..), and of course the keynote where they demonstrated Carbonized Photoshop.

I didn't mean that they rented major cinemas, but movie theatres. Anyway, Macworld at Muvico Palace 20 wouldn't have any class

-robo
  • Reply 7 of 13
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    I always watch the big keynotes at home on one of my satellite systems, they have released the satellite and transponder numbers before the key note at <a href="http://www.apple.com/pr"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/pr</a> keep an eye on it, they update a few days before the event.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Anybody around Kansas City with a satellite system that would let me come over and watch the keynote with ya'? I'll bring food! Really.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Hey.. i just discovered that there's an Apple store in Miami.

They're closed right now. I'll phone them tomorrow to find out if they'll be having the keynote at the store.

-robo

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: robo ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 13
    If you have any friends who work at Apple, you can watch it in Caffe Macs (you'd better get there early though).

Technically, only badged employees are allowed to go to those things. But security never checks for badges. At least they didn't for the iPod introduction. I've seen parents bring their kids in.

I'll see what Apple's policy is this time. If they allow visitors, I could be persuaded to sign in one or two of my fellow Bay Area AppleInsider readers. But if they explicitly say "Badged personnel only", I'm not risking anything.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    The keynote presentation will be available via satellite:

Telstar 5/Transponder 25 KU Band

Orbital slot: 97 degrees west

Downlink Frequency: 12144 MHz

Polarity: Vertical down

Audio Subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8

Galaxy 3R/Transponder 5 C Band

Orbital slot: 95 degrees west

Downlink Frequency: 3800 MHz

Polarity: Horizontal down

Audio Subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8

• Reply 13 of 13
    tmatma Posts: 76member
    Is it possible to pick up the sattelite links in the UK?

And also do you need special sattelite equipment or will standard Sky Digital set top boxes allow you to 'tune in' ?

Cheers..