China's Xiaomi unveils copycat 'Mi Pad' in bid to take on Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    So ... take the colors from the iPhone 5C, splash them onto a clone of the iPad Mini with a skin that looks like iOS 7 and ... profit?

I wonder if they'll try to sell this outside China.

Did you not read the last paragraph?

Xiaomi's current sales are largely based in China, but the company has signaled it plans to expand into India, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and Malaysia.
  • Reply 22 of 85
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Unbelievable. And shameful.

You'd think that these fools would know better.

• Reply 23 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

MIUI has been around for years as a custom Android ROM, and since it's inception has mimicked the look and feel of iOS. This Mi Pad could very well end up being highly popular in China. It's sad that people don't use their talents to create something original

"Sad"? Really? That's your sentiment?

• Reply 24 of 85
    bpbpbpbpbpbp Posts: 1member
    Why is the founder still keeping his name? He should change his name to MSTEVE JOBS
  • Reply 25 of 85
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    simtub wrote: »
    Damn... Even the commercial reminds me of the coloured iPod days..

Did Apple ever use a soundtrack that ugly and abrasive?

Also, the little girl in the pink princess/ballerina costume is wretched. I fear for China's sanity as it "Westernizes."
  • Reply 26 of 85
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    The mainland Chinese have no shame when it comes to theft of intellectual property. It shows how primitive their culture is. The upper class more educated Chinese however understand this and wouldn't be caught dead with this fake or even a Samsung.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Sad"? Really? That's your sentiment?

Yes that's my sentiment at people not using their talents to create something original. The Chinese copy many more companies than Apple. Go into any toy store and you'll see copies of Nerf, Lego, and countless other manufacturers. All in all it's outrageous, and utterly shameful.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

No surprise there, China has been doing this for long. Lets all remember China does not believe is ownership any any ideas, everything is owned by everyone for the common good. The only thing Apple maybe able to do in this case is reach out to its government friends and limit what this companies does and make sure they do not export it. 

The only thing Apple has going for itself in China is the fact Chinese do like buying US brands, they see more value and quality in non-Chinese brands. Yeah this company will sell some in China but the people who like the status of Apple will buy Apple not a knockoff.

• Reply 29 of 85
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a fifty cent pin-on badge that says "I am a cheap-ass d!ckhead that has no understanding of quality"?
  • Reply 30 of 85
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    The upper class more educated Chinese however understand this and wouldn't be caught dead with this fake or even a Samsung.

Don't fool yourself, my friend.

The 'upper class' are just as bad.

And who do you think OWNS the factories that make this rubbish?
  • Reply 31 of 85
    tonyp385tonyp385 Posts: 6member

Every country and company copies in one for or another from others.  Even in history countries copy from each other.  Its life.  And even great big companies who are famous or top notch these days have copied or broken laws to get ahead until they reach a point in which they have either their own moats or power or some advantage to be able to grow thereafter and not have to copy anymore.  In this case for a Chinese company to imitate by doing this is unfortunate but they are doing what they can to get ahead just like how other companies have done in the past also.  As they say don't hate the player hate the game.  And in this game it is not able to be controlled properly as it should so people and companies who think and can will get away with it.  So in the end you have to just move on move fast and move on to the next thing or quit the game. Good luck to all .

• Reply 32 of 85
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    The mainland Chinese have no shame when it comes to theft of intellectual property. It shows how primitive their culture is. The upper class more educated Chinese however understand this and wouldn't be caught dead with this fake or even a Samsung.
    Chinese culture is primitive? Or are you mixing up attitudes to ip protection to cultural sophistication
  • Reply 33 of 85
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    O Oooh!

Wonder what Android Version "MIUI" is built upon. Or is this "MIUI" a Google creation???
    This didn't clearly come thru. At least not to me....

Doesn't matter. The game is to include it in statistics that Google and IDC get to wave in everyone's face.
  • Reply 34 of 85
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    Stupidly comes in an array of companies with 0% innovation. And some people think that Apple copied design from samsung. Hahaha????
  • Reply 36 of 85
    dv8ordv8or Posts: 26member
    Anyone else having problems viewing the comments in Safari? - Had to open chrome to see the comments...
  • Reply 37 of 85
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I actually like the design/colors. I wish Apple would do something similar, especially with the iPad mini. 

• Reply 38 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes that's my sentiment at people not using their talents to create something original. The Chinese copy many more companies than Apple. Go into any toy store and you'll see copies of Nerf, Lego, and countless other manufacturers. All in all it's outrageous, and utterly shameful.

It's theft, plain and simple, and should be recognized as such.

• Reply 39 of 85
    acatomicacatomic Posts: 60member
    Maybe they found out that Apple is planning to make a plastic iPad mini with retina display? ;)
  • Reply 40 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why is Apple the designer for the world? It's sad that barely anyone else can be original. There should be punishment for thieves.