Adobe ID failure takes Creative Cloud down for nearly 24 hours

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Subscribers have been unable to sign in to any Adobe services, including Creative Cloud -- which allows users to "rent" access to the company's suite of creative applications -- since Wednesday evening, leaving many who depend on the company's offerings in the lurch.

Problems began to pile up for Creative Cloud beginning around 3:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Wednesday, when some users found themselves unable to download applications. That was followed by an issue with modifying team accounts, failures affecting the ability to purchase new Creative Cloud subscriptions or create new Adobe IDs, and finally the sign-in problem.

Adobe has been largely silent on the subject since Wednesday evening, save for a handful of apologetic tweets and a promise to "restore as soon as possible." The root cause appears to be a failure of the Adobe ID system, which is to Adobe's products what the Apple ID is to Apple devices and services.

Because Creative Cloud applications require users to be online to verify their subscription, subscribers who already have the software installed may be able to work around the authentication problems by taking their computer offline before opening the applications.

Adobe stopped offering standalone versions of their popular Creative Suite last year, forcing those who wished to upgrade to the newest edition to purchase it on the Creative Cloud subscription model. Many users criticized that decision, often citing potential scenarios much like this one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52

This is completely unacceptable. Looks like software renting may have some serious drawbacks after all. 

• Reply 2 of 52
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I do not believe in subscription only anything. Especially if it is used to run a business. Too many possible breaking points. Internet failure on location, by the internet service provider, or a issue like this on software provider side. This includes all of your assets being inaccessible. Unacceptable!
  • Reply 3 of 52
    p5cho6p5cho6 Posts: 6member
    I never believed in cloud software subscriptions... I will never "subscribe" to office365 or any other service that directly screws over the consumer and requires a damn internet connection to use the software that I paid money for.

• Reply 4 of 52
    smotyndusmotyndu Posts: 1member
    Weird I've been using Dreamweaver & Photoshop all day with no problem but checking after reading this I'm not signed in
  • Reply 5 of 52
    p5cho6p5cho6 Posts: 6member
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Aside from retraining designers, I wonder how many companies could get by just fine with Pixelmator or Acorn. (I bought a copy of PM but haven't had time to use it much yet.)

Too bad for Adobe. This kind of thing would be tough to live down.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

AND THAT, ladies and gentlemen is why the entire Creative Cloud idea is garbage.

I wonder how long before Adobe reveals all customer data, including credit card info has been compromised? 5...4...3...2...

• Reply 8 of 52
    jpdlvmhjpdlvmh Posts: 72member
    EXACTLY the reason why some of my customers switched over to Quark when Adobe came up with their stupid subscription service.
    Now more people are thinking the same thing and my advice would be to change if it does not cause to much upheaval.
    It is perfectly feasible to hang on to the CS6 bundle for old stuff and use Quark for new designs.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Because Creative Cloud applications require users to be online to verify their subscription, subscribers who already have the software installed may be able to work around the authentication problems by taking their computer offline before opening the applications.

I don't think it phones home all that often. My copy is currently working fine without needing me to go offline.

In theory, this should only affect users who want to install new components.

• Reply 10 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Maybe Apple can finally acquire Adobe at a reasonable price.

• Reply 11 of 52
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't think it phones home all that often. My copy is currently working fine without needing me to go offline.

Plus,  the apps should display a message after a failed call home, and give a grace period.  Never had the problem, so don't know.

But lets all hyperventilate over Adobe anyhow.

• Reply 12 of 52
    a6038599a6038599 Posts: 1member
    Anyone in their right mind should avoid dealing with Adobe. They actually treat their employees worse than their customers if one can imagine that.

To use their subscription approach is absurd as they have a history of creating difficulties for their client base.

Now you would also have to contend with facility failure.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Quote: "Because Creative Cloud applications require users to be online to verify their subscription, subscribers who already have the software installed may be able to work around the authentication problems by taking their computer offline before opening the applications."

What idiot wrote that? You don't need to to take your computer offline. Online or offline, the apps run fine whether or not Adobe CC is there. I'm running InDesign and Photoshop right now. According to Adobe, apps only need to check in every couple of months to stay authenticated. No silly tricks needed.

Someone needs to fix this article.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    tezgnotezgno Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

AND THAT, ladies and gentlemen is why the entire Creative Cloud idea is garbage.

I wonder how long before Adobe reveals all customer data, including credit card info has been compromised? 5...4...3...2...

Um...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/03/adobe-security-breach-compromised-29m-customer-accounts-encrypted-credit-card-data-stolen

• Reply 15 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I do not believe in subscription only anything. Especially if it is used to run a business. Too many possible breaking points. Internet failure on location, by the internet service provider, or a issue like this on software provider side. This includes all of your assets being inaccessible. Unacceptable!

I believe in subscriptions.

I believe in requiring internet for internet based products.

I DO NOT believe in requiring internet for account validation to use an offline software product. With or without glitches, I believe that requirement is UNACCEPTABLE.

• Reply 16 of 52
    Adobe is only good at making bloatware. They are so behind the curve its not even funny. What really needs to happen is Apple should buy it and trim off the fat. Creative cloud is just a Cash Grab for them. Its to expensive for freelancers. Pixelmator is amazing and so simple to use. Adobe makes things too complicated.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Or those who use Adobe's cloud storage. I don't use that. I've been working everyday in CC and wasn't even aware of the issue until reading it here.

I like the subscription model for a few reasons.

1) It is easy to keep everything up to date.  

2) It is cheaper for those of us who use it professionally and always need the latest version for compatibility and

3) Because it makes it more difficult for people to pirate the software thus reducing unfair competition from cheaters.

Adobe has been making a huge effort lately to provide more services and lots extra tutorials, events, case studies and stuff to make sure that their customers are getting their money's worth.

• Reply 18 of 52
    emoeric87emoeric87 Posts: 72member
    My dumb ass is using Adobe Fonts, so it doesn't matter that InDesign works--everything inside is practically worthless. Fonts must need to phone home more often or something.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    waveghelwaveghel Posts: 6member
    If you already installed and used a CC app, yes no oroblem: you will go into demo-mode and have days left untill the hext check.
    However:
    You can now not download nor install any new CC app;
    Every FIRST run of a CC app needs an internet connection: it will not go to demo-mode even at first run, it will not even start;
    TypeKit fonts can NOT be synced now;
    The complete DPS system is also diwn which means many, many missed deadlines!

The mess is far far bigger than most small users here seem to realize...
  • Reply 20 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

My dumb ass is using Adobe Fonts, so it doesn't matter that InDesign works--everything inside is practically worthless. Fonts must need to phone home more often or something.

Does it give you a message? I've never used Typekit. I have the entire Adobe OT font folio.