China's Xiaomi unveils copycat 'Mi Pad' in bid to take on Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    Quote:

It also runs a heavily version of Google's Android operating system

I'm not sure what was meant by that. "Heavenly" perhaps?

I think Xiaomi wasn't very creative in the name. Seems to me that "Qi Pad" would have been much nicer.

• Reply 42 of 85
    adhiradhir Posts: 50member
    Pathetic.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    p5cho6p5cho6 Posts: 6member

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what or who copies Apple... if Apple was smart, they would concentrate on creating the absolute best products they can muster, instead of spending energy and time worrying about others and fighting off the generics in courts round the world. With touchID, Sapphire screens and whatever they have going on, if they just innovate, they will stay ahead... instead, they choose to fight off copycats for old and tired technologies that are now common. 

Besides, the copycats are worried about profit margins more than Apple and "can't afford" to include sapphire screens and other "luxury" materials within their products. The MiPad is a plastic fantastic. 

• Reply 44 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Lets all remember China does not believe is ownership any any ideas, everything is owned by everyone for the common good. 

I don't think it has anything to do with common good. They don't put bars on the windows for the common good.

• Reply 45 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It's a modified android variant with all the Google play parts taken out. It is upto v5 which is based upon android 4.3.x. thus it's not a Google creation

It may be a f****d variant of Android, but had Google never created Android, a rip-off of iOS in the first place, would it exist? ..... I think that's the sentiment that many here feel. Google are the real evil doers, 'the enablers', in all these Apple IP rip-offs at the end of the day.
  • Reply 46 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It may be a f****d variant of Android, but had Google never created Android, a rip-off of iOS in the first place, would it exist? ..... I think that's the sentiment that many here feel. Google are the real evil doers, 'the enablers', in all these Apple IP rip-offs at the end of the day.

It is inevitable that the design of all computers, tablets, phones, TVs, cars, airplanes, buses converge towards the most appropriate designs. If Google hadn't written Android, someone else would have.

I took my Tahoe into the dealership yesterday for an oil change. They apparently got rid of their loaner car program and now used Enterprise Rental cars. This time my loaner was a Hyundai. Unsurprisingly, it was very much like my BMW. All the controls were exactly the same. Sure it is a copy of a BMW but it was easy to drive because it was exactly the same. If it had a set of levers instead of a steering wheel, I would have been in trouble.

• Reply 47 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

The mainland Chinese have no shame when it comes to theft of intellectual property. It shows how primitive their culture is. The upper class more educated Chinese however understand this and wouldn't be caught dead with this fake or even a Samsung.

Have you seen the latest laptop design from HP and Dell? You might notice how close they resemble a MacBook Pro. What kind of culture do you suppose exist here in the land of IP protection?

• Reply 48 of 85
    Wow!
    My Chinese gf actually was laughing when she saw the ad, said that I feel ashamed by my country and the government that it actually allow suck a thing, wait... What if her laugh was actually fake ????
  • Reply 49 of 85
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Poor choice in music, but nicely done ad. Disgusting to say the least, but they are achieving the goal that they publicly stated.
  • Reply 50 of 85
    haar wrote: »
    wait, Samsung "copied" the iPad, now the chinese copy Samsung's "copy" of the iPad...

I'd say this clone is even more blatant about its imitation of the iPad. Apple needs to go all Proview on their asses.
  • Reply 51 of 85
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Thanks to Xiaomi, I now have a real-world, taken-to-its-logical-conclusion example of what would happen if patents were abolished.  I'll be making a local copy of this to have for future reference if/when they are put out of business.

• Reply 52 of 85
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    acatomic wrote: »
    Maybe they found out that Apple is planning to make a plastic iPad mini with retina display? ;)

I thought this too. I wonder how the MiPad will handle its heat dissipation. I also look forward to knowing the battery life, color gamut, screen technology, that sort of thing.
  • Reply 53 of 85
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    This product will never see the light of day, at least not outside of China. Lawsuit in 3, 2, 1...
  • Reply 54 of 85

I think someone would imitate iOS, even if Android never existed. It may be a UI sitting atop some other OS like Windows CE, or Linux (webOS or even QNX), but it would exist, down to the delicate fonts and rounded cornered icons. Here's why:

Ever seen the Goophone? It's physically identical copy to the iPhone 5/5s design (iPhone 5 cases will fit the thing), down to a knock off UI sitting atop Android, but otherewise, there's nothing visibly Androidy about it except the choppy UI animations.

• Reply 55 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I'm not sure what was meant by that. "Heavenly" perhaps?

I think there's a word missing.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    The slipped up naming the iOS, it should have been MiOS! The company should be Mapple. Next they will have laptops running MOSX.

don't give them any ideas...,
  • Reply 57 of 85
    mstone wrote: »
    It is inevitable that the design of all computers, tablets, phones, TVs, cars, airplanes, buses converge towards the most appropriate designs. If Google hadn't written Android, someone else would have.

I took my Tahoe into the dealership yesterday for an oil change. They apparently got rid of their loaner car program and now used Enterprise Rental cars. This time my loaner was a Hyundai. Unsurprisingly, it was very much like my BMW. All the controls were exactly the same. Sure it is a copy of a BMW but it was easy to drive because it was exactly the same. If it had a set of levers instead of a steering wheel, I would have been in trouble.

Did it also have a round steering wheel, a up and down rectangular gas pedal on the right, and a sideways rectangular brake pedal on the left? ;)
  • Reply 58 of 85
    The slipped up naming the iOS, it should have been MiOS! The company should be Mapple. Next they will have laptops running MOSX.

Lol, the MIUI name actually existed before iOS was changed from iPhone OS.
  • Reply 59 of 85
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member

Dictionary definition of scum:

a worthless or contemptible person or group of people: you drug dealers are the scum of the earth. Examples-Samsung, Google, Xiaomi.

• Reply 60 of 85
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member
    Oh my gosh how funny. Even apple style commercial. Must have advertising agency that's copying Apple's advertising agency. Whole lot of copying going on here. lol