Apple releases OS X 10.9.3 with improved support for high-res 4K displays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not listed on the release notes. What problem are you talking about anyway? Just counting comments on the Apple discussion forums doesn’t mean there’s a real problem.

I'm referring to this problem:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/27/mac-owners-report-os-x-1092-update-breaks-airplay-functionality

Update: looking at the Apple discussion forum thread on the topic linked from the article above, it appears that the vast majority (if not all) of the people experiencing a mirroring problem with 10.9.2 had some kind of 3rd party mirroring application also installed (ex: AirDisplay).

• Reply 22 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Audio doesn't work with Apple TV. Was it really necessary to be a smart @ss?

It always has for me, but I just realized I've been running 10.9.3 bets for a long time ...
  • Reply 23 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    With Macs that are capable In HW of pushing a 4K UHD @60Hz are coming up to a year and 10.9.3 now having official support for all these machines I hope we see an Apple-branded update to their ATD.

jpellino wrote: »
    It mentions Safari 7.0.3 - any indication that it includes the Javascript JIT upgrade that's in the WebKit nightly builds as of this week?

I think that is too new. I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't arrive immediately with whatever version of Safari is in the next major update to Mac OS X.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Is this Build 13D61?

That;s the one I am on now, I'm about to run update.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    gtr wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the Android version of Safari.
    Let me guess, it will be called 'Safary'....
  • Reply 26 of 47
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Obligatory snappier comment.
    You forgot the ™ symbol after the word Snappier™.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Yes it does. I tend to confront people who make blanket statements as if ‘their’ issue is pandemic and Apple’s fault. Like your blanket statement that “audio doesn’t work with Apple TV.” Not true at all, except for you maybe. Why not just say, “It doesn’t work for me, I have no idea what’s going on and I can’t fix it myself so I’m going to blame Apple.”

• Reply 28 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

I'm referring to this problem:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/27/mac-owners-report-os-x-1092-update-breaks-airplay-functionality

Update: looking at the Apple discussion forum thread on the topic linked from the article above, it appears that the vast majority (if not all) of the people experiencing a mirroring problem with 10.9.2 had some kind of 3rd party mirroring application also installed (ex: AirDisplay).

So does that still mean it’s Apple fault? How many times over the decades have issues like this been traced to third party hacks? Third party hacks that purport to ‘fix’ or ‘enhance’ the way Apple features work are almost always at the bottom of this stuff. But the knee jerk reaction is to blame Apple. Steve is dead, Apple’s QA has gone to the dogs, don’t they test this stuff, etc. And of course the wacky presumption that Apple MUST ensure that its software works with every single piece of third party crap out there, no matter how old it is, no matter if  it hasn’t been updated in years, it’s supposed to just work with every new OS X release. 

Sorry, this is a big soap box issue with me.

• Reply 29 of 47
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Have you tried sudo killall coreaudiod?

• Reply 30 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't arrive immediately with whatever version of Safari is in the next major update to Mac OS X.

Then it would be just in time. (sorry, even though I'm very tired I'm in for a laugh right now)
  • Reply 31 of 47
    freddofreddo Posts: 13member
    Be warned: It breaks support for using three 30" monitors on Mac Pro. Only two work. Unplugging and plugging them back in again, still only the first two plugged in work. Restart doesn't help. I have already found one other person who encountered the same problem.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    hillstones wrote: »
    iTunes 11.2 also got released today, mostly with Podcast feature updates.

No problems with AirPlay Mirroring…love how people claim there is a problem, yet they cannot describe any problem.  Of course Mountain Lion is far more stable than Mavericks.
    Mavericks is pretty stable. I'm sure you said the same of lion when mountain lion came out. It's stable. If it's not for you, restore
  • Reply 33 of 47

for those who didn't update it yet....DON"T DO IT!!!! Your USER'S FILE will hide after restarting computer.

• Reply 34 of 47
    koban4max wrote: »
    for those who didn't update it yet....DON"T DO IT!!!! Your USER'S FILE will hide after restarting computer.

1) Nice find.

2) Slow your roll. In Terminal:
    sudo chflags nohidden /Users

3) I'm not sure why this is cause for keeping everyone from updating. It's not removing any access to your ~/ folder, just hiding the /Users folder in Finder but all your Sidebar links work fine.

PS: This can also be used for unhiding your /Library folder
    chflags nohidden ~/Library

• Reply 35 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    koban4max wrote: »

What do you mean?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    What do you mean?

• Reply 37 of 47

Has anybody tried connecting a 4K display to a late 2012 Retina MBP with 10.9.3?  some 4k displays work when connected to it, but do any scaling options appear with 10.9.3?

• Reply 38 of 47
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    HOOORAY!!!! Everything works for you! That's awesome. What a magical day. Congratulations!

Wow, you have no sense of humor! Congratulations.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Latest reports confirm the User folder on the root level disappears for many users after installing 10.9.3. Read about it on Macworld. Not to be confused with Apple's dumb idea to hide the user's Library folder since Lion, now the entire User folder goes missing.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    1) Nice find.

2) Slow your roll. In Terminal:
    sudo chflags nohidden /Users

3) I'm not sure why this is cause for keeping everyone from updating. It's not removing any access to your ~/ folder, just hiding the /Users folder in Finder but all your Sidebar links work fine.

PS: This can also be used for unhiding your /Library folder
    chflags nohidden ~/Library

That terminal hack doesn't work. Restart your Mac and the User folder will disappear once again. Chris Breen at Macworld confirmed it.