Apple's iPhone beats all Android smartphone web use in North America by wide margin

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Chitika Insights web traffic report for April assigned Apple's iPhone a 53.1 percent majority of all smartphone web traffic, while all Android devices combined amounted to just 44.5 percent.

The company delivered its report in a press release that focused exclusively on the tiny usage share occupied by Microsoft's Windows Phone and BlackBerry, which together amounted to less than two percentage points of all mobile web traffic.

In passing, Chitika noted that "iOS and Android smartphones continue to generate the two largest aggregate usage totals by a considerable margin."

Apple's iOS is actually ahead of all Android vendors combined by 8.6 percentage points, a lead that is more than 4.7 times the total representation of Windows Mobile and BlackBerry combined.

Apple's lead over Android is also 43 times larger than the slight edge Windows Mobile now has over Blackberry, which Chitika made the centerpiece of its story while equating iOS and Android as "the clear leaders."

The firm then concluded, "while Microsoft has worked hard to make Windows Phone a competitive third mobile OS from a functionality standpoint, the operating system's flat rate of growth over the past several months makes it likely that Apple and Google's offerings will remain the frontrunners stateside for the foreseeable future."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

You just had to post one more headline with the word "beats" in it, didn't you?

• Reply 2 of 95
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I use the web less and less on my phone. I have an app for pretty much everything. For news, plenty of news apps, for movies-IMDB, restaurants-several apps. I use music apps, check in on games to do various tasks, and use a wide variety of apps but really not the web itself through safari very much at all. I doubt I am alone. I have an iPhone 5s by the way. Is surfing the web really a good indicator of smartphone usage now with so many dedicated apps that might not get measured? The web might provide the backbone for all these apps but I just don't see the need to use a browser since it is clunkier and takes more steps to get the info I want.
  • Reply 3 of 95
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Android's 44.5 is not less!  Seriously!  

• Reply 4 of 95
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I use the web less and less on my phone. I have an app for pretty much everything. For news, plenty of news apps, for movies-IMDB, restaurants-several apps. I use music apps, check in on games to do various tasks, and use a wide variety of apps but really not the web itself through safari very much at all. I doubt I am alone. I have an iPhone 5s by the way. Is surfing the web really a good indicator of smartphone usage now with so many dedicated apps that might not get measured? The web might provide the backbone for all these apps but I just don't see the need to use a browser since it is clunkier and takes more steps to get the info I want.

If Apple is to be 'winning', then yes, Daniel will focus on it.  In the event that Android were to overtake iOS in Chitika Insights web traffic reports, then Chitika will become the target of a heated article which will demonize them and attack their credibility as a trustworthy source.

• Reply 5 of 95
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Android users are obviously less productive than Apple users. 

They're also less likely to spend any money on apps or web services, such as paying to use WIFI on flights. Many of them probably don't even own any passports.

The worst thing that could happen to Android is if the world wide economy improves. Poor people are Android's greatest asset.

• Reply 6 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They're also less likely to spend any money on apps or web services, such as paying to use WIFI on flights. Many of them probably don't even own any passports.

The worst thing that could happen to Android is if the world wide economy improves. Poor people are Android's greatest asset.

How exactly is surfing the web on your phone being more productive? Don't get me wrong I think Apple hardware and iOS are superior to to Android choices with the exception of the display size which will be rectified in a  few months, but I think it is silly to assign any sort of superiority over mostly time wasting web browsing on your phone. My doctor uses an Android phone and mostly uses medical apps not web surfing and I think that is a far more productive use of his phone and time. And your points about poor people is also silly since the flagship type Android phones that compete with the iPhone cost the same or more than an iPhone so why do people keep using that? They didn't choose an Android because of price, in most cases they chose it because they wanted it due to a larger display size, or they like the flexibility to customize it the way they like. 

• Reply 7 of 95
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Chitika Insights web traffic report for April assigned Apple's iPhone a 53.1 percent majority of all smartphone web traffic, while all Android devices combined amounted to just 44.5 percent.

so if you account for all those devices that don't have any web traffic, and the devicebots that just pump stuff out but don't read anything then web traffic for iphone and all android devices combined must actually be, like, 118%, riiiight? (hey, if it's good enough for profit calculation then it's good enough for web traffic.)
  • Reply 8 of 95
    Quote:

My doctor uses an Android phone and mostly uses medical apps not web surfing and I think that is a far more productive use of his phone and time. 

I would switch doctors immediately, because iOS is far ahead of Android when it comes to the medical field and medical apps, and I happen to value my life and my health. And I certainly wouldn't want any medical or personal info of mine stored on any OS that is not secure. What's the doctor's excuse for using Android? Any doctor who is informed would choose iOS.

• Reply 9 of 95
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

That's because Android users don't have brains, just an empty void. They can't read, or view pictures so the web is entirely useless.

• Reply 10 of 95
    Quote:

I would switch doctors immediately, because iOS is far ahead of Android when it comes to the medical field and medical apps, and I happen to value my life and my health. And I certainly wouldn't want any medical or personal info of mine stored on any OS that is not secure. What's the doctor's excuse for using Android? Any doctor who is informed would choose iOS.

Give me a break. I don't choose my doctor over the phone he uses. And who said anything about storing any personal info on his phone? It is a handy reference for checking meds and other things. Medscape, Epocrates, Medline, iPharmcy, etc..are all available on Android and are reference tools for him. In addition to being my doctor he is also a friend and I have discussed this with him. He said he chose Android because it gets the job done and he can't stand using am iPhone because the display is too small. An iPad is too big to carry around all day. He has a Galaxy Note 3 which has knox and is a good size for him to carry in his lab coat pocket and also easy on his eyes. If your doctor is storing your records on an iPhone maybe you are the one who needs a new doctor. He said if Apple releases a 5.5" iPhone he will likely switch. He probably makes well more than 300K a year easily so I don't think he is poor nor uninformed. He bought a new mac Pro as well so he is not anti-Apple just anti 4" display. 

• Reply 11 of 95
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure that most Android users found their phones while lying in the ditch that they woke up in...phones discarded by slightly wealthier people who went on to purchase an iPhone.

Most Android phones are actually empty cases that don't really turn on....Android users are just hitting the cellophane image of icons that sticks on the front of the screen thinking that they are doing something.

The most common use of Android phones? Texting gub'mint agencies looking for benefits, and using them as hand warmers on those cold winter nights huddled under the bridges they call "a home".

Am I right, or what?

• Reply 12 of 95
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

If Apple is to be 'winning', then yes, Daniel will focus on it.  In the event that Android were to overtake iOS in Chitika Insights web traffic reports, then Chitika will become the target of a heated article which will demonize them and attack their credibility as a trustworthy source.

Please, please, tell us you are paid by Samsung or Google to post here. It might improve our opinion of you.

Getting paid to post, despicable though it might be, is infinitely better than a person willingly posting nearly 700 times, in less than a year, on a forum dedicated to a company he despises. Now, that would be really pathetic.

• Reply 13 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

I'm pretty sure that most Android users found their phones while lying in the ditch that they woke up in...phones discarded by slightly wealthier people who went on to purchase an iPhone.

That might be the case for some of them, but many probably just got their phone in some BOGOF deal, as they were upgrading from a dumb phone to an Android phone that is slightly less dumb.

Most Android phones are actually empty cases that don't really turn on....Android users are just hitting the cellophane image of icons that sticks on the front of the screen thinking that they are doing something.

Whatever they are doing with their phones, they are doing it less than Apple users. With more than a billion alleged activations, you'd think that they would be better represented, yet on all stats that get released, their numbers continue to be pathetic.

The most common use of Android phones? Texting gub'mint agencies looking for benefits, and using them as hand warmers on those cold winter nights huddled under the bridges they call "a home".

To be honest, I think that's exactly what many of them are probably doing with their Android phones. The number of Americans on welfare is through the roof currently. I see what Android users look like whenever I take public transportation, and there is a lot to be learned just by observing how people look and act, how they dress, and what tech they use.

• Reply 14 of 95
    A doctor with an Android device proves how careless they can be. Apparently this doctor doesn't care about malware/viruses. Are you sure they clean and sanitize their medical instruments?
  • Reply 15 of 95
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 160member

I think we should have a voluntary moratorium on marketshare discussions until Android phone manufacturers release real sales numbers. 

If Samsumg was really selling as many phones as they imply, they would be shouting it from the rooftops. It makes no sense for them to refuse to release sales numbers - unless they are selling far fewer phones (to consumers) than they imply in their press releases.

Google has a tremendous ability of collect information about very web user on the planet. If Android phones were actually outselling iPhones, could Google not publish data to prove that? Can't be too hard to do, especially for the 'smartest guys' in tech.

This 'Android is winning' argument is like the argument made by proponents of Intelligent Design - we will make absurd claims that are contrary to all available evidence and ask you to do the work of proving us wrong. If you cannot show rock-solid, incontrovertible evidence that we are wrong, we win. 

Brings to mind the old saying - Never get into an argument with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

• Reply 16 of 95
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    But but but bigger screens for more web browsing!
  • Reply 17 of 95
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Quote:

How exactly is surfing the web on your phone being more productive? Don't get me wrong I think Apple hardware and iOS are superior to to Android choices with the exception of the display size which will be rectified in a  few months, but I think it is silly to assign any sort of superiority over mostly time wasting web browsing on your phone. My doctor uses an Android phone and mostly uses medical apps not web surfing and I think that is a far more productive use of his phone and time. And your points about poor people is also silly since the flagship type Android phones that compete with the iPhone cost the same or more than an iPhone so why do people keep using that? They didn't choose an Android because of price, in most cases they chose it because they wanted it due to a larger display size, or they like the flexibility to customize it the way they like. 

I would imagine that if it were possible to produce stats for the amount of time spent in apps, Apple would beat Android by the same margin or more that it does with web surfing.

• Reply 18 of 95
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

It depends on what Chitika actually monitors? Web traffic is not the same thing as web browser usage. If Chitika is monitoring http requests, those can also come from apps, not just browsers.

• Reply 19 of 95
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    You just had to post one more headline with the word "[SIZE=12px]beats[/SIZE]" in it, didn't you?

Beats by Dr. iOS.
  • Reply 20 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

It depends on what Chitika actually monitors? Web traffic is not the same thing as web browser usage. If Chitika is monitoring http requests, those can also come from apps, not just browsers.

http://chitika.com/insights/methodology

I don't see how Chitka could register a hit from an app with that methodology. They seem to function a lot like Google analytics with some code on the website.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I would imagine that if it were possible to produce stats for the amount of time spent in apps, Apple would beat Android by the same margin or more that it does with web surfing.

Maybe it would and maybe it wouldn't. That is purely a wild guess. But I am pretty confident that people regardless of platform are using their smart phone apps a lot more than to surf the web now with a browser. With millions of apps for both platforms why wouldn't they. teenagers and college students for example might spend 90% of their time on Yik Yak, guilt, snapchat, and instagram and never open a web browser at all.