Bentley's 'short documentary' shot on iPhone 5s, edited on iPad Air

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
In what amounts to a lengthy ad, luxury motoring brand Bentley on Wednesday posted to the Web a "short documentary" covering the design theory and history of its cars, with the video shot and cut entirely on Apple iOS devices.

Screenshot from Bentley's "Intelligent Details" documentary. | Source: Bentley via YouTube

Titled "Intelligent Details," the four-and-a-half minute clip highlights Bentley's Director of Design Luc Donckerwolke and Head of Exterior Design SangYup Lee waxing philosophical on the marque's latest model year Mulsanne. The YouTube video was first spotted by The Loop.

According to a short making-of section at the trailing end of the video, the commissioned mini documentary was "shot on iPhone 5s," "assembled on iPad Air" and "edited in the Bentley Mulsanne." A clever scene shows the film's editors using Apple's devices in bespoke rear seat tables integrated with the starting-at-$300,000 automobile's seats.

Like Apple's own Mac 30 video, which was also shot using iPhone 5s devices, production equipment played an important role in the film's quality. Everything from automated gimbals to specialized iPhone frames, mounts and steady-cam adapters were used to capture footage. The video is actually a testament to the capabilities of the iPhone 5s' imager.

Bentley didn't choose to create the video on Apple's products just for kicks, but instead to show off the Mulsanne's impressive on-board entertainment and connectivity suite. For example, the car comes with twin electrically-deployed tables that boast a hidden iPad holder and dedicated space for Apple's wireless keyboard.

Available as an option, the package includes other niceties like Naim audio coponents, rear seat entertainment and a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Apple's iPhone 5s was first used as a production-grade camera by Burberry, which won exclusive access to early examples of the handset to shoot its Prorsum Womenswear Spring/Summer 2014 fashion show. The resulting footage was subsequently pared down and used by Apple in the company's own ad spot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wonder if Apple is paying them for this sort of publicity which puts an easily obtained, mass produced "luxury device" on the same plane as a not-so-easily obtained luxury device? If this was all Bentley's decision to do all this on an iPhone and iPad than Apple's mindshare is much higher than I ever expected.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I've been hunting for some of those stabilizers and gimbals. Wide/normal lens on the iPhone is amazingly flexible.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    Yeah, right... maybe they cut together a couple of shots so they could legally say it was edited in a Bentley. Listen to the sound quality... it was not recorded on iPhone. Shot dual system with a pro audio recorder and mics. This would then need to be imported and synced... not possible on iPad Air. I guess they can fool the man on the street though...
  • Reply 4 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Good thing there wasn't any white Bentleys. Some of you would've mistaken it for a rap video. :lol:
  • Reply 5 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I wonder if Apple is paying them for this sort of publicity which puts an easily obtained, mass produced "luxury device" on the same plane as a not-so-easily obtained luxury device? If this was all Bentley's decision to do all this on an iPhone and iPad than Apple's mindshare is much higher than I ever expected.
    well Jony Ive drives a Bentley so who knows...

• Reply 6 of 74
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Yeah, right... maybe they cut together a couple of shots so they could legally say it was edited in a Bentley. Listen to the sound quality... it was not recorded on iPhone. Shot dual system with a pro audio recorder and mics. This would then need to be imported and synced... not possible on iPad Air. I guess they can fool the man on the street though...

It's important to keep the myth of iPad = toys alive. For the forums.
  • Reply 7 of 74

Obviously the world class corporation Bentley also believes iOS devices are simply consumption devices only and can't get any real work done on them.

</s> didn't think it was needed but ok here you go

• Reply 8 of 74
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Man, the troll is strong with you. Don't say BS, makes you look like a fool.

How many mics and editing apps on the market that CAN do what you claim is not possible? GTFO you Apple hater!
  • Reply 9 of 74
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

But... but... but EVERYONE says you can't create content on an iPad.  It can only be used for content consumption.  Could Bentley be lying about how this ad was created?  Something doesn't add up.

/s

• Reply 10 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

All professional shoots like this record video and audio separately. Syncing them is all in a day's work for these guys.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Great 'n all, but why is Volkswagen not using CarPlay?
  • Reply 12 of 74
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

I can't wait to see Samsung's Daewoo Lacetti ad.

• Reply 13 of 74
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

You need to take that hate and go shove it somewhere else.   Preferably behind a closed door, down in your momma's basement.

Anyone has a semi-clue knows that POST-editing is done on higher-end, specialized equipment.  The point of the article is that iOS devices on their own are handling more and more production-work, which is true.

Damn... I really wish these trolls' mommies would check the lock on the basement door more often. 

• Reply 14 of 74
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

I don't think RR, Mercedes, BMW, Audi or any European car will use Samsung integrated device like Bentley does with Apple's

• Reply 15 of 74

I am a video producer. There are a multitude of accessories for the iPhone, including high quality field mics, so your comment is somewhat ignorant about technical matters. An about editing on iPad, of course is possible to do with the video we saw here.

• Reply 16 of 74
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

You need to take that hate and go shove it somewhere else.   Preferably behind a closed door, down in your momma's basement.

Anyone has a semi-clue knows that POST-editing is done on higher-end, specialized equipment.  The point of the article is that iOS devices on their own are handling more and more production-work, which is true.

Damn... I really wish these trolls' mommies would check the lock on the basement door more often. 

You can troll all day long if you want to, but I edited entire wedding video and pictures on iPad with keyboard. From my experience, I absolutely believe this was done on iPad Air by these professionals. If you haven't done any high profile video/picture editing, STFU and just watch.

• Reply 17 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

This would then need to be imported and synced... not possible on iPad Air. 

What exactly are you trying to claim here? That multiple tracks of audio can not be synced to video on an iPad Air?

Video is not my forte, but I do know audio, and you could use an app like Auria to handle massive amounts of audio tracks and sync them to video, if needed.

Don't get all mad and upset just because Android absolutely sucks for anything video or audio related.

• Reply 18 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Man, the troll is strong with you. Don't say BS, makes you look like a fool.

How many mics and editing apps on the market that CAN do what you claim is not possible? GTFO you Apple hater!

Ha!  Funny - I'm hardly a troll.  My edit studio is full of macs and I've worked in advertising/filmmaking for 20 years.  I just know how the game works.  The picture was shot on an iPhone, but the post (including the VO and mix) was done off site in a studio.

• Reply 19 of 74

You don't have any idea what your talking about, so why yell your opinion from the rooftops? I have a friend who is in the video industry like me, and recommended a condenser mic that records to the iPhone. Wasn't hard to debunk that comment.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

You don't have any idea what your talking about, so why yell your opinion from the rooftops? I have a friend who is in the video industry like me, and recommended a condenser mic that records to the iPhone. Wasn't hard to debunk that comment.

I'll let Banksy speak for me.. it's pointless to argue on these boards.