iTunes 11.2 released for Mac, Windows with improved podcast browsing [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2014
Apple's iTunes media suite was updated on Thursday with improvements for browsing the Podcasts section of the software, allowing users to more quickly find episodes they haven't listened to [update: a corresponding update for the iOS Podcasts app is also available].

iTunes

With iTunes 11.2, the application gains a new "Unplayed" tab in the Podcast section, listing content that a user has not listened to yet. The update also includes the ability to browse episodes that are available to download or stream in the "Feed" tab.

Further improvements for podcast listeners include the ability to automatically delete episodes once they have been listened to. Users an also save their favorite episodes so they can ensure they are saved on their computer.

Update: Apple on Thursday also updated Podcasts for iOS to version 2.1. The update adds improved browsing, Siri support, CarPlay compatibility, and the ability to share links with AirDrop.

The iTunes update also addresses an issue where iTunes might become unresponsive when updating recommended songs through Genius. It also is said to improve overall performance and stability, while Apple recommends that users have Podcasts for iOS 2.1 or later for syncing podcast episodes.

iTunes 11.2 is a free update available for both Mac and Windows PCs. It can be updated on OS X through the Mac App Store, while direct downloads are available from Apple's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

I love podcasts so this is a welcome improvement for me. I still carry around my iPod Nano in part because Apple hasn't done enough with the podcast app on iOS and to cover those few small features that I am hoping Apple will add in a future iPhone.

I wish someone could get Apple to enable FM radio on the iPhone. Us gym rats don't always go to gyms where the television feeds are piped to the individual treadmill/cycles/etc. My Nano is basically used for podcasts, pedometer and FM radio. I know two out of these three could be fixed with an improved app and a phone upgrade (I'm on the 5.) However I still have the need for FM radio occasionally. It might even help in those other countries that Apple is trying to get more marketshare in like India.

• Reply 2 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Wish they'd improve the streaming radio interface. Might be nice to have a radio-like scrubbing feature.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Anyone else long for the old days of using iTunes where you knew where every function was and it was fast and easy to navigate? It is becoming far too big and bloated now and I think Apple could do a far better job with the GUI navigation for all the functions. I understand the need for all the new stuff since in addition to music it now has to also manage videos as well as serve as a sync/backup app for your iOS devices. I just wonder if there isn't a better way to do this even it meant breaking it up into two separate applications. 

• Reply 4 of 28
    davdav Posts: 115member

Still waiting for larger cover art view, the mini player is much too small.  I don't understand why they took that away.  (yes, I periodically request that feature in the appropriate form)

• Reply 5 of 28
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    But is it Snappier™?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Hopefully, this addressed some of the issues it has with AirPlay. Also, I would love to be able to stream iTunes Radio through a web browser. I can't have iTunes on my work computer and therefore can't use it at work.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    I gave up on the Apple Podcast App and started using Downcast. It's a whole lot better and it syncs in the cloud between devices as well. I doubt I'd go back to Apple's app.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    dav wrote: »
    Still waiting for larger cover art view, the mini player is much too small.  I don't understand why they took that away.  (yes, I periodically request that feature in the appropriate form)
    Command click the artwork in the LCD window at top.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I hope iTunes doesn't freeze on videos when using Home Sharing. This popped up with 11.1.

2) I hope we will get an iTunes portal on iCloud.com soon. Besides iTunes Match and of course all purchases it would be nice id iTunes on my Mac isn't the only place to alter and clean up my music. I'd like this feature to come to iOS but that shouldn't be the only other option. I think Tunes in iCloud along with using Apple's iCloud document saving/syncing for saving your iTunes DB — I think that was [@]PhilBoogie[/@] idea — would be very helpful in getting rid of the Mac as the media hub.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think that wasPhilBoogie idea

I did mention that here:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/179528/apple-remains-mum-as-complaints-mount-over-2011-macbook-pro-gpu-failures/40#post_2533539

(OT) I also want a new version of Aperture to have this ability as well: edit on the go: use an iOS device to make changes to photos and have those reflect on your Masters after synching. See my sig.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiotube View Post

I gave up on the Apple Podcast App and started using Downcast. It's a whole lot better and it syncs in the cloud between devices as well. I doubt I'd go back to Apple's app.

Don't bother. Their app is complete shit, always has been, always will be. Nothing beats Downcast, Apple will never make an app that's decent much less better.

• Reply 12 of 28
    davdav Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Command click the artwork in the LCD window at top.

Thank you!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I love podcasts so this is a welcome improvement for me. I still carry around my iPod Nano in part because Apple hasn't done enough with the podcast app on iOS and to cover those few small features that I am hoping Apple will add in a future iPhone.

I wish someone could get Apple to enable FM radio on the iPhone. Us gym rats don't always go to gyms where the television feeds are piped to the individual treadmill/cycles/etc. My Nano is basically used for podcasts, pedometer and FM radio. I know two out of these three could be fixed with an improved app and a phone upgrade (I'm on the 5.) However I still have the need for FM radio occasionally. It might even help in those other countries that Apple is trying to get more marketshare in like India.

Right, because nothing spells lost advertising revenue for a streaming service like a public FM Radio broadcast.

• Reply 14 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Don't bother. Their app is complete shit, always has been, always will be. Nothing beats Downcast, Apple will never make an app that's decent much less better.

Do folks like you not have a fucking clue that Apple provides the heavy lifting frameworks, so that a 3rd party ecosystem can flourish? If Apple produced best-of-breed for all your whining who needs a 3rd party ecosystem?

Downcast doesn't do shit for the backend that Apple doesn't provide APIs to leverage. How else do you think a guy working for the NC General State Assembly the past 18+ years develops this product?

Write your own goddamn app and tailor it to your fantastical desires. The guy who wrote Downcast did.

• Reply 15 of 28
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Right, because nothing spells lost advertising revenue for a streaming service like a public FM Radio broadcast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Do folks like you not have a fucking clue that Apple provides the heavy lifting frameworks, so that a 3rd party ecosystem can flourish? If Apple produced best-of-breed for all your whining who needs a 3rd party ecosystem?

Downcast doesn't do shit for the backend that Apple doesn't provide APIs to leverage. How else do you think a guy working for the NC General State Assembly the past 18+ years develops this product?

Write your own goddamn app and tailor it to your fantastical desires. The guy who wrote Downcast did.

You literally are talking out both sides of your mouth with these two posts. In one Apple must persue revenue even at the cost of something as basic as losing a small bit of streaming revenue for gaining a good feature. In the other Apple has to let third parties flourish or else they won't sell iPhones due to lack of apps.

It works both ways. Apple could also allow tagging and purchasing of songs through FM radio just like they do now with the Nano. You tag it and when you sync back to iTunes it makes it easier to buy the song outright. Pandora had $162 million or revenue and largely continues to lose money. Apple generates almost $5 billion in revenue from iTunes. iTunes streaming is available and uses data. When it isn't available or you don't have enough to stream, use FM radio and tag your favorite songs to purchase for $0.99-$1.29 when around wifi or you have enough cellular data.

See, win-win, just like first and third party apps. Apple isn't going to stream sporting events, talk radio, FM morning shows and plenty of other things that are on FM. Yet they can provide a feature and still have a revenue source. It is no different than with the Nano.

• Reply 16 of 28
    Does the update fix the (broken) loading of large iTunes XML Libraries onto iOS 7.1 devices (which is commented about all over the place and on Apple Support/Discussions)? My iPad Air can never connect to my Shared Library as the data file never finishes loading. A bummer when music is such an important part of my consciousness. Since updating their iDevices to 7.1 no one in my household can access my iTunes Library. Big fail, Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Anyone else long for the old days of using iTunes where you knew where every function was and it was fast and easy to navigate? It is becoming far too big and bloated now and I think Apple could do a far better job with the GUI navigation for all the functions. I understand the need for all the new stuff since in addition to music it now has to also manage videos as well as serve as a sync/backup app for your iOS devices. I just wonder if there isn't a better way to do this even it meant breaking it up into two separate applications. 
    No... It's perfectly simple. It's not hard at all
  • Reply 18 of 28
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

One function I'd like back is the ability to add cover art from my pictures folder (by drag and drop). At the moment the only way to add cover art seems to be if it is on the iTunes store. 

Am I missing something? — does anyone know how to do this, if I am wrong and it can be done?

• Reply 19 of 28
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Does the update fix the (broken) loading of large iTunes XML Libraries onto iOS 7.1 devices (which is commented about all over the place and on Apple Support/Discussions)?
    iTunes does not use the .xml file.
    It is created for other apps to use iTunes.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    iTunes does not use the .xml file.
    It is created for other apps to use iTunes.

The iTunes Library.xml file isn't used by the iTunes app to load all all your items with their metadata?