iTunes 11.2 released for Mac, Windows with improved podcast browsing [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Does the update fix the (broken) loading of large iTunes XML Libraries onto iOS 7.1 devices (which is commented about all over the place and on Apple Support/Discussions)? My iPad Air can never connect to my Shared Library as the data file never finishes loading. A bummer when music is such an important part of my consciousness. Since updating their iDevices to 7.1 no one in my household can access my iTunes Library. Big fail, Apple.

It times out at my end as well. But it works fine with the Remote app see this post:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/179528/apple-remains-mum-as-complaints-mount-over-2011-macbook-pro-gpu-failures/40#post_2533539
    solipsismx wrote: »
    chris_ca wrote: »
    iTunes does not use the .xml file.
    It is created for other apps to use iTunes.

The iTunes Library.xml file isn't used by the iTunes app to load all all your items with their metadata?

I believe Chris_CA is right; the .xml is used by various iLife apps and iTunes to iTunes (phone, other Mac etc) is uses the .itl file:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1660
  • Reply 22 of 28
    bklynkidbklynkid Posts: 36member
    Bah new Podcasts app for iOS crashes after around 10 seconds, every time.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The iTunes Library.xml file isn't used by the iTunes app to load all all your items with their metadata?

No,

The iTunes library.itl file is used by iTunes. It is a proprietary, encrypted database file.

The .xml is created by iTunes for all other apps to access the library.

Quit iTunes, delete the iTunes library.xml, restart iTunes and the .xml will be immediately reconstituted.

• Reply 24 of 28

All I want to be able to do is press "play" on iTunes and have it play back all of my podcasts in the order they were broadcast. (This is pretty normal, right? Who wants to hear the latest episode when there are older ones still unplayed?) But this Unplayed feature is locked into reverse chronological order. It would be perfect for my purpose if it only allowed users to display them in what I think of as a much more intuitive, chronological arrangement. As it is, I have to make my own smart playlist to accomplish this. I can reorder everything else in iTunes with the press of a button, why isn't this feature available for podcasts, which are some of the most time-sensitive content iTunes publishes? Until it is, my verdict on the update is so close, but no cigar.

• Reply 25 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    <p style="border:0px;margin-bottom:10px;margin-top:5px;vertical-align:baseline;">All I want to be able to do is press "play" on iTunes and have it play back all of my podcasts in the order they were broadcast. (This is pretty normal, right? Who wants to hear the latest episode when there are older ones still unplayed?) But this Unplayed feature is locked into reverse chronological order. It would be perfect for my purpose if it only allowed users to display them in what I think of as a much more intuitive, chronological arrangement. As it is, I have to make my own smart playlist to accomplish this. I can reorder everything else in iTunes with the press of a button, why isn't this feature available for podcasts, which are some of the most time-sensitive content iTunes publishes? Until it is, my verdict on the update is so close, but no cigar.</p>

Can't you just create a Smart Playlist and that will do this since you're only talking about using it with iTunes?

edit: Mea culpa. I see you mention that. So isn't that good enough for this since that's the only way to get it to play one after another? BTW, you can reorder them by date from oldest to newest with the List View, just like with Music, TV Shows and Movies, but you also get every Podcast you might have unless you start a search to limit the selection, which is why a Playlist is the best method, right?
  • Reply 26 of 28

Yeah, I've made the smart playlist, which works fine, but now that "Unplayed" is available, I feel like my playlist should be moot. I'm just bewildered that Apple introduced a potentially very useful feature but failed to implement it in a way that would actually be helpful to real end-users. 

• Reply 27 of 28
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Well I am happy to report that with 11.2.1 (likely the former as well) that podcast syncing between iPods and iPhones has finally been fixed to my satisfaction. I know I'm not at all a typical podcast listener (IMHO) because I listen across multiple devices while I suppose most people have just moved on to their iPhones by now. Depending upon the features available in the new iPhone, I might finally join that group but for now I am happy that the prior means of syncing has been fixed and also patched to update location on currently played podcast with my iPhone.

I'd love to see the following improvements which would work with current products that need iTunes and in preparation for an iWatch.

- Bluetooth 4.0 syncing of Podcasts played and location with regard to how much of current podcast has been played. Carry this over to playlists and songs. This would also work well with say... a watch.

- Revamped icons and wallpapers.

- An icon to quickly deal with bluetooth syncing and sharing.

- A revised and improved fitness app for iPod and improved means of dealing with workouts within iTunes also in anticipation of an iWatch.

• Reply 28 of 28
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

We are now up to 11.2.2 and I am still getting a crash in iTunes every couple days that didn't used to happen before. Hope Apple squashes the bugs soon.