Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 184
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

You simply uncheck that from your Apple ID.  It's not a security issue since you had all those numbers and emails associated with a single Apple ID.  Set up another one if you have a problem with that arrangement.

• Reply 42 of 184
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Why? He is nine and using the apps I bought him. I don't want to restore just to go back and download 10GB of the same apps I deleted 30 seconds ago. Why is so difficult for you guys to understand that when you sign out of a service on your phone/PC/tablet the service should stop?! Apple messed up and they need to fix this. It is not a new problem. This was reported two years ago and they haven't done anything about it yet.

If you did delete your iCloud account from your old iPad, you were supposed to sign in with your sons Apple ID. I read in your original post you didn't do that. Your old stuff will still show up until you sign in with a different iCloud account. 

• Reply 43 of 184
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    mr. h wrote: »
    I think suing is way over the top, but this is a problem for which Apple needs to develop a better solution. It's too easy to be ignorant of the fact that - or to forget that - you need to deactivate iMessage before moving to a different type of phone.

I agree. Can't Apple simply make it an iCloud service where you login to iCloud, click to unregistered whatever devices you no longer have, as well as an option to unregister all your Apple devices from iMessage completely in order to receive SMS? It shouldn't be that hard to do. Even if you want to keep some Apple products (like a Mac) you might want to receive SMS. Not me, of course, I like iMessage.

EDIT: I'm thinking of how you can deauthorize lost or broken Kindles right from Amazon's website as an example of this cloud service done right. You should not have to do it from the device. In some cases, it's impossible.
  • Reply 44 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

If you did delete your iCloud account from your old iPad, you were supposed to sign in with your sons Apple ID. I read in your original post you didn't do that. Your old stuff will still show up until you sign in with a different iCloud account. 

If that's true then it's totally counter-intuitive.  I can delete my iCloud account but all my old iCloud stuff will continue to show up?  Why?  Don't Apple understand the concept of deletion?

• Reply 45 of 184
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    If undelivered messages are something you can sue over, I'd like to bring class action against mobile service companies for silently dropping countless SMS messages every year. /s
  • Reply 46 of 184
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

If that's true then it's totally counter-intuitive.  I can delete my iCloud account but all my old iCloud stuff will continue to show up?  Why?  Don't Apple understand the concept of deletion?

From my understanding, that's the way it works. I could be wrong though. But I do agree, if you delete your iCloud account from your iOS device, it should remove everything without having to sign in with a different Apple ID or restoring to factory settings. 

• Reply 47 of 184
    salmanpaksalmanpak Posts: 35member

LOL, I'm just imagining what the tone of this thread would be like if the situation was reversed. ie. a user switching from a Samsung phone to iOS and their text messages were still going to their old phone. What a Google/Samsung bash-fest that would be!

• Reply 48 of 184
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »

I didn't mention that I did sign in to iCloud with my sons account because it is irrelevant. iCloud and iMessage sign in are in two different places. I've been using iPhones since the original and I am also a developer so it is not something I over looked. I spend time researching and it turned out to be a bug with iMessage. Apple support website is full with similar issues.
  • Reply 49 of 184
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    charlituna wrote: »
    I think you might be confusing authorizing computers in this. You don't activate devices for purchases in the same way. The only way a device would still be 'activated' is if you didn't erase it before handing it over. Which is a whole other mess

That doesn't always work. At least it didn't for me.
  • Reply 50 of 184
    There should be an option in the iCloud.com website to be able to remove email addresses and mobile numbers from iMessage.
  • Reply 51 of 184
    grape ceogrape ceo Posts: 26member
    I left my iphone charging on the outlet then I went for a walk. When I came back the phone was cooked up so I guess I should sue Apple because my iphone didn't make me sufficient aware it was going to happen. I'm seeking $2 million in damages <\s>
  • Reply 52 of 184
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    This is a known issue, Apple also is aware of it but at this moment in time hasn't been able to find a solution. But a lawsuit is way over the top.
  • Reply 53 of 184
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

Offcourse Apple needs fix that!, but that lady has no rights to sue a company over that. Her actions makes me think..she's either on crack or working for Shamesung  

• Reply 54 of 184
    djd214djd214 Posts: 31member
    No one is ever opted into iMessage automatically. You have to sign in or accept that you want this to happen. If people would read instead of always assuming you should click okay or yes automatically they might know what they are getting into instead of being idiotic
  • Reply 55 of 184
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

You simply uncheck that from your Apple ID.  It's not a security issue since you had all those numbers and emails associated with a single Apple ID.  Set up another one if you have a problem with that arrangement.

That doesn't always work. It's not as simple as that all the time. 

• Reply 56 of 184
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Doesn't Samsung Smart Switch fix this?

Samsung is the one who sells under the false pretence that it's easy to switch.

You can always send a text message to the 20% of your contacts still using iOS* and ask them to add and delete you as a contact, shouldn't cost too much, iMessaging is free, oops text messaging is not free.

*based on bullshit.

• Reply 57 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Smart Switch is about transferring data, not ensuring that your previous handset hadn't hijacked part of your SMS service.

This problem has nothing to do with Samsung.  Poor form to suggest that it does.

• Reply 58 of 184
    jasonxjasonx Posts: 17member

I'm glad to see that there are many intelligent posters who recognize that this is a real problem.  This is a big issue for the people affected, and it is entirely Apple's fault.  The many posters who automatically screamed "frivolous lawsuit!" or "PBKAC!" really sicken me.  

And I also agree that those same people would be screaming bloody murder if Samsung were doing this to iPhone switchers.

• Reply 59 of 184
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    I fully support this lawsuit 100%. It is completely unethical & illegal that Apple is hijacking people's text messages, just because those people decide to switch to a different phone.

At the very least, Apple should give people the option to log into the iCloud website and disable iMessage.

For those people commenting here that this woman should have known better, I'd love to see the temper tantrums you would be throwing if this happened to you. So just shut your traps. Your opinion on this matter is truly irrelevant and unimportant.
  • Reply 60 of 184
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I didn't mention that I did sign in to iCloud with my sons account because it is irrelevant. iCloud and iMessage sign in are in two different places. I've been using iPhones since the original and I am also a developer so it is not something I over looked. I spend time researching and it turned out to be a bug with iMessage. Apple support website is full with similar issues.

Much of iMessage and the way it is used by the masses is indeed confusing and Apple needs to do better at educating (and improving on) iMessage.  I don't think a class action lawsuit is necessary however this is what happens when Apple does not do a good job at responding quickly to issues.

I and at least 5 other people I know personally were caught off guard when people (typically family members) who share iCloud accounts with family members' new devices suddenly see their text messages appearing on all devices.

It's counter intuitive. People share iCloud accounts but they don't share text messages...this needs to be obviously apparent if Apple wants to stay within its "just works" meme.