Apple and Google agree to drop all ongoing lawsuits, will work toward patent reform

Comments

• Reply 21 of 148
    tomdritomdri Posts: 18member
    Looks like we're going to need a bigger sandbox. Perhaps it's got something to do about iTunes going android and the new Beats big wigs making inroads into signing as many contracts possible before they take the show from the sandbox to the court.
  • Reply 22 of 148
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Peace treaties are only worth as much as the integrity of each party signing that agreement.

Does anybody really think that if Apple were to introduce a new revolutionary device, that Google wouldn't be scrambling to copy that device as soon as they could?

What would Apple do then? Stick to the "peace treaty" and pretend like nothing's happened or would they declare war? 

Look at what happened to naive Europe when certain countries signed the Munich agreement. Look at what happened to foolish Russia when they made a pact with Germany. Certain terrorist groups are also known for wanting a peace treaty (whenever things are going badly for them), but it's merely a ploy to grant a temporary halt in fighting, so that they can regroup and continue on with their main goal, which is the opposite of peace.

• Reply 23 of 148
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Peace treaties are only worth as much as the integrity of both parties signing that agreement.

Does anybody really think that if Apple were to introduce a new revolutionary device, that Google wouldn't be scrambling to copy that device as soon as they could?

What would Apple do then? Stick to the "peace treaty" and pretend like nothing's happened or would they declare war? 

Look at what happened to naive Europe when certain countries signed the Munich agreement. Look at what happened to foolish Russia when they made a pact with Germany. Certain terrorist groups are also known for wanting a peace treaty (when things are going badly for them), but it's merely a ploy to grant a temporary halt in fighting, so that they can regroup and continue on with their main goal, which is the opposite of peace.

I don't believe this will have any effect on future inventions or patents. I could be wrong, but that would be an unusual arrangement especially with no cross-licensing agreement.

• Reply 24 of 148
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    There was no cross-licensing agreement reached as a result of this action.
    I know, but I had the impression that his comment was in regard of that.(With the article mentioning cross license although not part of this agreement)
    As he described Google as one trick pony and with Apple too much to loose, sounded like he was talking about cross licensing.
  • Reply 25 of 148
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Google wants this because it creates an illusion of credibility for Android, but it doesn't actually help a Google OEM that goes ahead and adds UI elements and functionality on top of Android that violate Apple patents. So Apple doesn't really give up anything.

Apple is okay with this deal because it knows that Android is a fragmented mess that is falling behind iOS; just watch the attempt to move Android to 64-bit that will take years before the OS and app ecosystem are truly 64-bit (meaning, not simply compiled as 64-bit apps, but optimized as 64-bit apps). And Apple is about to extend its ecosystem in several carefully planned directions that will further make Android look like a left-over from the crap-piled-on-crap Windows-era OS paradigm. Apple simply understands that this battle is no longer needed.
  • Reply 26 of 148
    Anything to do with Chinese copycats? (ehum Mi Pad).

Why fight each other when both your ideas and designs are being usurped by foreign companies in the worlds second largest economy, a source of incredible value.

They'll probably make a joint effort to protect American ideas abroad by lobbying to change chinese ip law....if the idea of ip even exists in their culture.
  • Reply 27 of 148
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In terms of "lawsuit years" this hasn't really been going on that long. Just because it is over reported here and in the news does not make it unusual in terms of patent suits.

So, its still too long. Everyone has to lose and Apple has to win right?

• Reply 28 of 148
    muaddibmuaddib Posts: 81member

If the settlement didn't happen  now  it would have when Lenovo took over the company.  Motorola lost money and didn't really sell enough handsets to be a threat to Apple.  Motorola sued first and Google inherited the lawsuit once they bought the company.  Lenovo probably just told Google to make the lawsuits to go away.

• Reply 29 of 148
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

So, its still too long. Everyone has to lose and Apple has to win right?

Quick unrelated Q, but I simply must know. Why exactly do you think it's a great idea to have your setup and specs in your signature? How is it relevant, and how exactly do you think cares how much ram, clockspeed, harddrive space, videocard, etc your mac mini has- especially when it's something completely average? It just creates wasted space, extra noise, and extra scrolling on the forums. I can't stand signatures to begin with (there's nothing important or witty enough to have as a PERMANENT part of every single one of your posts) but spec signatures? Those I understand least of all. At least a statement can convey a giggle, inspiration, or a philosopy. What exactly is the purpose of your signature?

I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious as to your thought process- and others like you. 

• Reply 30 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quick unrelated Q, but I simply must know. Why exactly do you think it's a great idea to have your setup and specs in your signature? How is it relevant, and how exactly do you think cares how much ram, clockspeed, harddrive space, videocard, etc your mac mini has- especially when it's something completely average? It just creates wasted space, extra noise, and extra scrolling on the forums. I can't stand signatures to begin with (there's nothing important or witty enough to have as a PERMANENT part of every single one of your posts) but spec signatures? Those I understand least of all. At least a statement can convey a giggle, inspiration, or a philosopy. What exactly is the purpose of your signature?

I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious as to your thought process- and others like you. 

Just to piss people like you off...Wait a second..I'll make it bigger for you! LOL

EDIT...There...made it even more obnoxious for you. HAHAHA!

• Reply 31 of 148
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    muaddib wrote: »
    If the settlement didn't happen  now  it would have when Lenovo took over the company.  Motorola lost money and didn't really sell enough handsets to be a threat to Apple.  Motorola sued first and Google inherited the lawsuit once they bought the company.  Lenovo probably just told Google to make the lawsuits to go away.
    Well the last part of your comment could have been a possibility if the agreement was just between Motorola and Apple. But it is between Google (and includes Motorola) and Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 148
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Just to piss people like you off...

Sure, that's why you do it¡
  • Reply 33 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure, that's why you do it¡

Yes...I believe Slurpy asked me before or made a snarky comment about it so every time he does I'll make it more and more obnoxious. Its no more dumb than someone's stupid quote, or saying they're an Apple Shareholder like that makes them above the people who aren't, etc. This entire AI site is a joke anyways so what difference does it make. 

• Reply 34 of 148
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Peace treaties are only worth as much as the integrity of each party signing that agreement.

Look at what happened to naive Europe when certain countries signed the Munich agreement. Look at what happened to foolish Russia when they made a pact with Germany. Certain terrorist groups are also known for wanting a peace treaty (whenever things are going badly for them), but it's merely a ploy to grant a temporary halt in fighting, so that they can regroup and continue on with their main goal, which is the opposite of peace.

Because Apple is the only company in the world to come up with revolutionary products. Um, no. They have before but so has other companies.
  • Reply 35 of 148
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    This is great news!  It's good to see both sides taking a less aggressive stance with each other.  It'll be interesting to see what comes of the patent reform talk (if anything).
  • Reply 36 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I feel PED's summation is nearest the mark of all the articles I have read on this ... http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/05/16/apple-google-motorola-detente/
  • Reply 37 of 148
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This entire AI site is a joke anyways so what difference does it make. 

So then why are you here?

• Reply 38 of 148
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Well the last part of your comment could have been a possibility if the agreement was just between Motorola and Apple. But it is between Google (and includes Motorola) and Apple.

This is about Motorola. Thats why there are no cross licenses. Google caved to make sure their deal to sell Motorola goes through. What company would be silly enough to buy a failing company who is tied up in court cases.  

• Reply 39 of 148
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Just to piss people like you off...Wait a second..I'll make it bigger for you! LOL

EDIT...There...made it even more obnoxious for you. HAHAHA!

Textbook definition of trolling: deliberately provoking with the intention of disrupting the forums, rather than adding to the discussion. FYI. Naturally, AI mods will turn a deaf ear to it, so, carry on provoking. ;)
  • Reply 40 of 148
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Crap.

So Google won.

Waiting for Google and Comcast to combine and screw us all.