Google buys developer of featured iPhone app 'Word Lens'

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 122
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    slurpy wrote: »
    This post is stupider than the average stupidity of your posts, which is quite an accomplishment. There's a shitload of great translation apps on the appstore- so what the **** are you going on about. Also, you don't have the faintest clue- you honestly think they plan to use sapphire to "bling" up devices? You don't think they just MAY have some fucntional and far-reaching applications for it? Oh, and they didn't buy them- they invested in them. Get your fucking facts straight. Also, nothing has been confirmed yet as far as Beats yet, and even if it was, you still don't have the faintest clue of Apple's motivations- which clearly were not made on a whim. What a garbage-laden, fact-less post filled with your usual trollish drivel. 

    This post is the dumbest reply yet! (see, I can play that game too). You simply have no clue about translation or translation apps. Almost all of the apps in the App Store are DICTIONARIES! Do you know how hard it is to find something when you don't even know how to enter text into it because you can't write chinese/japanese characters?

    Besides Word Lens, THERE IS NOTHING IN THE APP STORE THAT DOES AUTOMATIC TRANSLATION of writing just based on a camera pic you take!

    As for sapphire, have you scratched your Gorilla Glass yet? How about an even stronger Gorilla Glass 2? Unless you carry diamond bits in your pocket, you didn't. So why should I care about sapphire? I do care about practical stuff… like, you know, NOT GETTING LOST IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY because I can't speak the language and because Apple Maps are UTTER CRAP.

    But Tim Cook doesn't care about trivial stuff like that.
  • Reply 82 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

     

    I thought I would do a little time travel. 

     

    This was sort of the consensus of the day in late 2006.

     

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/68961/neeham-sees-macs-capturing-8-3-pc-share-by-2016/40#post_1003321


     

    ..How quickly things change. 


    Yes and the things people are saying today will be just as ridiculous 10 years from now.

  • Reply 83 of 122
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bighype View Post





    Because Tim Cook's an idiot. That's why.

    Oh and I am sure you can show us that you are much smarter than Tim Cook and that you can run Apple or any company even better than how Tim Cook runs Apple.

  • Reply 84 of 122
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Does it work for you? Wrote casa & abuela on a piece of paper & didn't work, maybe spelled them wrong?

    Yeah it works pretty well for me. It was never design for handwriting or even normally sized typesets on paper. It's meant for signs. I've tried it with books and it works but because of so many works it's always flipping back and forth between translated and non. But for signs and large type it works well.
  • Reply 85 of 122
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    realistic wrote: »
    Oh and I am sure you can show us that you are much smarter than Tim Cook and that you can run Apple or any company even better than how Tim Cook runs Apple.

    That's a silly non-argument. Does one have to be a CEO to criticize another CEO? What do you do for a living? Are you allowed to comment on someone's performance if you're not in the same profession?

    I'm judging the guy based on his priorities and comparing his leadership to the leadership of other tech CEOs. If you compare what Cook is buying and what Larry Page and Mark Zuckerberg are buying, you can see a clear difference. Cook is hiring fashion and luxury goods people and is buying fashion accessories companies while Page/Zuckerberg are hiring technology people and are buying deep technology companies.

    That has nothing to do with smarts, it's just the reality based on facts.
  • Reply 86 of 122
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    macvicta wrote: »
    Instead of bitching and moaning about Google, you should be lamenting the fact that Apple lacked the foresight to buy such a potentially transformative app and integrate it into their own operating system. Apple looked at it and only saw a neat commercial.

    It doesn't make a lot of sense for Apple to buy it when they don't have translation services to bolster.
  • Reply 87 of 122
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bighype View Post





    Future? I already have Android envy because it has Google Goggles and iOS has nothing.

     

    It's obvious that Google Goggles makes your dick hard for some reason, but I don't know a damn person who even uses it. I tried it a couple times when I was messing around, and it seemed completely useless- was much quicker to type in what I was looking for instead of relying on some unreliable image recognition. Also, Google Goggles is integrated into the Google Search iOS app, so what the **** are you talking about? Since you have so much enby for Android, why can't you shut the **** up and buy an Android device instead of trolling every thread here with your bullshit?

     

    And apparently you're scared of getting "lost" without WordLens- miraculously, even though nobody seems to use that app, travellers seem to manage not to get lost. Word Lens has been on the appstore for AGES- it created some noise when it first launched, then- Nothing. I haven't heard anything about it since this news, it hasn't been anywhere NEAR the top charts, and it looks like an ancient app- the developers couldnt even be bothered to visually update it. If it was such a stunning piece of work- as you claim- it would have been scooped up ages ago. I deleted it myself, because it was unreliable, gimmicky, and I felt like an idiot pointing my phone at things. But suddenly, Apple made the most epic mistake not purchasing this app that noone gives a shit about? Tone down your trolling- and try to manage to not bump into walls without needing to look through a damn screen all the time to figure out where you're going. The rest of us seem to manage to do so fine. You clearly despise Apple going by all your other posts on this forum, so stop pretending to be a disappointed Apple-fan- It's pathetic.

  • Reply 88 of 122
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bighype View Post





    That's a silly non-argument. Does one have to be a CEO to criticize another CEO? What do you do for a living? Are you allowed to comment on someone's performance if you're not in the same profession?



    I'm judging the guy based on his priorities and comparing his leadership to the leadership of other tech CEOs. If you compare what Cook is buying and what Larry Page and Mark Zuckerberg are buying, you can see a clear difference. Cook is hiring fashion and luxury goods people and is buying fashion accessories companies while Page/Zuckerberg are hiring technology people and are buying deep technology companies.



    That has nothing to do with smarts, it's just the reality based on facts.

    I agree you have the right to disagree with what Tim Cook does and says but calling him an idiot because you disagree with him is a bit much and implies that almost anyone, including you, could do better. In your comparison of Cook to Page and Zuckerberg you mention only fashion and luxury goods for Cook neglecting to mention or consider some of the other companies Apple has purchased 2011: Anobit... 2012: AuthenTec... 2013: Novauris Technologies, WiFiSlam, Locationary, HopStop.comPassif Semiconductor, Matcha, Embark, AlgoTrim, CuePrimeSenseTopsyBroadMap, Catch.com, SnappyLabs, Burstly, 2014: LuxVue Technology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Apple

     

    PS Don't bother replying. I blocked you so I no longer have to see your baseless and factless posts.

  • Reply 89 of 122
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,674member
    realistic wrote: »


    All valid points.
    PS Don't bother replying. I blocked you so I no longer have to see your baseless and factless posts.

    The only problem is that if you signed up to receive emails on updates from this site you too will get likely get "replies in your inbox from people this dumb".
  • Reply 90 of 122
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    ipen wrote: »

    Privacy?  Data mining?  for what?  Why people still use their real data when dealing with Google?  Just get the free stuff and feed Google with ton of fake info.  Alternate identity is the way to internet security.

    How ? You can't be completly anonymous on the internet these days... Only thing you can do is to stop using any google services and instal ad block+ never click on those adds that will pass. In a matter of weeks most of the ad's you will see when you turn off the ad block will be crap of type "70 year woman looks like 40 ! Do you want to know how she did that ? >>CLICK HERE<<" or "thermal isolation for your family house + phasade for 1$"

    Yes now advertisers don't know anything about me and I like that.

    And BTW I think the Ad's on the internet are just a big bubble that can burst at any time, just ask yourselfs, when you bought something from an internet Ad last time and how many Ad's you clicked and then went back to your previous site ?
  • Reply 91 of 122
    mac95mac95 Posts: 26member

    ...and there is nothing wrong with things being 'Apple only', so far.

  • Reply 92 of 122
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    "Estrada desmoronada. Desvio..." is not Galician, it's Portuguese. It's kinda ironic one should get such a thing wrong, alongside mistakingly quoting it as "desmoronado", in an article precisely about translation. It reveals the depth at which a person's thinking is working which the article was written with.
  • Reply 93 of 122
    mac95mac95 Posts: 26member

    woah, lotsa 'members' to block today... :/

  • Reply 94 of 122
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
     
    Was going to download this.

    Not now.

    That's ok, I'll download it for you. So will many others.
    gregnacu wrote: »
     
    Good-bye word lens.  Don't you love how Google buys up everything cool?

    I don't want Apple to buy up companies just to protect them, but it seems like the only way to prevent Google or Facebook or some other company from snatching them up.

    I just pisses me off that cool tech companies doing neat stuff end up being owned by Companies whose products and services I don't want to touch with a ten-foot pole.  I mean now what? I'll never get to use Nest, or WordLense, or Occulus Rift.  Like, F-off big goliathes that I hate.

    So you are saying no other company is supposed to buy other companies except for Apple? Apple is the only company allowed to make products? 

    No; he's saying that Google are a special case—nutcase, if you like, in their instance.
  • Reply 95 of 122
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    bighype wrote: »
    So what?
    How is that a problem for you?

    My iPhone is becoming less and less useful to me. That's what my problem is. All the useful stuff will be on Android, not on iPhone. iPhone will be just another Vertu: an expensive phone that looks amazing but has horrible functionalities and people will be buying it not for features but because it's a status symbol.

    Oh please. Go troll some other forum with your cackle-footed bozo-Beats dribble-posts.
  • Reply 96 of 122
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    mstone wrote: »
    slurpy wrote: »
     
    mstone wrote: »
     
    I thought I would do a little time travel. 

    This was sort of the consensus of the day in late 2006.

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/68961/neeham-sees-macs-capturing-8-3-pc-share-by-2016/40#post_1003321

    ..How quickly things change. 
    Yes and the things people are saying today will be just as ridiculous 10 years from now.

    Your comment is ridiculous today, just as it will be in 100 years' time.
  • Reply 97 of 122
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    realistic wrote: »
    bighype wrote: »
    Because Tim Cook's an idiot. That's why.
    Oh and I am sure you can show us that you are much smarter than Tim Cook and that you can run Apple or any company even better than how Tim Cook runs Apple.

    Quite. Too many Cooks spoil the broth.
  • Reply 98 of 122
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    bighype wrote: »
    realistic wrote: »
    Oh and I am sure you can show us that you are much smarter than Tim Cook and that you can run Apple or any company even better than how Tim Cook runs Apple.

    That's a silly non-argument. Does one have to be a CEO to criticize another CEO? What do you do for a living? Are you allowed to comment on someone's performance if you're not in the same profession?

    I'm judging the guy based on his priorities and comparing his leadership to the leadership of other tech CEOs. If you compare what Cook is buying and what Larry Page and Mark Zuckerberg are buying, you can see a clear difference. Cook is hiring fashion and luxury goods people and is buying fashion accessories companies while Page/Zuckerberg are hiring technology people and are buying deep technology companies.

    That has nothing to do with smarts, it's just the reality based on facts.

    You need to fight the devil—you are full of lies.
  • Reply 99 of 122
    vidsmartvidsmart Posts: 5member
    bighype wrote: »
    Apple's becoming a fashion company under Cook's horrible leadership. This is expected.

    Facebook is buying communications, VR, AI companies, Google's buying AI, robotics companies and Apple's buying urban/ghetto fashion brands.

    What a smug, borderline racist comment.
  • Reply 100 of 122
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,631member
    I just downloaded it and while it would have been even better if it had supported non-Roman languages, I think this is an incredible app and I don't care who owns it. Seeing as even the in-app purchases are currently free, it's even better.

    My only concern about using Google-owned apps is the personal information they collect. And if Google stopped it from working on iOS devices and instead made it part of Android, obviously that would be a bad thing for iOS users.

    But you can't blame the developers. Someone (anyone) walks in and offers you a lifetime of riches for your one app, you're going to take the deal.

    I may not "like" Google or Microsoft, but if I need/want their apps, then I want/their apps. It's acting like a three-year-old to play the spite game.
Sign In or Register to comment.