Rumor: Apple taps Innolux to fill orders for 4.7" 'iPhone 6' displays

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Taiwanese LCD manufacturer Innolux has beaten out rivals Sharp and Samsung in the race to supply 4.7-inch displays for Apple's next-generation iPhone, a Monday report said.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.

If true, Innolux would join LG Display and Japan Display Corporation as suppliers of 4.7-inch panels for the device, according to Taiwanese newspaper UDN. The report was first noticed by GforGames.
Innolux is thought to have benefitted from Apple's reluctance to expand its reliance on South Korean conglomerate Samsung. The two companies find themselves increasingly at odds -- both in the marketplace and in the courtroom -- even as Samsung supplies a number of critical parts for Apple, most notably as the fabricator of the A-series processors inside the iPhone and iPad.

Sharp, meanwhile, is believed to have been dismissed after quality issues arose during preliminary test runs. That would represent the second time Apple shunned Sharp this year, after the Japanese company was reportedly ousted from the iPad mini supply chain in March.

There was no word on who Apple would turn to for panels in its rumored larger, 5.5-inch "phablet" iPhone. That device is expected to be release late this fall, possibly months after its smaller sibling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Rumor: Apple tabs Innolux to fill orders for 4.7" 'iPhone 6' displays

Shouldn't that be 'Taps'?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Rumor: Apple tabs Innolux to fill orders for 4.7" 'iPhone 6' displays

Shouldn't that be 'Taps'?

Yep. Ugh.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yep. Ugh.

Nope. Ugh. 

verb

3rd person present: tabs

1. 1.

mark or identify with a projecting piece of material.

"he opened the book at a page tabbed by a cloth bookmark"

• NORTH AMERICAN

identify as being of a specified type or suitable for a specified position.

"he was tabbed by the President as the next Republican National Committee chairman"

• Reply 4 of 51
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

The rumors are significantly thinner on the 5.5" displays.  This could be related to a later release date (maybe Apple isn't yet in the production ramp up stage) or it could be that there is not 5.5" version.  It's not only display production rumors that seem few and far between, but also there seem to be zero leaks of the phone shell or any other variants of the rumors we're hearing about the 4.7" version.

• Reply 5 of 51
    bobjohnson wrote: »
    Nope. Ugh. 

verb
    <ol style="border:0px;color:rgb(34,34,34);margin-left:0px;padding-left:20px;"><li style="border:0px;list-style:none;padding-top:0px;">
    <div style="padding-top:10px;">
    [FLOAT=LEFT]1.[/FLOAT]
    <div style="margin-left:20px;">
    <div>
    <div style="display:inline;">mark or identify with a projecting piece of material.</div>

</div>
    <div style="margin-left:-13px;">
    <ul style="border:0px;margin-left:0px;"><li style="border:0px;list-style:none;padding-top:0px;">
    <div style="display:list-item;list-style-type:disc;margin-left:25px;padding-top:5px;">
    <div>
    <div><span style="color:rgb(119,119,119);display:inline-block;margin-right:6px;margin-top:-1px;padding:4px 6px;">NORTH AMERICAN</span>
    </div>
    <div style="display:inline;">identify as being of a specified type or suitable for a specified position.</div>

"he was tabbed by the President as the next Republican National Committee chairman"
    </ol>

Welcome back under your latest nom de plume, TekStud.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Nope. Ugh. 

verb
    <ol style="border:0px;color:rgb(34,34,34);margin-left:0px;padding-left:20px;"><li style="border:0px;list-style:none;padding-top:0px;">
    <div style="padding-top:10px;">
    [FLOAT=LEFT]1.[/FLOAT]
    <div style="margin-left:20px;">
    <div>
    <div style="display:inline;">mark or identify with a projecting piece of material.</div>

</div>
    <div style="margin-left:-13px;">
    <ul style="border:0px;margin-left:0px;"><li style="border:0px;list-style:none;padding-top:0px;">
    <div style="display:list-item;list-style-type:disc;margin-left:25px;padding-top:5px;">
    <div>
    <div><span style="color:rgb(119,119,119);display:inline-block;margin-right:6px;margin-top:-1px;padding:4px 6px;">NORTH AMERICAN</span>
    </div>
    <div style="display:inline;">identify as being of a specified type or suitable for a specified position.</div>

</div>
    </div>

</li>

</ul>
    </div>

</div>

</div>
    </li>

</ol>

Yep, it really reads well used in place of 'taps' in that context ./s .. I guess you'd like this too? "The Prime Minister tabs John Smith for promotion".
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Expect headline writing to be lazy and repetitive. They stick with what works for SEO.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, it really reads well used in place of 'taps' in that context ./s .. I guess you'd like this too? "The Prime Minister tabs John Smith for promotion".

You're right! I would quite like this, since it would be the correct usage. "Taps" does not mean what you guys think it means - if Innolux were a mine in the middle of Australia where LCD screens are dug from the earth, Apple could indeed "tap" it. Unfortunately, since it is not, it must instead be "tabbed." 

Your quarrel is with the English language, take it up with our ancestors.

• Reply 9 of 51
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

I believe the whole 5.5" thing will turn out a false rumour. Not only are there no indications regarding such a model whatsoever, I also don't think it would make much sense for Apple to come out with a "phablet".

Apple is already offering iPads successfully and we got the quite small iPad Mini for those things. Now, despite trying to get developers to design resolution independent applications, Apple is still distinguishing between iPhone and iPad apps. This makes sense, because of the added screen real estate. Now let's say a phablet would be classified as phone, all you'd get is the same iPhone apps stretched with a bit more of space for browsable content, similar to Android. I doubt they'd classify it as iPad, because most apps which work on an iPad Mini would probably become to small to operate properly on 5.5".

Considering that we do have a real lot of fantastic tablet specific apps on iOS, I just don't see the point for an Apple phablet. This might make sense for Android, where there are next to no good tablet apps and all you get is stretched stuff anyway. In my opinion this would only clutter Apple's product line unnecessarily.

What I actually believe is going to happen is that we'll get a new 4.7" model with higher resolution @3x, while keeping the existing 4" screen size around at current retina resolution. Lots of people seem happy with the currently relatively small screen, so I don't think Apple will just cut that model off completely. At the same time I don't see them going ironing board style.

• Reply 10 of 51
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member

If Apple can make an iPod itouch 5th generation; it can make both the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhone 6 models.  The R&D on the case has already been done 2 years ago.  It not rocket science when you have the 4" itouch to look at to enlarge it! 

I can see maybe the screen resolution to HD might be a problem but going from there to HD+ should be simple (Quad HD)!  But Apple needs to plan ahead for the next upgrade in 2015 and 2016 too!

I not sure what size I going to buy?  It seems that the right size would be the 5.5" but 4.7" seems to be more manageable.  I been watching what people are using and I see a lot of people with Samsung Note 3s.   5.5" might become the standard.    

• Reply 11 of 51
    Besides "taps" is what Skull and Bones does when they select new members. Ick. How about 'selects', 'chooses', 'picks' instead? Leave 'tapping' to the secret society creeps.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    The rumors are significantly thinner on the 5.5" displays.  This could be related to a later release date (maybe Apple isn't yet in the production ramp up stage) or it could be that there is not 5.5" version.  It's not only display production rumors that seem few and far between, but also there seem to be zero leaks of the phone shell or any other variants of the rumors we're hearing about the 4.7" version.

I find that interesting, because if hoaxers were behind it, that's exactly the one they should hoax. It's either not in the pipeline or late.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    You're right! I would quite like this, since it would be the correct usage. "Taps" does not mean what you guys think it means - if Innolux were a mine in the middle of Australia where LCD screens are dug from the earth, Apple could indeed "tap" it. Unfortunately, since it is not, it must instead be "tabbed." 

Your quarrel is with the English language, take it up with our ancestors.

It seems the article title has been amended to 'taps'. By the way it probably comes from 'Tap into' as in a resource, perhaps even 'taps on the shoulder' as in selects, as it were. I have never ever seen 'tab' used in the way you suggest, as in 'he was tabbed for the post', care to post some examples, I'm always open to learn something new.

I just read all your 14 posts. You seem to be a jolly chap. :)
  • Reply 14 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Nope. Ugh.

verb
    3rd person present: tabs
    mark or identify with a projecting piece of material.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    identify as being of a specified type or suitable for a specified position.

1) Your first definition refers to a protruding piece, like with tab and slot mechanism on the box of the sugary cereals you eat.

2) Your second definition is based on that first one and this sense your example simply means they stand out as a viable candidate.

3) While that 2nd definition could be used to refer to Innolux as a viable candidate the rest of the title goes too far for that to be the correct word of choice over taps, which means, "draw a supply from (a resource)."

4) AI has altered the title from tabs to taps.

PS: Here's the kicker. If you had argued that tabs could have also also worked had the sentence be written slightly different you would have had a point but your "Nope. Ugh." clearly disallowed that taps was even a viable choice for the title as written which means you're not just a little wrong, but very wrong.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I have never ever seen 'tab' used in the way you suggest, as in 'he was tabbed for the post', care to post some examples, I'm always open to learn something new.

It's atypical but it's used to mean someone is the forerunner for a position. As in, that person is somewhat out in front of the others as the candidate, just like the tab on slot & tab system protrudes farther than everything else around it.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's atypical but it's used to mean someone is the forerunner for a position. As in, that person is somewhat out in front of the others as the candidate, just like the tab on slot & tab system protrudes farther than everything else around it.

Thanks, yep, I read more and see it is peculiar to North America to use tab in that way, hence it sounded weird to me I guess. Often times when that is the case it is, ironically, old English that lives on (after dying out in Britain) rather than as many Brits think, Americans messing with 'their' language ... faucet being a prime example. These things fascinate me for some reason :) My OP asked if they meant 'taps' I was not being belligerent for a second.

Way to derail the thread though ... sorry folks.

AAPL 605+ !!! :smokey:
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Can't wait for this 4.7" iPhone. I'll be waiting outside the Apple store for this one, for sure.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Can't wait for this 4.7" iPhone. I'll be waiting outside the Apple store for this one, for sure.
    I hope millions more across the World share that sentiment. :D
  • Reply 19 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

Not me. Way too big. If no new smaller option I will not be buying an older model either. This could backfire on Apple big time. Apple is already has the largest market share in the U.S. with a smaller screen. People obviously like it. A bigger screen without another option except an older model is taking a big risk with those of us who like smaller screens.

• Reply 20 of 51
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

all this means is that those who have complained about the lack of larger screens all this time will be complaining about the price.