Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone

Comments

• Reply 161 of 184
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Why not?

You'd have to do that if you changed your number.

I don't see people suing phone companies because a port in failed.

Ok sparkles, this has nothing to do with Samsung or Android. It's a Apple issue no matter how you spin it. These are the facts.
  • Reply 162 of 184
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    jasonx wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that there are many intelligent posters who recognize that this is a real problem.  This is a big issue for the people affected, and it is entirely Apple's fault.  The many posters who automatically screamed "frivolous lawsuit!" or "PBKAC!" really sicken me.  

And I also agree that those same people would be screaming bloody murder if Samsung were doing this to iPhone switchers.

Yes, Apple should fix this, for a number of reasons.
    Yes, of course the same would be true if Samsung were doing it to iPhone switchers. But Samsung doesn't have an app + service like iMessage that doubles as an SMS app. If anything, Samsung preinstalls 5 different apps that do same thing, rather than one app that does multiple things :)
  • Reply 163 of 184
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

As already stated, this has absolutely nothing to do with Samsung or Android. The user could have switched to literally any other phone, from any other manufacturer, with any other OS, and encountered the same problem.

Your insistence on linking this to Samsung and Android betrays your bias.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Ok sparkles, this has nothing to do with Samsung or Android. It's a Apple issue no matter how you spin it. These are the facts.

What's this then:-

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In her claim, Moore notes she was automatically opted-in to use iMessage when her iPhone 4 updated to iOS 5. When she later traded in that device for a Galaxy S5 in April, iMessage continued to send text messages originating from other iPhone users to the now deactivated Apple smartphone without forwarding them to the Samsung handset. Senders are not notified that their message was not forwarded, leaving both parties in the lurch.

Maybe the people who "traded in" the phone should have helped her disable it, after all a "traded in" iPhone is useless unless it is unlinked from iCloud and find my iPhone is switched off.

• Reply 164 of 184
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    I have no sympathy for this lady. iMessage is a proprietary service. There is no obligation on Apple's part whatsoever to make life easy for people who wish to move their iMessages to another platform. She could have simply used SMS if she wanted to be sure that she could change to another platform with no issues. There was no need for her to use iMessages; it was her choice to.

Does she expect all her iOS apps to work on Android, too?
  • Reply 165 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I have no sympathy for this lady. iMessage is a proprietary service. There is no obligation on Apple's part whatsoever to make life easy for people who wish to move their iMessages to another platform. She could have simply used SMS if she wanted to be sure that she could change to another platform with no issues. There was no need for her to use iMessages; it was her choice to.

SHE WAS NOT TRYING TO MOVE iMESSAGES TO ANOTHER PLATFORM. SHE WAS SIMPLY TRYING TO GET THE iMESSAGE SERVER TO RELEASE HER PHONE NUMBER SO THAT iPHONES COULD SEND AN SMS TO HER NON-iOS DEVICE.
  • Reply 166 of 184
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    solipsismx wrote: »

SHE WAS NOT TRYING TO MOVE iMESSAGES TO ANOTHER PLATFORM. SHE WAS SIMPLY TRYING TO GET THE iMESSAGE SERVER TO RELEASE HER PHONE NUMBER SO THAT iPHONES COULD SEND AN SMS TO HER NON-iOS DEVICE.
    I think Mr frost is being deliberately obtuse.
  • Reply 167 of 184
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">What's this then:-</span>

Maybe the people who "traded in" the phone should have helped her disable it, after all a "traded in" iPhone is useless unless it is unlinked from iCloud and find my iPhone is switched off.

What makes you think that they didn't? We can't assume what happened, and what didn't happen.
  • Reply 168 of 184
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    We can't assume what happened, and what didn't happen.

"Assumptions are the mother of all fuckups" (especially in ICT)
  • Reply 169 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Obviously not. Don't be ridiculous.

As to your other point about Apple having no obligation to help out ex-customers:
    1. That's stupid. You don't win customers back by acting like a petty jerk towards them.
    2. This ex-customer clearly has at least one friend who is a current customer. And that current customer is also being affected negatively, as their messages are not being delivered.

So, doubly short sighted and petty.
  • Reply 170 of 184
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Have a friend who recently switched away & despite trying to unregister her number with every Apple device the issue persists. Sorry but Apple absolutely needs to fix this and should be able to. All they need to do is provide a page where you login with your apple ID & basically reset associated phone numbers/e-mails. It's been well past 45 days and I still have issues, sorry but that is a load of crap & if it's truly been a known issue since iOS 5 then it would seem a lawsuit is the only way Apple is going to take the problem seriously.

I love my iPhone & would never switch but least I can do is not be so blinded by my affection for Apple that I let them get away with obvious negligence.
  • Reply 171 of 184

not correct - when i go there - there is NO DEVICES listed at all  _ i did call tech support and YES they did revoke the certs- but this still has not solved it for everyone of my contacts with an iphone - some got the iphone because its an easy phone but DO NOT want to mess with deleting a contact to re-add one.

So after all of the suggestions and all the supposed fixes - i still am not getting some peoples SMS from iphones.

Apple needs to address this and i am sure they would - as others suggested its probably harder to fix then not - otherwise they would. Being that its been 2 years and only a minor amount of complaints from the majority of customers -  a lawsuit filed may help bring to apple the attention this needs to be solved.

In reply to:

"Originally Posted by leighr View Post

In case you didn't see the post above, there is a simple way. Use a computer that is connected to the internet to go tohttps://supportprofile.apple.com/ and log in with your Apple ID, then deactivate your old phone. Quite simple really, and quicker and cheaper than a court case"

• Reply 172 of 184
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    boo hooo hoo my new pacifier doesn't taste the same as my old one ,arghhhhhhhhhhh, and its all your fault. you owe me. ITS SOOO PATHETIC
  • Reply 173 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    ITS SOOO PATHETIC
    The a Apple apologism and refusal to accept that they're in error? Sure is.
  • Reply 174 of 184
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

boo hooo hoo my new pacifier doesn't taste the same as my old one ,arghhhhhhhhhhh, and its all your fault. you owe me. ITS SOOO PATHETIC

Take your trolling elsewhere sir.

• Reply 175 of 184
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I have never had this problem. I thought everyone knows that in iPhone settings > Messages > Send SMS there is always an option to send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable. This setting is always there as far as I know. Or is this entire different problem?
  • Reply 176 of 184
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

I think Mr frost is being deliberately obtuse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

SolipsismX

What are you talking about? It's always there...

iPhone settings >  Messages > Send SMS (send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable).

• Reply 177 of 184
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interesting predicament. The easy answer is to disable the phone number as a viable address option as soon as you log out of iMessage or wipe your device. However, you can also have iMessages go to other devices that use that phone number. Should the system disable that phone number a valid address if, say, if your phone was lost, stolen or broke? What if you have a Mac or iPad but still like to use that phone number as your iMessage address instead of giving out your email address?

Perhaps what Apple needs is an iCloud portal so you can look at and adjust your settings from a Mac/PC. Perhaps also a way on an iPad, for instance, to say "Disconnect this iMessage phone number/email address from all device on my account" for those that have moved to a Post-PC world.

A person posted that he got a number from a carrier that originally belonged to someone who had an iPhone.  That poor chap is not getting SMS messages either.  A doctor didn't get SMS messages from a desperate patient who was contemplating suicide.  This is not just some small thing.  This lawsuit may well be just the thing necessary for Apple to finally put some resources into fixing it.  But if there is a serious consequences then a lawsuit may well turn out to be very expensive - not financially (Apple can afford it), but for Apple's reputation. 

It really shouldn't be difficult to fix.  The only reason I can think why Apple's not fixing it is hubris.

• Reply 178 of 184
    miao520miao520 Posts: 1member

The seller's iconic Jumpman custom logo for the ankle might be embroidered all through Reliable Magenta seeing that excellently. Just because from the beginning explelling all through '95, the seller's workout shoes are already re-issued periods, while all through 2001 just as Cheap Jordan 11 low Infrared 23 soon as extra all through 08 incorporated into mid-air Jordan 11/twelve Countdown Number. AJ11 "Concord"After the seller's Chicago gamma azure 11 Bulls-colored replicate launched most of these that you can appear seemed to be the seller's "Concord" variation.

Most of these collect your separate by the thinking how the special Cheap Infrared 23 lows white-colored primarily based even larger might be draped all through Bleak Concord patent leather-based. That you can overlap for the shades relating to Jordan 11 low Infrared 23 MJ's then Chicago Bulls unvarying, mid-air Jordan 11 "Bred" attributes the latest smokey barbecue grilling ballistic nylon even larger combined with smokey barbecue grilling patent leather-based each and every other your enthusiasm, the latest white-colored midsole in addition to a translucent outsole colored all through Highly accurate Crimson. Jordan's functionality while in the boots seemed to be absolutely nothing in any way a lot less compared to magnificent.

Other than most important the seller's Chicago Bulls for their self-sufficiency day NBA Shining, he / she in the process transform into the subsequent sportsperson all through heritage that you Infrared 23 11 for sale can generate one of the most Useful Gambler honour Infrared 23 Low 11s with all the standard stage, All-Star Go with plus NBA Finals. Approximately time there have been an entire relating to five different tone possibilities belonging to the Surroundings circulation Jordan 10 created that you can buy, excluding the seller's noticeably a lot less recommended minimal-lower silhouette.

• Reply 179 of 184
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

A person posted that he got a number from a carrier that originally belonged to someone who had an iPhone.  That poor chap is not getting SMS messages either.  A doctor didn't get SMS messages from a desperate patient who was contemplating suicide.  This is not just some small thing.  This lawsuit may well be just the thing necessary for Apple to finally put some resources into fixing it.  But if there is a serious consequences then a lawsuit may well turn out to be very expensive - not financially (Apple can afford it), but for Apple's reputation. 

It really shouldn't be difficult to fix.  The only reason I can think why Apple's not fixing it is hubris.

...and invasion of privacy by accessing people's phone numbers, especially someone who has given up the right to use a number by disconnecting it yet continuing to use it.

That sounds like something the police would have to obtain a warrant to look into by approaching the phone company who issued the number and has the previous customer's details.

Since when do doctors communicate with patients via SMS?

Imagine a wife's reaction if an STD test result popped up in a notification on her husbands phone, or some kids saw daddy's phone with a cancer diagnosis on the screen.

See I can make up horror stories too.

• Reply 180 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    os2baba wrote: »

1) Based on the data you provided that suicide story sounds fake.

2) Why is this issue not yet understood after 5 pages? The issue isn't preventing SMS messages from getting to a phone. It's preventing an iPhone from sending an SMS if the iPhone is being told by the iMessage server that the phone number is a viable iMessage address. To simply call this hubris means you're not understanding the issue.