Google Glass found to cause eye pain in some new users

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
The somewhat awkward positioning of the display in Google's head-worn mobile device dubbed Glass has been shown to cause eye muscle fatigue and headaches in some early adopters, leading at least one evangelist to suggest that the product should come with a warning label.

Much of the problem stems from users who are unaccustomed to looking upward for long periods of time, Harvard optometrist Dr. Eli Peli told BetaBeat. Google brought Dr. Peli in as a consultant when issues began to arise.

"The only people who look up a lot are some professionals like electricians and painters," Dr. Peli said. "Most of us look either straight or down. It's well known that up is less comfortable."

"It's not a headache, it's sort of a discomfort in the eye muscles," he added. "To describe it as a headache is inconsistent with how people experience headaches."

Both Dr. Peli and Google suggest that pain can be alleviated by using Glass for shorter periods of time, especially in the beginning before users' eyes have had a chance to adjust to looking repeatedly in Glass's direction. Google likened it to the adjustment period that many people experience with a new pair of prescription eyeglasses and said that the eyewear was "designed for micro-interactions, not for staring into the screen, watching Friday night movie marathons or reading 'War and Peace.'"

As noted by BetaBeat, early Glass evangelist Chris Barrett told CNET that he believes "there should be a warning that comes with Glass; that if you start to get a headache, you should limit your use." Barrett has since abandoned Glass due to the pain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    "Doctor, it hurts when I press there."

"Then don't press there."
  • Reply 2 of 59
    I've never worn one, but my eyes hurt when I look at it. Must have area damage.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Eric Schmidt: You’re wearing it wrong.

• Reply 4 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's probably just a tumor pressing on the optic nerve above the eyes… which also explains the lack the of cognitive thinking that caused them to pay $1500 for the device in the first place.

PS: Apple gets a lot of guff because their BoM is about half of what they charge for their device but according to this recent article the Google Glass BoM is only $79 to $150 despite the $1500 price tag. Note: This doesn't validate any of these wild guesstimates or narrow cost view of the BoM but I'm curious to see if these reports will make as people made as when BoMs for Apple products are released. I'm guessing that won't happen.

[LIST]
    [*] http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/14/google-glass-price_n_5322986.html
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 5 of 59
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member

That's weird. Because when I see other people wearing that thing, it's a pain in my ass.

• Reply 6 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Amazing that even 3 years after its beta unveiling, Google Glass still looks EXACTLY the same- they havent been able to make it any smaller or more svelte. Still looks like a fucking abomination, still extremely limited, and now they quietly just released it to the market at the exact same $1,500 price. The Glass still has the same shitload of technology, privacy, social, and privacy issues since day 1. Nothing has been addressed.

Incredible how much positive press Google got over the glass, which almost single-handedly led the narrative of "Google innovates and Apple doesn't", and sparked tens of thousands of articles and blog posts the past couple years. Yet, its obvious Glass is and will be a complete market failure- Gogle isnt even bothering to advertise it in any capacity anymore. But thats fine, right? Google will get no flack over that- the important thing is the build up, the hype, all the evangelizers. This thing wont even make a blip in the market, when all is said and done. Its ok- now Google can move on to their next pie-in-the-sky product that tech blogs can salivate about in order to bash Apple, then promptly forget about.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    It's the new omni-grab!!! (watch The Jerk if you don't get it)
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Amazing that even 3 years after its beta unveiling, Google Glass still looks EXACTLY the same- they havent been able to make it any smaller or more svelte. Still looks like a fucking abomination, still extremely limited, and now they quietly just released it to the market at the exact same $1,500 price. The Glass still has the same shitload of technology, privacy, social, and privacy issues since day 1. Nothing has been addressed.

Incredible how much positive press Google got over the glass, which almost single-handedly led the narrative of "Google innovates and Apple doesn't", and sparked tens of thousands of articles and blog posts the past couple years. Yet, its obvious Glass is and will be a complete market failure- Gogle isnt even bothering to advertise it in any capacity anymore. But thats fine, right? Google will get no flack over that- the important thing is the build up, the hype, all the evangelizers. This thing wont even make a blip in the market, when all is said and done. Its ok- now Google can move on to their next pie-in-the-sky product that tech blogs can salivate about in order to bash Apple, then promptly forget about.

Don't forget it was also unveiled with a super gimmicky parachute PR stunt.  You'd think they back that up.

• Reply 9 of 59
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member

I really feel that the warning label should also say that you look like a fool also?

• Reply 10 of 59

One guy realized that he didn't need the headache or the Glassholery:

Quote:

It will be harder, however, for Google to address Barrett's other concern with Glass. Having severely limited his usage, he's finding that he neither misses the device, nor sees a compelling continued use for it.

He told me: "I have it on my desk every day, but I just don't have a good enough reason to wear it. It's not worth the headache. I get my e-mails on my laptop or iPhone if I'm on the go."

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-glass-enthusiast-its-not-worth-the-headaches/

• Reply 11 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by philtuttle View Post

Waiting for the first class action lawsuit to be filed for eye pain or damage. It WILL happen.

• Reply 12 of 59
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by philtuttle View Post

You beat me to it.

• Reply 13 of 59
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I personally don't want anything in the layer between myself and the world via the primary way I experience the world, through my eyes.

I would rather interact with an object, even if the object were a simulated one.

My son has friend who wears those douche-identifying Glasses, and his eyes do not focus properly when he takes them off.  One eye continues to scroll up and move independently of the other.  The Glasses literally have deformed the kids eyes.

Maybe if you stop using the Glasses, the damage reverses.  But clearly people are made to interact with objects not to alter the way their eyes work. 

• Reply 14 of 59
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Don't forget it was also unveiled with a super gimmicky parachute PR stunt.  You'd think they back that up.

Don't forget the strange area 51 mysterious barges they constructed as Glass Stores that lacked proper permitting....
  • Reply 15 of 59
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    An evangelist named Christ?
  • Reply 16 of 59
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Just when you think you can have [URL=http://mashable.com/2014/01/21/sex-with-glass/]Sex with Glass[/URL]

Of course this will give you a headache.

[I]When you ask for directions, Glass first confirms the address:
    [/I][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/43427/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

[I]Navigation in 2D gives you a bird's-eye view of the map:
    [/I][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/43429/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

[I]Error messages are very clear:
    [/I][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/43430/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

source: mashable.com
  • Reply 17 of 59
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's probably just a tumor pressing on the optic nerve above the eyes… which also explains the lack the of cognitive thinking that caused them to pay $1500 for the device in the first place.

PS: Apple gets a lot of guff because their BoM is about half of what they charge for their device but according to this recent article the Google Glass BoM is only $79 to $150 despite the $1500 price tag. Note: This doesn't validate any of these wild guesstimates or narrow cost view of the BoM but I'm curious to see if these reports will make as people made as when BoMs for Apple products are released. I'm guessing that won't happen.

I've seen Apple end up on the wrong side of a double standard enough number of times to stop holding my breath for Apple to get a fair shake in the press.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

People have a short memory. Google's handling of Glass is nothing new. That's the way Google has been doing things for years.

• Reply 18 of 59
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Waiting for the first class action lawsuit to be filed for eye pain or damage. It WILL happen.

You mean glass action lawsuit...
  • Reply 19 of 59
    I heard of Google Glass when they were used to film a domestic violence awareness ad, but I had never actually seen them until I read this article. They look ridiculous! You'd think for $1,500 a pair they'd have invested in the style of them. It's akin to something my seven year old son would wear while pretending to be a spy... In fact, Spy Geeks has a pair of sunglasses with an embedded video camera that are more sleek than these things!
  • Reply 20 of 59
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I think the eye pain is caused by Glassholes being punched in the face for wearing the dumb things in public.