Microsoft unveils $799 Surface Pro 3, calls it 'the tablet that can replace your laptop'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 185
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    knowitall wrote: »
    It seems MS listened to its future customers.
    Smart move, maybe the software is on par also.
    Currently iOS is far too restricted in its use and this gives MS and possibly others a big window of opportunity.

Edit: I see one big min already, the screen looks plastic.

Haha. The iPad has been out since 2010. There's always an opportunity but no one is buying that tripe.
  • Reply 62 of 185
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I have to admit though, the full adjustable kickstand does look cool. 

That might be because it needs all the support it can get, from any angle.
  • Reply 63 of 185
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Problem is...it still runs Windows and specifically Windows 8 which isn't a very popular OS, even on a tablet. 

• Reply 64 of 185
    yodamacyodamac Posts: 59member

What's a Zune?...

• Reply 65 of 185
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    ripragged wrote: »
    It's runs Windows. Windows is dead. I expect to see as many of these in the wild as I did Zunes.

Not so sure ...

For example, when Apple screwed up the initial release of FCPX -- it caused quite a few film editors to migrate from FCP to Adobe Premiere (runs on both OSX and Windows).

Many editors will take a MacBookAir or a MacBookPro on-site so they can ingest, log and begin editing. With the Surface Pro 3, you can do this, now, on-site with a kb and Adobe Premiere.

The Adobe preso was for Photoshop which was updated to work without a KB. The Adobe rep alluded to other Adobe products coming for the Surface Pro 3.

If Adobe updates Premiere for tablet use on the Surface Pro 3 then the on-site editor, would be able to move around, holding the tablet in one hand ...

This is a very desirable capability for many video edit use cases:
    • live performance/music events
    • weddings
    • reality shows
    • sports events

There are other pc/tablet activities where dual-usability has advantages.

As of today, developers can only develop dual-useability apps for the Surface Pro 3 (or similar MS OEM devices).

If, as I suspect, Apple releases a 12" iPad Pro -- I hope that it will provide similar capabilities -- it will be interesting to see if it is accomplished with an ARM or an Intel APU.

I hope that Apple was not blind-sided by this announcement ... I certainly was!
  • Reply 66 of 185
    flwestflwest Posts: 3member
    This just shows how after over a decade MS can't understand why they can't sell tablets. Here is what they need instead of a big screen, pin, and kickstand.

A cover that does not flop around when picked up. One that can stay closed.

A option for a cell connection so you can have GPS and Internet when out of Wy-Fi range.

A understanding that tablets are to do work that laptops can't. If you spend most of your time at a desk than you don't need a tablet to do your job. A tablet is for people who do real work on the road, in the sunshine, and on their feet.

One that your not afraid to drop on something other than carpet.

One that only has ports you need everyday so it is easier to hold all day.

Maybe they should look at Apple's ads to see what people are doing with their iPads.
  • Reply 67 of 185
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Nice improvement but the main presenter came across so douchie. His speak would have been better for a late night infomercial convincing the sleep deprived elderly to part with their money.

I agree about the tablet. I totally agree about about the presenter -- his verbosity was only exceeded by his insincerity!
  • Reply 68 of 185
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Very impressive.

Check out full video of event here (skip to 6:30)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/may14/05-20webcast.aspx

:)

As impressive as a turd.

• Reply 69 of 185
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You should have stopped with "its cheap". People purchase cheap shit, but that doesnt mean they like the product. Also, people are not buying "Android". They're buying an X phone, which just happens to have Android installed by default, because its installed on almost every phone that isn't an iPhone. 99% of people who buy Android phones are not buying it because of the OS. 

Yeah, and they have an inferior user experience. You're right, the vast majority of Android users I have seen love it, for example, because of the "big screen" - features that have nothing to do with the OS. Most Android users also don't care about the UX either, which kills me. Guess that's why I use Apple to begin with, among other reasons.

• Reply 70 of 185

Could you imagine being a designer/engineer and walking into Steve Jobs' office with that piece of clickity-clackity crap? :)

Here ya' go:

• Reply 71 of 185
    undefined
  • Reply 72 of 185

Not the time for Apple to become complacent. These devices will sneak up on and surpass tablets very quickly.

• Reply 73 of 185
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Terrible concept.

If I want a laptop, I'll use my Macbook.

If I want a tablet, I'll use my iPad.

The MS device fails at being a better tablet than an iPad, and it fails at being a better laptop than a Macbook, therefore it is useless.

I think that it's a mistake to try and combine two different categories of devices into one, when the combined result is bad.

• Reply 74 of 185
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Excuse me! Gutter/clicko/liars blog press, but where are all the cries of lack of innovation, MS is doomed. Oh that's - right Microsoft is NOT expected to actually makes something new. This is simply a drop in price disguised as a new tablet and a friction doohickey to make it look like innovation. Remember the previously overpriced model was stinking the place up so they had to do something to gain traction. Too little and way too late as usual for Microsoft. Microsoft is even more irrelevant than ever. In order to compete it would have to be start selling scarface at $499 and be as light as an iPad. massive fail! MS is trying to get it faithful to buy it, but I don't see it myself as stated in other posts. Anyhow I thought Microsoft was a software company. Its lost its identity!
  • Reply 75 of 185
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A visual catastrophe.

Thanks for the picture it loos to me like a deck chair in a art studio, all glitz, little functionality, which is very ironic since MS has been one of the loudest critics of Apple calling their products toys/no meat etc. Is that why its called a surface because its so superficial?

• Reply 76 of 185
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Not the time for Apple to become complacent. These devices will sneak up on and surpass tablets very quickly.

Right, a tablet will surface tablets very quickly. Makes perfect sense¡
  • Reply 77 of 185

Microsoft will continue down this path until it is successful, even if they have to include a surface upon which the surface can rest so it can actually be used in your lap. It will slide out from under the keyboard (when desired) and give a place for the kickstand to rest. You can have this idea for free Microsoft.

• Reply 78 of 185
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Is there a huge demand for three wheeled vehicles?

Tablets are like motorcycles (2 wheels), and laptops are like cars (four wheels).

What MS has done is blended both and come up with a three wheeled vehicle, that's neither better than a motorcycle or a car, and how many three wheeled vehicles do you see on the road?

• Reply 79 of 185
    remereme Posts: 74member
    any comment on run time? These things need to run for at least 8 hours, preferably 10!
  • Reply 80 of 185
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Terrible concept.

If I want a laptop, I'll use my Macbook.

If I want a tablet, I'll use my iPad.

The MS device fails at being a better tablet than an iPad, and it fails at being a better laptop than a Macbook, therefore it is useless.

I think that it's a mistake to try and combine two different categories of devices into one, when the combined result is bad.

I have to disagree! A lot of creatives will be drawn to using Photoshop with a direct on-the-display stylus interaction,

Can't do that on either an Apple Laptop or an Apple Tablet.

I also expect to see CAD and Drafting apps developed to take advantage of this capability!