WaterField Designs' Mac Pro Go Case keeps Apple's desktop safe during transport

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited May 2014
With the concerted effort Apple put into redesigning its flagship Mac Pro desktop, the company was able to shrink chassis size substantially compared previous designs. WaterField Designs is taking advantage of the hard work in a new case made to transport the powerful machine into the field.

The Mac Pro Go Case holds nearly everything on-the-go professionals need to transport and operate a Mac Pro in the field, including a pocket for a full-size keyboard, a sack for the power cable and a mouse and extra space for other peripherals.

Standing 9.9 inches tall and weighing in at 11 pounds, the Mac Pro crams a boatload of power into an extremely small package. This miniaturization has facilitated a variety of new applications for the professional-level machine, including in-the-field assignments once limited to Apple's range of MacBooks.

With a shiny aluminum sheathing that also helps channel air to critical components, owners want to keep the casing as dent-free as possible. To that end, the Mac Pro Go Case features internal padding and a plush liner to protect against bumps and scratches. A velcro closure is used to seal up the case instead of a metal zipper.

At the bottom of the carrier is a plastic plate to protect the Mac Pro's base and fan intake, while a removable disc-shaped soft pouch sits on top of the computer and holds cables and accessories. Extra space above the disc allows for extra cable storage.

Outside, the case is skinned in ballistic nylon and features a scratch-free keyboard pocket. Two loops at the bottom help users pull the Mac Pro out of its cocoon and a detachable shoulder strap is included.

The WaterField Mac Pro Go Case is available now for $129 from the company's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Very nice. Apple never really played up the portability of the Mac Pro as a transportable "workstation" for heavy duty creative projects.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    I used WaterField's PSP case for years. They make nice stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Alls we need now is a 4k monitor that rolls up into a tube.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Apple never really played up the portability of the Mac Pro as a transportable "workstation" for heavy duty creative projects.

But others sure did!

• Reply 5 of 16
    @suddenly newton Apple did make it quite clear that the top rim is purposely designed as a handle for portability at launch an in its press kit.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    imagladryimagladry Posts: 105member
    Reminds me a bit of the bag I had to carry around my SE-30.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imagladry View Post

Reminds me a bit of the bag I had to carry around my SE-30.

I used to carry my MacPlus wrapped in a towel and stuffed in a backpack.  Ahh, portable computers at their best!

This new case is already sold out!

• Reply 8 of 16
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

All I want is a silver thermos flask shaped mac mini that would fit in my bag.

I foresee a brighter future for the mac pro and mac mini than the iMac. iFixit would agree with me on this. Both on reparability as sustainability. You keep the screen and just change the brain/computer if your mac dies.

It would be awesome if Apple springs a surprise in June. After all, it is the anniversary year of the mac this year, isn't it?

• Reply 9 of 16
    I would not caled that a fullsize keyboard.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diggydobby View Post

I would not caled that a fullsize keyboard.

I believe the term generally applies to a keyboard with traditionally sized and spaced primary keys, not necessarily one with separate numeric keypad...

• Reply 11 of 16
    zoidbertzoidbert Posts: 15member
    I had an iMac as my workhorse and used an iLugger for years. Thinking this, in combo with a small display, might mean I can move up from my MacBook Pro. I *rarely* need to be on-the-go with my MBP -- maybe twice a year -- but that twice a year is critical. The iMac was portable but not idea. This, coupled with a 19 or 23 inch display, might be the ticket.

(I never really explored the Mac mini as an option b'c I needed more graphics power than it offered.)
  • Reply 12 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I found this one in the attic and it works great!

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/43482/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 13 of 16
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I foresee a brighter future for the mac pro and mac mini than the iMac. iFixit would agree with me on this. Both on reparability as sustainability. You keep the screen and just change the brain/computer if your mac dies.

You mean like how computers have worked for the last, oh, 30 years?

• Reply 14 of 16
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member

That's an awesome case.

• Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Alls we need now is a 4k monitor that rolls up into a tube.

You mean we need a 4K monitor that folds into a bag to transport the MacPro in? ;) Beter yet, that monitor could integrate true LTE and offer to connect you to your hard drives at home at 100gbps (LTE speed when unlimited)

• Reply 16 of 16
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Very nice. Apple never really played up the portability of the Mac Pro as a transportable "workstation" for heavy duty creative projects.

This happened with the old mac pro too, although the most recent notebooks actually have the bandwidth for a lot of those things if they can be made to work over thunderbolt. It's a very small niche, but these are the obvious choice if you still need to haul a complete workstation to a given set. It also means lower baggage costs during transportation.