Google admits it may place ads on thermostats, glasses, car dashboards & refrigerators

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Almost any display, from the wrist to the wall, could be fair game for Google to send advertisements, the company has admitted in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, going as far as to say that even refrigerators could one day serve Google AdSense to their users.

The Electrolux Screenfridge.

Google's list of potential new advertising opportunities was detailed in a letter to the SEC in December, in which the search giant attempted to justify why it shouldn't disclose revenue generated from mobile devices. The SEC has requested that Google and other mobile companies, including Facebook and Twitter, offer investors more detail on their mobile revenue, according to The Wall Street Journal.

But Google doesn't believe it should be obligated to disclose that data, as the company noted that its services -- including advertisements --?could appear on a "wide diversity of devices in the future."

In addition to refrigerators, Google said it could also serve up ads on car dashboards, thermostats, glasses and watches, "just to name a few possibilities."

"Our expectation is that users will be using our services and viewing our ads on an increasingly wide diversity of devices in the future, and thus our advertising systems are becoming increasingly device-agnostic," the filing reads.

Android Wear concept
Motorola's Moto 360 Andoid Wear-powered smart watch | Source: Google

The mention of thermostats is of particular interest, as Google bought Nest Labs, maker of a smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion earlier this year. Nest was founded by ex-Apple executive Tony Fadell, and the company's products were featured prominently in Apple's own retail stores prior to the Google acquisition.

The mention of glasses and watches is no surprise, as Google is betting heavily on the future of wearable devices, through both its Google Glass project, as well as its forthcoming Android Wear platform. And Google is even dabbling in self-driving cars, which would explain the mention of vehicle dashboards.

Perhaps the most bizarre mention, then, is of a so-called "Google Refrigerator," signaling that the company may be looking to go well beyond the thermostat in building a connected home with advanced appliances.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Didn't we all see this coming. This alone will kill sales of these devices. As cool as something like the Nest Thermostat is, I don't believe people will want a Google Ad on their thermostat and I doubt most would pay extra to not have ads. This is something that shouldn't have ads in the first place. Nest killed shot themselves in the foot as soon as they partnered with Google. 

I don't need a Kraft Mac n Cheese ad running on the fridge when I go to open it. My kitchen isn't a friggin' Wal-mart. I don't need to be persuaded to purchase something every time I open the refrigerator door. 

There are places for ads to be and wearable devices, appliances, and cars are not it. Google is throwing mud at the wall with all of this with hopes that something sticks. 

• Reply 2 of 127
    And the geek filth legion will bend over backward defending their deity.

Meanwhile, Google's core product, Internet search, has become useless. Seriously, it's substituting words nowhere near what I entered.
  • Reply 3 of 127
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    The "Google Refrigerator" concept isn't surprising at all if one considers the number of individual uses/interactions one has with the appliance in any day.

Whereas a television or computer may get more total hours of viewing time, the number of discrete views of a refrigerator is far greater, and goes up with the number of inhabitants in the dwelling.

As a matter of fact, in many households the refrigerator features messages, reminders, and the kids' art gallery.

Completely unsurprising, I don't understand why AppleInsider sees this as bizarre.

Google's core product is AdWords, >90% of their revenue comes from AdWords. That's what they sell.
  • Reply 4 of 127
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    No thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 127
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    LOL, Three Nest Thermostats for sale!
  • Reply 6 of 127
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Google's new corporate tagline:  To Serve Man... Ads!

• Reply 7 of 127
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Google doesn't say that advertising will appear on these other systems. They use the possibility as an argument against splitting out mobile revenue specifically since thermostats, refrigerators and the like wouldn't fit that category. In other words there could be more than two categories, mobile and desktop, at some future point and starting to define revenue by specific source now could become problematic from both an investor and competitive angle.

If consumers reject ads on refrigerators and such then I wouldn't expect them to be promoted. Kinda against the point of advertising if it's a turn-off isn't it?
  • Reply 8 of 127
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And this morning CNBC is hyping Google amassing an overseas war chest to go on a global spending spree. No mention though of how Google wants to throw advertising on anything and everything. Thankfully I don't have to buy any Google products and have ads shoved in my face 24/7.
  • Reply 9 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...going as far as to say that even refrigerators could one day serve Google AdSense to their users.

In addition to refrigerators, Google said it could also serve up ads on car dashboards, thermostats, glasses and watches, "just to name a few possibilities."

I think people are misunderstanding what they are saying here. AdSense works like this: You have a website, you let Google have some space on your page where they place relevant ads, you get paid. I know this because I've been doing it for years. The only way you are going to see AdSense ads on your refrigerator is if it has a browser and you surf the web to some page that has Google AdSense running on it. The ads do not live on the refrigerator unless your refrigerator is also a web server in which case you wouldn't see them, you would just get paid. 

• Reply 10 of 127
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    "Great, more ads" - said no one.
  • Reply 11 of 127
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xZu View Post

LOL, Three Nest Thermostats for sale!

Exactly.

The second I see an ad on my Nest, it is coming off the wall.

• Reply 12 of 127
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Samsung should advertise on toilet paper.

[I'm sure it would sell well to quite a few AI members]

• Reply 13 of 127
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    0119-androidwear-1.jpg

Maybe it's just me but I think this watch is ugly. Especially the black bar at the bottom. Seems to me these round displays are all about form over function. Hey, if we make it look like a traditional watch maybe someone will buy it. :lol:
  • Reply 14 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Samsung should advertise on toilet paper.

[I'm sure it would sell well to quite a few AI members]

They would certainly wipe out the competition.

• Reply 15 of 127
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Google. Nagging you from dawn to dusk, anywhere, anytime. Resistance is futile.
  • Reply 16 of 127
    lawrancelawrance Posts: 86member
    The more Google does... The less I like them.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,249member
    mstone wrote: »
    I think people are misunderstanding what they are saying here. AdSense works like this: You have a website, you let Google have some space on your page where they place relevant ads, you get paid. I know this because I've been doing it for years. The only way you are going to see AdSense ads on your refrigerator is if it has a browser and you surf the web to some page that has Google AdSense running on it. The ads do not live on the refrigerator unless your refrigerator is also a web server in which case you wouldn't see them, you would just get paid. 

Not necessarily. The Nest has a display and an Internet connection. Google could push ads to the display any time they wanted to. The iOS Nest app could have pop up ads just like nearly every app. Anything with a display is free game to google.
  • Reply 18 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Not necessarily. The Nest has a display and an Internet connection. Google could push ads to the display any time they wanted to. The iOS Nest app could have pop up ads just like nearly every app. Anything with a display is free game to google.

Then it wouldn't be AdSense as the article claims. In the first fake image the refrigerator is showing Google search results with AdWords not AdSense. Just more AI hype.

• Reply 19 of 127
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google doesn't say that advertising will appear on these other systems. They use the possibility as an argument against splitting out mobile revenue specifically since thermostats, refrigerators and the like wouldn't fit that category. In other words there could be more than two categories, mobile and desktop, at some future point and starting to define revenue by specific source now could become problematic from both an investor and competitive angle.

If consumers reject ads on refrigerators and such then I wouldn't expect them to be promoted. Kinda against the point of advertising if it's a turn-off isn't it?

They should just create a new category for the Internet of Things and move all of their revenue there. ;)

• Reply 20 of 127
    I think I'm glad I'm old and will die in the not too distant future

Ads on every surface you look at? The thought is enough to make one throw up.