Microsoft unveils $799 Surface Pro 3, calls it 'the tablet that can replace your laptop'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 185
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    leighr wrote: »
    It has a fan. LOL.

Well, they had to put one in. In the real world, there is none to be found.
  • Reply 142 of 185
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I get your point. I'm sure you also got MINE, which was that the Surface has more power and real estate than other tablets.

Does it really have more power? On paper, sure, it's a Core v ARM, but the OS and apps use a good deal of that before the user can do what they want.
  • Reply 143 of 185
    Remember that old rumour about Preview coming to the next version of iOS. I didn't think it made a lot of sense at the time but if Apple adds a digitizer to the next iPad it would make a lot more sense as the annotation options become more usable with a stylus. Add tot hat a new frameworks and APIs it could make that a killer feature.
  • Reply 144 of 185
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by appleempl View Post

I sure wish Apple would put an SD card slot in the iPads.

Why?

• Reply 145 of 185
    I'm pretty sure WWDC in 12 days will bring a very good response to this product. At least I really hope so, because i'd love to switch to iMac [whatever Apple responds to surface with], instead of MacBook Pro iPad. I could use the iMacs power, but I need a Notebook on the go and I use my iPad to draw, take notes etc.
  • Reply 146 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why?

because he hasn't got the SD adapter that sells for 29 bucks

• Reply 147 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

Different use boils down to different input.

In the field a separate keyboard is unusable most of the time, so you have to rely on touch and so your apps and OS must be good at that.

MS problem is that they try to support conflicting input methods like touch and mouse at the same time, and fail to see that only one at the time is valid and its even better to have only one.

I cannot even imaging being able to balance the kickstand, front edge of the SP3, and front edge of the keyboard on my lap, in an effort to replace a MBA. And there would *still* be no mouse or trackpad, which is second nature to me when using a keyboard. Having to reach up to touch the screen would be possible, but a very awkward motion.  But mainly, my legs just are not long enough nor steady enough to balance all that equipment, and still hope to be productive.  And if I'm going to be using a desk, then I don't need the cramped arrangement either.  So the SP3 is a complete fail for me, in that regard. Gimme an iPad and an iMac (or MBA, if I'm going to be taking notes and working on my lap).

• Reply 148 of 185
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Does it really have more power? On paper, sure, it's a Core v ARM, but the OS and apps use a good deal of that before the user can do what they want.

LOL... Can you run VS2012 and SQL Server 2012 on your ipad?  No?  I can (and do) run them just fine on my Surface Pro - and that's the first gen with the i5.

• Reply 149 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I cannot even imaging being able to balance the kickstand, front edge of the SP3, and front edge of the keyboard on my lap, in an effort to replace a MBA. And there would *still* be no mouse or trackpad, which is second nature to me when using a keyboard. Having to reach up to touch the screen would be possible, but a very awkward motion.  But mainly, my legs just are not long enough nor steady enough to balance all that equipment, and still hope to be productive.  And if I'm going to be using a desk, then I don't need the cramped arrangement either.  So the SP3 is a complete fail for me, in that regard. Gimme an iPad and an iMac (or MBA, if I'm going to be taking notes and working on my lap).

The surface keyboards all have trackpads.  I'm not sure where you got the idea that they didn't?  They even made improvements on the type cover for the SP3. 

As for the ergonomics of touch on a laptop, from my experience you are wrong.  The motion of reaching forward to touch is actually very natural.  More so, than reaching backwards for a trackpad or sideways for a mouse.  On a desktop, I agree with you - the screen is generally to far a way on a desktop.  But, on a laptop or small device like the surface, the screen is close.  It's actually sort of funny to watch my wife occasionally use someone else's non-touch device - touch has become so second nature that she often will reach and touch the screen and then take a few seconds to realize why nothing happened :)

• Reply 150 of 185
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by unknwntrr View Post

because he hasn't got the SD adapter that sells for 29 bucks

I think the question is related to why would you need an SD adapter in the first place? I.e. what possible need do you have for such an archaic thing?

• Reply 151 of 185
    gumbi wrote: »

LOL... Can you run VS2012 and SQL Server 2012 on your ipad?  No?  I can (and do) run them just fine on my Surface Pro - and that's the first gen with the i5.

1) SQL Server runs on ARM?

2) What sense does it make to run a server on a confused tablet? You can make the MBA — a comparable example — a server but why would you? This is no different than people running Adobe apps on a netbooks. Sure, it's technically possible but you look foolish when you use it as a talking point.
  • Reply 152 of 185
    Quote:

2) What sense does it make to run a server on a confused tablet? You can make the MBA — a comparable example — a server but why would you? This is no different than people running Adobe apps on a netbooks. Sure, it's technically possible but you look foolish when you use it as a talking point.

1)  Of course not - but, you were asking if the surface was really more powerful.  The answer is absolutely yes - the iPad has a great ARM processor - but, it is not comparable to a core i5 in computational power.

2) I'm a developer.  Visual Studio and SQL Server are some of the tools of my trade.  Having them available on my Surface, lets me do a little bit of work when I'm out and about.  For me, the surface can and does act as a laptop replacement and a tablet replacement. 

All, I can say is I'm glad my plans to get the Pro 2 got derailed - since, the Pro 3 is much more to my liking.  The bigger screen will make a huge difference to me. 

• Reply 153 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

The surface keyboards all have trackpads.  I'm not sure where you got the idea that they didn't?  They even made improvements on the type cover for the SP3. 

I was just looking at the picture, and a trackpad didn't register.  I have only ever seen one Surface "in the wild" and it did not have a keyboard, so I've never seen or touched the keyboard.  (But I see MBA's and iPads all over town.)  Upon re-inspection of the photo, I do now see what is probably the trackpad--previously I just saw a large blue bezel.  So I'll rescind my objection about lack of trackpad.  I still cannot imagine using the whole cantilevered arrangement in my smallish lap, though.  But I'm trying to envision using one, so give me credit for keeping an open mind!

• Reply 154 of 185
    1)  Of course not - but, you were asking if the surface was really more powerful.  The answer is absolutely yes - the iPad has a great ARM processor - but, it is not comparable to a core i5 in computational power.

2) I'm a developer.  Visual Studio and SQL Server are some of the tools of my trade.  Having them available on my Surface, lets me do a little bit of work when I'm out and about.  For me, the surface can and does act as a laptop replacement and a tablet replacement. 

All, I can say is I'm glad my plans to get the Pro 2 got derailed - since, the Pro 3 is much more to my liking.  The bigger screen will make a huge difference to me. 

1) I clearly asked about usability since iOS is much more efficient of an OS as well as being deigned for the HW just as their apps are more efficient and designed for the HW, which is not the case with Windows or its apps. Using SQL Server not only makes no sense in that discussion but hurts any argument you may have. It's like saying I can run Xcode on an 11" MBA with a Core-i5 processor. It's technically accurate but it's a horrible experience.

2) You're a developer that uses Visual Studio so neither iOS nor Mac OS X would work for you so, again, even considering an iPad makes zero sense for this false comparison. No one is saying that weird use case isn't valid, but don't try to make a case that this is some norm and that Apple doesn't "get it" for not supporting Visual Studio on the iPad.

3) Not only a bigger screen but a better aspect ratio for this type of device, but for this to be a market success we'll need to see giving up their tablets and notebooks in order to go all in with this device that is neither a good tablet or good notebook. There is no evidence to support that and it will likely never happen no matter how the HW evolves to allow MS to make a great device in terms of HW if it still has the bloated, inefficient Windows OS and apps for it. It's still not a good experience for a tablet and the HW isn't a good experience as a notebook replacement.
  • Reply 155 of 185
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    nobodyy wrote: »
    Ugh, back in with the fans. 

Not that I would instantly hate it - A<span style="line-height:1.4em;">ssuming that it is silent and doesn't rock the device itself. But it does mean moving pars and a higher chance of issues and failure, especially on a device with no seated orientation (but maybe so with Windows?) - something I am very happy Apple eliminated from their tablets.</span>

Fans = power consumption.
  • Reply 156 of 185
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Wait 'til they come out with Xcode for iPad.

Running that in the 11-12" iPad model that throws it's screen to the 40" Sharp should be interesting...
  • Reply 157 of 185
    vaporland wrote: »
    Wait 'til they come out with Xcode for iPad.

Running that in the 11-12" iPad model that throws it's screen to the 40" Sharp should be interesting...

But it won't be Visual Studio so the iPad will still be a "toy" that isn't fit for "real" users.
  • Reply 158 of 185
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member
    Quote:

But it won't be Visual Studio so the iPad will still be a "toy" that isn't fit for "real" users.

And the Apple camp will just keep saying that everything MS does is crap that's stuck in the 90s. It's an endless cycle of hate.

• Reply 159 of 185
    ezhik wrote: »
    And the Apple camp will just keep saying that everything MS does is crap that's stuck in the 90s. It's an endless cycle of hate.

What camp does that make me when I say MS's developer documentation is as far from Apple's as Apple's is from Android's?
  • Reply 160 of 185
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member
    Quote:

What camp does that make me when I say MS's developer documentation is as far from Apple's as Apple's is from Android's?

No idea. People should pick their own camps! Best one is the "all-platforms-have-their-ups-and-downs-and-people-should-use-what-they-like" camp.