Apple granted license to sell and market products, conduct research in Saudi Arabia

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
According to a report on Wednesday, Apple has been granted a license to operate retail, marketing and research operations in Saudi Arabia, giving the company first-time access to the region.



Citing a source within the Saudi Arabia's General Investment Authority (SAGIA), Saudi Arabian newspaper Al Eqtisadiah (roughly translated as The Economy) reports Apple will operate under the name "Apple of Saudi Arabia."

Under the license, Apple will be able to conduct product maintenance and marketing activities, conduct training and work to develop the region's IT, computer and smart device industry, the source said.

SAGIA's decision to give Apple the green light is part of a new strategy targeting foreign investment and business entities that represent possible value to Saudi Arabia's economy, which has a unique investment environment when it comes to foreign entities.

According to a translated version of the report, the person said, "The strategy of investing in the Kingdom to establish a strong economy [is] characterized by openness and flexibility and giving the private sector in the Kingdom -- both domestic and foreign -- all the opportunities and facilities [needed] to enhance its role and its contribution to the GDP."

With booming sales and successful products like the iPhone, Apple was apparently a top contender for the new program. The company already operates research and development facilities in Israel after purchasing flash memory firm Anobit in 2012.

So far, Apple's Israel-based research labs have produced a number of patents relating to memory and system-on-chip technology. It is unclear if "Apple of Saudi Arabia" will focus on the same R&D tasks or will merely maintain retail stores and accompanying support infrastructure.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,428member
    Will female Apple staff be able to drive a car?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    What's that green apple logo with the crazy writing and sword in it? Is that Apple's logo in Saudi Arabia? :err:

  • Reply 3 of 29
    apple ][ wrote: »
    What's that green apple logo with the crazy writing and sword in it? Is that Apple's logo in Saudi Arabia? :err:

    That is the flag of Saudi Arabia. No different than showing an American or Canadian flag in the shape of Apple's logo.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,330member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    What's that green apple logo with the crazy writing and sword in it? Is that Apple's logo in Saudi Arabia? :err:

    That "crazy writing" is called Arabic. And that's the Saudi flag. Not that confusing.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    jamesmcdjamesmcd Posts: 68member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    What's that green apple logo with the crazy writing and sword in it? Is that Apple's logo in Saudi Arabia? :err:


    As said by others, it's their flag. The sword is there because they like to behead people (usually foreign low-wage workers) in public. 

  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post



    Will female Apple staff be able to drive a car?

    Stepping in a Google car should do the job...8-)

  • Reply 7 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post





    That "crazy writing" is called Arabic. And that's the Saudi flag. Not that confusing.

    Yes, I am aware of that.

     

    I was just wondering if it was an official Apple logo in that country, or if it was just some image that was grabbed to put into this story.

  • Reply 8 of 29
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member
    This is good news. Apple marketing the Gulf is limited to 3rd party retailers and most of them are carriers and small shops.
    Will female Apple staff be able to drive a car?

    It is inevitable that women will drive in Saudi Arabia. Within King Abdullah University women are not required to wear head covering and are allowed to drive.King Abdullah University
  • Reply 9 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

     

    The sword is there because they like to behead people (usually foreign low-wage workers) in public. 


     

    I think that Apple should appoint a woman who also happens to be a lesbian and jewish to be the Apple representative in that country.

  • Reply 10 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,428member
    nasserae wrote: »
    This is good news. Apple marketing the Gulf is limited to 3rd party retailers and most of them are carriers and small shops.
    It is inevitable that women will drive in Saudi Arabia. Within King Abdullah University women are not required to wear head covering and are allowed to drive.King Abdullah University

    Wow that's great news, those lucky women within King Abdullah University are treated like normal human beings.

    Sorry, for the sarcasm, I know you were trying to answer correctly in the context of my question. I just get hot under the collar the way women are treated in this and similar countries in the region. It is a backward place and part of me would prefer Apple tell them to take their oil money and shove it. But then again, perhaps Apple can help educate the rulers of that country to enter the 21st century.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,428member
    Stepping in a Google car should do the job...8-)

    Joking apart, I seriously doubt that. They would need a male chaperone along as well no doubt. This is a place stuck in some weird middle ages time warp remember.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,428member
    That is the flag of Saudi Arabia. No different than showing an American or Canadian flag in the shape of Apple's logo.

    It is sad the level of education he seems to not have isn't it?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    Wow that's great news, those lucky women within King Abdullah University are treated like normal human beings.



    Sorry, for the sarcasm, I know you were trying to answer correctly in the context of my question. I just get hot under the collar the way women are treated in this and similar countries in the region. It is a backward place and part of me would prefer Apple tell them to take their oil money and shove it. But then again, perhaps Apple can help educate the rulers of that country to enter the 21st century.

     

    It is not a switch you turn on and suddenly women will have equal rights. It takes time. How long it took to start treat african americans as human beings in America?!

  • Reply 14 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    Yes, I am aware of that.

     

    I was just wondering if it was an official Apple logo in that country, or if it was just some image that was grabbed to put into this story.


     

    No, you were not aware that it was arabic. Otherwise, you would not have questioned what the "crazy writing" was. Nor were you aware that that was the saudi flag. And no, I also doubt that you seriously believed there was a possibility of that being an "official Apple logo". Nice try, just admit your ignorance and move on instead of back-peddling with transparently false excuses. 

  • Reply 15 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     

     

    No, you were not aware that it was arabic. Otherwise, you would not have questioned what the "crazy writing" was. 


     

    Believe what you want.

     

    I've been to the mideast before and of course I know what Arabic writing looks like. I still think that it's crazy looking, and that's how I choose to refer to it, even if I'm aware of what it is.

  • Reply 16 of 29
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I think that Apple should appoint a woman who also happens to be a lesbian and jewish to be the Apple representative in that country.
    Which would get Apple what exactly? A few moments of press to score political points after which the rep is "reassigned"?
  • Reply 17 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post





    Which would get Apple what exactly? A few moments of press to score political points after which the rep is "reassigned"?

    I thought that Apple was about human rights, gay rights, anti-discrimination and all that stuff. They certainly seem to have been talking about it a lot lately.

     

    Or maybe that just applies to the US, and who cares what happens elsewhere.

  • Reply 18 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Will female Apple staff be able to drive a car?

    Absolutely not, it is bad enough woman are driving in this country.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why "Apple of Saudi arabia"? and not jus "Apple"?

    Was there a deal that they would only let Apple operate if they stamped the countries' name into theirs?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post



    Why "Apple of Saudi arabia"? and not jus "Apple"?



    Was there a deal that they would only let Apple operate if they stamped the countries' name into theirs?

     

    Probably will be an independent business entity which would keep profits made there out of the grip of the tax collectors here.

Sign In or Register to comment.