Nest CEO vows no ads in products as firm prepares to restart Protect smoke detector sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Nest is basically describing itself as Filemaker Inc.

Talking of which, Filemaker Inc., is a weird set up. Filemaker should be a $50 app on the App Store by now .... If you look at the cost of FCPro X, Aperture or Logic Pro, Filemaker is out in lala land these days. I wish Apple would drag that company back inside and make it part of iWork.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

After seeing tha pic of the smore alarm, this article seems a little silly.

I mean, what kind of ads would be displayed on it or a thermostat?

Easy….when the heat turns on, Google will send ads for sweaters and jackets.  When the AC goes on, you will get ads for shorts and swimwear.  It has an LCD display, it can display any advertisement it wants.  Nest is a joke anyway.  You can temperature control your house with a programmable thermostat for far less.  When you are not home, it won't go on, when you come home, you can set it to turn on 15 minutes earlier.  Better savings without Nest trying to figure out when you are home and get it wrong by running your AC or heat.  It is nothing more than $250 eye-candy.  But you can now expect Google to ruin it and Fadell won't be able to stop them since they own it.

• Reply 23 of 52
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    cali wrote: »
    After seeing tha pic of the smore alarm, this article seems a little silly.

Well the thermostat has a large colorful screen. They are actually two different products....
  • Reply 24 of 52
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member

I look forward to his next post in 2026.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Talking of which, Filemaker Inc., is a weird set up. Filemaker should be a $50 app on the App Store by now .... If you look at the cost of FCPro X, Aperture or Logic Pro, Filemaker is out in lala land these days. I wish Apple would drag that company back inside and make it part of iWork.

Especially when Aperture is a free program thanks to Mavericks and the App Store activating the trial version making it a purchased app for Snow Leopard and up.  iWork no longer exists now that each program is free on its own.  Apple no longer calls it iWork.

• Reply 26 of 52
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member

Not really sure HOW they could put ads on a smoke detector/thermostat in all honesty. I suppose they could harvest the data on how you use it and then give your computer ads based on that (eg: give you ads for sweaters, blankets etc if you turn the heat up). If that's the case that's a little creepy.

• Reply 27 of 52
    I'm going to keep turning up the heat until you join Google +.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    hillstones wrote: »
    Especially when Aperture is a free program thanks to Mavericks and the App Store activating the trial version making it a purchased app for Snow Leopard and up.  iWork no longer exists now that each program is free on its own.  Apple no longer calls it iWork.

Are you being supportive of my comment or pedantic? I am sure you know what I meant .... if you search for 'iWork' Apple kindly give this link ...http://www.apple.com/creativity-apps/mac/

My point was, I'd like to a see Apple suck its database back inside Apple. It is needed and should be better integrated with the other Apple programs and at the relatively equivalent cost of other premium Apple applications, which are not actually free for the most part, just very reasonable.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Not really sure HOW they could put ads on a smoke detector/thermostat in all honesty. I suppose they could harvest the data on how you use it and then give your computer ads based on that (eg: give you ads for sweaters, blankets etc if you turn the heat up). If that's the case that's a little creepy.

We are talking Google here, of course it's creepy!
  • Reply 30 of 52
    I'm going to keep turning up the heat until you join Google +.

lol
  • Reply 31 of 52
    We are talking Google here, of course it's creepy!
    Very true!
  • Reply 32 of 52
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

He just couldn't hold back posting "Google Employee".

I'm guessing they'll use these as little data miners. They'll know when you're hot and when you're cold. They'll know u got up at 2:30am to turn up the temp cause you got too cold.

Now THAT'S creepy!!
  • Reply 33 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

I'm confused... isn't Nest's CEO Larry Page?  Why does this sell-out still think he's CEO??

• Reply 34 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Yeah, good luck with that Tony. No, really. Either you're blatantly lying, or an utterly naive moron. Frankly u don't know which is worse.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Sure.
    For any subsidiary, the subsidiary CEO could decide anything, without some kind of board of director fire his ass, or just overrule him.
    I mean, that's what a subsidiary is, right?
  • Reply 36 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    wovel wrote: »
    I look forward to his next post in 2026.

Nah, that'll be a warm up post. His 2049 gem will surely be a cracker!
  • Reply 37 of 52
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    cali wrote: »
    After seeing tha pic of the smoke alarm, this article seems a little silly.

Don't put it beyond Google to flash the light in Morse code "Ads everywhere. Invasion of privacy everywhere." is Google's true mantra.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That has to be a record.

Beats me by one year!

• Reply 39 of 52
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

First I am amazes the guy who joined 12 yrs ago is more interesting than the article itself.

now back to the story...

All I have to say is watch the double speak from Tony Fadell, he choosing his words wisely, so no ads on the thermostat itself, got that, no one ever looks at their thermostat anyway. He never said ads will not be placed in the phone app, nor is he now saying that google will not be mining the data from the app itself.

• Reply 40 of 52
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    i predict GE will buy Nest from Google two years from now for $320 million...

and Google stock will go up 10 points.