Apple wants Beats for Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, not technology

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    If this is true, then it is the biggest waste of money in Apples history. No offense to either of these two guys, but no two mean are worth 3.5 billion dollars for their connections.

They both could die in car accident next week and the money would be gone with them.
  • Reply 82 of 114
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    This just sounds dumb. Spend a small percentage of that 3.2bn to keep good employees like the Core Animation developer within the company instead of something silly like this.

This may be a worse move than Brewett.
  • Reply 83 of 114
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Stupid. Two people are not worth 3 billion dollars. 

• Reply 84 of 114
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

If this is true, then it is the biggest waste of money in Apples history. No offense to either of these two guys, but no two mean are worth 3.5 billion dollars for their connections.

They both could die in car accident next week and the money would be gone with them.

You managed to mess up the one universal fact from all these rumors: the 3.2 billion dollars.  $3.5 billion is crazy talk.  /s

If, on the off chance, Apple does value these two guys at billions of dollars, they will write a contract that somehow ties the money to performance (somehow).  I'm not worrying about the details because a) I'm not a corporate lawyer or strategist, b) Apple has a few of those and they know what they are doing, c) if Apple actually does acquire Beats we might actually get a press release from Apple that explains their thinking, and d) the whole idea sounds nuts to me so I'm not going to strain my brain to try to guess about a rumor.

• Reply 85 of 114
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Very expensive aqui-hire considering what Apple spent to get Steve Jobs back. Fashion & culture? I thought Apple already had that. Unless this is Tim Cook pandering to African-Americans and teenagers?

Quote:

If Apple is getting into the content creation business, i'd rather see them creating good TV programming rather than trying to build a record label.

Quote:

Just wait putting lipstick on the pig will happen soon.

Quote:

How is bringing on Iovine and Dre improving Apple's fashion? When I think of fashion and design I don't think of those two.

Quote:

I agree with what Marco Arment said on the last Accidental Tech Podcast. He recently tried out Beats headphones in an Apple store and said they were awful. He said Beats is essentially what Apple haters claim Apple is - OVERPRICED. Or the only reason people buy Apple products is because of slick marketing and design. The last thing Apple needs is to be associated with a brand that is considered overpriced. Also, for me Apple stands for quality. Tim Cook and Jony Ive have both said Apple's goal is not about revenues, but to make great products. And if you make great products the revenues will follow. To me Beats is the complete opposite of that. It's basically saying, who cares if it's a great product or not because it makes money. If that's what Apple is about now then that's really sad.

Quote:

Yeah Beats are a fad. Apple would be buying them at the height of their popularity. And when they go out of fashion then all Apple has is crappy headphones. I've said it before and I'll say it again that Samsung marketing must have really got to Apple. To me this seems all about Apple thinking it's not cool anymore (especially with young people) and spending $3B to try and buy some cool. Sad.

Quote:

Maybe he'll retire if this deal happens.

"Sad". 

No, what's sad is your incessant, obnoxious, self-congratulatory, mocking, ignorant, and downright nasty posts about something that is not even confirmed- and even if it was, you're utterly ignorant to the reason, motivations, and details of such a deal. You've made hundreds of comments about something that has been rumoured, and that nobody has any real specific or knowledge on. You're too damn narcissistic, vain, and trollish to at least wait until things are confirmed with some basic details, in order to give such conclusive and loud-mouthed opinions. Amazing that with all Apple has accomplished, with all the time their doubters have been wrong there's still people like you- who never, ever give them the benefit of the doubt and always assume the WORST case scenario- as if Apple has no clue what it's doing. Maybe you can hold your tongue until we know something real? You've given your obnoxiously ignorant take on this a million times already, and looks like there's no end in sight. You can't even imagine the possibility that Apple might know what it's doing. No, of course not- its the trolls like you that always know-all. 

• Reply 86 of 114
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This just sounds dumb. Spend a small percentage of that 3.2bn to keep good employees like the Core Animation developer within the company instead of something silly like this.

This may be a worse move than Brewett.

Maybe that developer had other reasons for leaving, and did want to spend his entire life at Apple? Maybe he accomplished everything he wanted to accomplish and more at Apple? You only live once, maybe he wanted to try his hand at something new? Maybe money couldn't sway him? Maybe he wasn't that vital at Apple anymore? Amazing how people like you can assume and conclude so many things based on complete, utter ignorance. 

• Reply 87 of 114
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member

This isn't even a rumor anymore this has been a done deal for a while. 

• Reply 88 of 114
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I'm starting to love this rumour. Mainly because no-one knows what to make of it. There's no clear confirmation that it's happening (or happened) and yet everyone is running around trying to work out what it's for. Within minutes on the web, you might see someone asserting it's definitely for the headphones, then for the music streaming, then for the people...

I don't know if it's happening. I suspect not, as it doesn't make much sense, but I'm not running a multi billion dollar corporation. But the entertainment value of watching pundits and internet commenters run round trying to explain it is starting to win me over. And I don't usually go in for this kind of voyeurism.
  • Reply 89 of 114
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

You managed to mess up the one universal fact from all these rumors: the 3.2 billion dollars.  $3.5 billion is crazy talk.  /s

If, on the off chance, Apple does value these two guys at billions of dollars, they will write a contract that somehow ties the money to performance (somehow).  I'm not worrying about the details because a) I'm not a corporate lawyer or strategist, b) Apple has a few of those and they know what they are doing, c) if Apple actually does acquire Beats we might actually get a press release from Apple that explains their thinking, and d) the whole idea sounds nuts to me so I'm not going to strain my brain to try to guess about a rumor.

edit

missed the /s tag

• Reply 90 of 114
    I know you guys shorted Apple...but trying to extend this rumor every Thursday will not salvage your incorrect decision. So wake up and drink a cup of coffee and stop lying thru your unprofessional articles.
  • Reply 91 of 114
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Stupid. Two people are not worth 3 billion dollars. 

Especially not THESE particular two people.....

• Reply 92 of 114
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »

"Sad". 

No, what's sad is your incessant, obnoxious, self-congratulatory, mocking, ignorant, and downright nasty posts about something that is not even confirmed- and even if it was, you're utterly ignorant to the reason, motivations, and details of such a deal. You've made hundreds of comments about something that has been rumoured, and that nobody has any real specific or knowledge on. You're too damn narcissistic, vain, and trollish to at least wait until things are confirmed with some basic details, in order to give such conclusive and loud-mouthed opinions. Amazing that with all Apple has accomplished, with all the time their doubters have been wrong there's still people like you- who never, ever give them the benefit of the doubt and always assume the WORST case scenario- as if Apple has no clue what it's doing. Maybe you can hold your tongue until we know something real? You've given your obnoxiously ignorant take on this a million times already, and looks like there's no end in sight. You can't even imagine the possibility that Apple might know what it's doing. No, of course not- its the trolls like you that always know-all. 

You know you can put me on ignore if my "trolling" bothers you so much. But I'm sure if I was posting here about how great this is and how genius Tim Cook is nobody would be complaining or calling it trollish behavior. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 93 of 114
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

We all seen this before went we see analysis making wild predictions like this one they have no clue what they are talking about, they just filling the fact vacuum with made up stuff to make it sound like they have some idea what they are doing.

Apple does not need to buy Beats to get Jim to help them as power broker with content owns, they can put him on the board and hire him as a consultant. But Apple issue is not with music or written content, it is with video and the players are different. Apple already has an in with Disney but that does not seem to help. Apple has to work with company like Viacom and Comcast, neither of which is interested in seeing Apple getting a content deal.

• Reply 94 of 114
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    insightful wrote: »
    As to comments regarding the quality of the Beats products, remember that Apple currently sells these products in its stores today.

Jimmy Iovine commented on the sound quality of Beats. Typically reviewers merit headphones on sound reproduction, which is understandable but they were aiming to make the audio sound good:

http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2014/05/09/beats-co-founder-and-possible-apple-employee-jimmy-iovine-explains-how-he-and-dr-dre-innovate/

"It just came down to whether we liked the sound. We didn’t test anything with an oscilloscope. A lot of it was musician tested. I have a lot of people coming into my office–Bono and Edge were a big part of it. We asked people, “Is this what your music sounded like when you recorded it in the studio?” and we kept working on in until they said yes.

We worked with a manufacturer that had never made headphones before–Monster. We wanted a manufacturer that didn’t have preconceived ideas about what a headphone should be. Most headphones have the same “curve,” which is tuned for classical music. And we brought a sense of fashion to it, too. Most headphones look like medical devices. Who would want to put that on their head?"

The lead designer for Beats was Robert Brunner from Ammunition, Jony Ive's previous boss at Apple. He would have designed the old Pismo Powerbook G3s. Jony Ive took over around the late 90s and you can see the design shift to the iBooks and titanium G4 powerbooks later on.

Beats has captured over 50% of the premium headphone market so it clearly has a strong appeal. I don't see a reason to get rid of the headphone line as that just hands over that huge market to a competitor but hiring strong candidates in their respective fields is a good strategy. A lot of the current Apple leads are getting nearer retirement. Eddy Cue has been at Apple for 25 years:

https://www.apple.com/pr/bios/eddy-cue.html

Dre and Iovine don't have to replace him entirely but they can have some lead in the direction of iTunes to take some weight off Eddy Cue. They are ideal candidates to direct the world's leading online music retail outlet.
    adamc wrote:
    How will Apple get them to stay if one day they decided to leave and with all the Bs these guys are set for life without work.

I'm pretty sure they were set for life beforehand. Their company had over $1b in revenue. It also may not be in cash but stock that they have to wait to cash in like Angela Ahrendts.
  • Reply 95 of 114
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member

"Despite mediocre reviews from critics, the firm's high-margin headphones are some of the most popular models on the market."

I guess this just goes to show how ignorant people are. It maybe a POS, but if everybody else is ignorant and buying them, then I guess I have to too. What fools the consumers are. I need to think of something horrible I can sell to the sheep.

• Reply 96 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

"Despite mediocre reviews from critics, the firm's high-margin headphones are some of the most popular models on the market."

I guess this just goes to show how ignorant people are. It maybe a POS, but if everybody else is ignorant and buying them, then I guess I have to too. What fools the consumers are. I need to think of something horrible I can sell to the sheep.

There should always be room for choice, and we shouldn't be denigrating people who merely choose a product which we ourselves did not choose. It's not for us to say what best suits someone else. Aside from technical quality, there are many reasons to choose an alternative to what you might feel is "the best", including personal style, price, corporate politics, individual "fit", and others, both tangible and intangible. No need to call people "sheep" or "cultists" or "droids" or "fanbois". Doing so just exposes your own arrogance.  

Everyone need not assimilate, and resistance is never futile.

• Reply 97 of 114
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

There should always be room for choice, and we shouldn't be denigrating people who merely choose a product which we ourselves did not choose. It's not for us to say what best suits someone else. Aside from technical quality, there are many reasons to choose an alternative to what you might feel is "the best", including personal style, price, corporate politics, individual "fit", and others, both tangible and intangible. No need to call people "sheep" or "cultists" or "droids" or "fanbois". Doing so just exposes your own arrogance.  

Everyone need not assimilate, and resistance is never futile.

... or they could have bought a product out of sheer ignorance.

It still happens to me. Not near as much as it did when I was younger. Hype thrown at a gullible audience has built quite a few companies.

• Reply 98 of 114
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    slurpy wrote: »

"Sad". 

Good job, needed to be said. Major irritant.
  • Reply 99 of 114
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    You know you can put me on ignore if my "trolling" bothers you so much. But I'm sure if I was posting here about how great this is and how genius Tim Cook is nobody would be complaining or calling it trollish behavior. :rolleyes:

Putting you on ignore doesn't work because others respond to you.

If you had a rational approach to this rumored deal, you might say a couple things, share a couple if insights, and then keep quiet.

You are working this over shamefully. If it was a horse, you'd be arrested for animal cruelty. Your motives are highly suspect as a result.
  • Reply 100 of 114
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    massconn72 wrote: »

Critics might find OLED displays poor quality if they were testing faithful color reproduction. However, consumers might love them because they show very vivid, highly saturated colors. Just because Beats weren't designed for faithful sound reproduction doesn't mean they deserve a poor reception. If consumers like how they sound then they'll review them positively. Most consumers seem to be reviewing them positively:

http://www.amazon.com/Beats-On-Ear-Headphone-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B008DS0W18
    http://www.amazon.com/Beats-On-Ear-Headphone-Drenched-Black/dp/B00ETI275K

Examples of the negatives are:

"BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! if this is how you BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! like to listen to your music, then BOOM! BOOM! these might be just be the outlet your $200 has been looking for. If, however, you have any desire to enjoy any sound above 200Hz or so, then by all means move along people -- there's nothing to hear...here. The mids and highs aren't just muddy, they're mired in quicksand."

"Boomy bass creates a jumbled and imprecise sound. The balance is way too bass heavy for just about any genre of music, and you lose any quality in the highs and mid-range that you would otherwise have. Vocals sound like you're listening to a singer through a glass wall and it's hard to pick out the highs when they sound so far away."

The hundreds of positive reviews however simply say that they look great and sound great and people are happy with them. A lot of the positive reviews seem to come from people using them for everyday music. The negative reviews come more from people looking for the most accurate sound reproduction.