Google reportedly developing 'Project Tango' tablet with 3D mapping capabilities

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2014
Google is reportedly working on a tablet version of its "Project Tango" computer vision initiative that incorporates multiple advanced imaging sensors into a portable device for real time three-dimensional mapping.

Google's Project Tango Android phone. | Source: Google

According to The Wall Street Journal, the Internet search giant is furthering research into computer vision technology with a 7-inch tablet kitted out with two rear-facing cameras, infrared depth sensors and highly customized software. Sources claim production of 4,000 prototype units will begin in June.

From the report's description, the small-format slate seems to be an oversized version of the existing prototype Project Tango smartphone released in February by Google's Advanced Technology and Projects division.

The tablet appears to have the same or similar imaging hardware as the smartphone version, which features a regular camera mounted near the top of the handset, a motion-sensing camera positioned opposite and integrated depth sensors mounted between the two. It is unknown what type of CPU will power the tablet, but the phone boasts two "computer vision" processors and assorted positioning sensors for calculating movement in three-dimensions.

Google's Project Tango webpage notes the sensor suite "allow(s) the phone to make over a quarter million 3D measurements every second updating its position and orientation in real-time combining that data into a single 3D model of the space around you."

Applications of the tech could range from navigation aids for visually impaired users to immersive augmented reality games.

Developers already have their hands on the phone and WSJ reports the company plans to release the tablet to select testers prior to Google I/O, which begins on June 25.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    But they don't have Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre. /s
  • Reply 2 of 40
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

Can't wait ...

• Reply 3 of 40
    bernzbernz Posts: 5member
    I just love the way many developers in the video have MacBooks on their desks...
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Maps + another dimension for government spying.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    rogifan wrote: »
    But they don't have Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre. /s
    Apple has been developing a similar technology for a long time ... Lets see whos implementation hits the market first?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Apple has been developing a similar technology for a long time ... Lets see whos implementation hits the market first?

From what I've read Project Tango even utilizes some of the PrimeSense technology that Apple purchased.

• Reply 7 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

You just put an image in my head of someone wearing Google Glass who is forced to view augmented reality erections sticking out of the pants of everyone around him.

I don’t know whether to laugh or be horrified.

• Reply 8 of 40
    nobbisnobbis Posts: 1member
    Here's 3D scanning for any Android device: http://aboundlabs.com
  • Reply 9 of 40

Cool!

And that seems to be the problem all the time. The first read of any Google research/ prototype makes me think it is a cool technology. And then the ADD overlords of Google suck out all interest by never releasing anything.

• Reply 10 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Wait I recognize that guy!

He was throwing his virginity at Nintendo for years. He had some AMAZING gaming ideas he was giving away to them for free.

Nintendo spit him out and Microsoft hired him(of course).

And now Giggle is the new Microsoft. And I found it funny to see him hired there!!

P.S. STUPID Nintendo.

• Reply 11 of 40
    [SIZE=5]Google reportedly developing 'Project Tango' tablet with 3D mapping capabilities[/SIZE]

This is announced as if Google actually has a viable product rather then a new-smelling fart in the laboratory. More then likely this will amount to as much as the Microsoft Slate of the 1990s... a lot of smoke and mirrors before they get back to the Jet Pack and fitting an advertising display in the Nest Thermostat big enough to catch your attention from the adjoining room...
  • Reply 12 of 40
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

From what I've read Project Tango even utilizes some of the PrimeSense technology that Apple purchased.

I'm sure that relationship might not last long. :-)

• Reply 13 of 40
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Wait I recognize that guy!

He was throwing his virginity at Nintendo for years. He had some AMAZING gaming ideas he was giving away to them for free.

Nintendo spit him out and Microsoft hired him(of course).

And now Giggle is the new Microsoft. And I found it funny to see him hired there!!

P.S. STUPID Nintendo.

I can see some special uses for this type of technology, but I don't think the masses are going to need it or buy into it.

• Reply 14 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Google reportedly developing 'Project Tango' tablet with 3D mapping capabilities

This is announced as if Google actually has a viable product rather then a new-smelling fart in the laboratory. More then likely this will amount to as much as the Microsoft Slate of the 1990s... a lot of smoke and mirrors before they get back to the Jet Pack and fitting an advertising display in the Nest Thermostat big enough to catch your attention from the adjoining room...
    But that's how it is with everything Google. Where I work we had a speaker yesterday who referenced Google's so-called smart contact lens and how the future was your smartphone embedded into your contacts lenses. Of course he completely failed to mention that this product is AL LEAST 5 years away from being a viable product. And that's assuming it ever makes it out of the lab.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernz View Post

I just love the way many developers in the video have MacBooks on their desks...

Why wouldn't they be? 

• Reply 16 of 40
    bernzbernz Posts: 5member
    Well, if "thermonuclear war" was declared (or almost) between Apple and Google, I would have expected Google to push their own laptops (e.g. Chromebooks). It's like Google execs using an iPhone, or McDonald's president eating at Burger King... It's all about perception.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Personally, I'm more interested in who does it best. I'd rather be best than first. – Just my two cents.

• Reply 18 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    bernz wrote: »
    Well, if "thermonuclear war" was declared (or almost) between Apple and Google, I would have expected Google to push their own laptops (e.g. Chromebooks). It's like Google execs using an iPhone, or McDonald's president eating at Burger King... It's all about perception.

Google never declared war of any kind against Apple. That's just a cry from some Apple fans meant to rally the troops so to speak as tho Apple is in danger and being attacked :\

Google has an incredible number of Macs, 43,000 of them give or take a few. I imagine that makes them one of Apple's larger customers and pretty darn Apple-friendly.
    https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa13/managing-macs-google-scale
  • Reply 19 of 40
    eckerguseckergus Posts: 96member
    yojimbo007 wrote: »

It doesn't really matter whose implementation hits the market first, but HOW this concept is implemented. It not necessarily the concept, or when it is introduced, but HOW the concept is implemented. The how is more important than the what. It is all about UX. And that's where Apple triumphs: implementation and UX.
  • Reply 20 of 40

Hmmm ... Amazon is coming out with a 3D phone this year too. I wonder if either of the 3D products will sell. In either case, it is merely augmenting an existing product, not innovating with a new product like the I-Pad. Or making such improvements to an existing product that it blows it out of the water, like Apple did with the smartphone and MP3 player with I-Phone and I-Pod. Also, Apple will be able to easily come out with 3D phones and tablets and when they do, that is what people will buy. 

Ah well. At least their Chromebooks are selling. And Google Fiber looks real promising, even if I think that they will use it to get ALL of your data unless someone passes a law against it. Driverless cars are a cool innovation, but I do not see any market for them anytime soon other than governments for public transportation, and even that is at least 3-5 years away from being practical.