Apple scuttlebutt spurs Samsung to seek sapphire solutions for smartphones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
The ever-present rumors that Apple will move from Corning's Gorilla Glass to a new screen covering based on sapphire in its next-generation iPhone are said to have caused South Korean competitors Samsung and LG to look at the material more closely, according to a Friday report.

Mesa
Apple-GT Advanced sapphire manufacturing plant in Arizona.

Both companies are thought to have evaluated sapphire last year as well, eventually passing on it for cost reasons. Word of the Asian conglomerates' about-face came from Korea's etnews.com and was first noticed by GforGames.

As a result of Apple's widely-anticipated move -- made ever more likely by the company's $578 million investment in an Arizona sapphire facility -- Samsung and LG have asked Asian sapphire manufacturers to provide new samples for consideration. It would likely take at least one year before Samsung could adopt the material, with the company's new flagship Galaxy S5 handset being released only last month.

Many Apple watchers believe that the iPhone maker's sapphire play is not meant for smartphones or tablets, but instead for the so-called "iWatch." Sapphire is a common component in watches thanks to its exceptional scratch resistance, but it is ultimately extremely brittle, rendering it susceptible to shattering when dropped.

Still others think that Apple is aiming its investment at a more utilitarian need. Each of the nearly 200 million iOS devices sold each year ships with a sapphire lens on its rear-facing camera, while the material also forms the touch surface of the iPhone 5s's Touch ID system, which is likely to make its way to the iPad this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124

And smart watches...

• Reply 2 of 124
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Start your photocopiers.
  • Reply 3 of 124
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Once again we see that Apple has the balls and intellect to do something new. Once they prove it can be done, the unimaginative cowards at Samsung and the like act like "oh, but phone manufacturers have always used sapphire."  I hope they (the Korean copyists) blow their money on this and find out they don't have the IP to pull it off well.

• Reply 4 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I miss alliteration in newspaper article titles.

• Reply 5 of 124
    stargazerctstargazerct Posts: 227member
    Monkey see, monkey do. Looks like Samdung is at it again.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Once again we see that Apple has the balls and intellect to do something new. Once they prove it can be done, the unimaginative cowards at Samsung and the like act like "oh, but phone manufacturers have always used sapphire."  I hope they (the Korean copyists) blow their money on this and find out they don't have the IP to pull it off well.

They'll give the excuse they gave a long time ago when they copied Apple in the first place, I think it was something along the lines of a logical progression.  

• Reply 7 of 124
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Samsung, the leading follower.
  • Reply 8 of 124
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Samsung, the leading follower.

Yup, it's the leading by following/innovating by copying leadership Samsung has.

We used to use Microsoft for things like this, but Samsung took MS's place. 

• Reply 9 of 124
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yup, it's the leading by following/innovating by copying leadership Samsung has.

We used to use Microsoft for things like this, but Samsung took MS's place. 

True. It's probably more fair to say that Samsung is copying MS, because MS was famous for weak imitations of Apple innovations, and now Samsung has assumed that role. It's also kind of funny and interesting that nobody even cares about MS copying Apple anymore. That's how far MS has fallen. But I think they may also be trying to copy less.

• Reply 10 of 124
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    The samsung are cheating and dumb employees. So what I say about samsung are big troublemakers chin CEO thief in the world. We should to steal their money from their pockets.
  • Reply 11 of 124
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    I miss alliteration in newspaper article titles.

I just want them more accurate. Apple's $578M investment is not what I would call scuttlebutt.
  • Reply 12 of 124
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member
    Samsung is like the kid that just got out of the hospital for multiple bee stings and first thing he does is take a stick to a bee hive.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I seem to recall that there is proof, not just a rumour, that Apple heavily invested in sapphire. That alone should have made every single one of Apple's HW competitors to want to know about the material and applications, not just Samsung. It's in their best interests to understand the potential, just as it's in Apple's best interest to understand the potential of a gimmicky feature that adorns the Galaxy S5. This is par for the course.
  • Reply 14 of 124
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

This reminds me of the TouchID feature Apple introduced. Samsung was forced to follow but even went so far as to admit their solution wasn’t as sophisticated as Apple’s. Also made perfectly clear is that Apple’s competitors pay close attention to what the company is up to. So much for the iHater’s memes about lack of innovation and decent into irrelevancy. Competitors don’t think Apple is irrelevant, not by a long shot.

• Reply 15 of 124
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

Sapphire and plastic bandaids don't go together well.

• Reply 16 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    This reminds me of the TouchID feature Apple introduced. Samsung was forced to follow but even went so far as to admit their solution wasn’t as sophisticated as Apple’s. Also made perfectly clear is that Apple’s competitors pay close attention to what the company is up to. So much for the iHater’s memes about lack of innovation and decent into irrelevancy. Competitors don’t think Apple is irrelevant, not by a long shot.

I honestly wish Apple's competitors would follow Apple more closely so that more products could be made with better care and quality. So far it seems their interest stops being just enough to add an item to a spec sheet without any consideration for making it a better UX. I'd like to see that aspect of Apple copied as 1) it's one thing Apple can't own, and 2) we'll get better products all around.
  • Reply 17 of 124
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    Always a day late to the party, this must be more of that "leading by following" prowess of theirs.
  • Reply 18 of 124
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

Samsung S6's new sapphire alternative made out from plastic :)

• Reply 19 of 124
    And the trolls always spout "Apple needs competition". Just Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 124
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I honestly wish Apple's competitors would follow Apple more closely so that more products could be made with better care and quality. So far it seems their interest stops being just enough to add an item to a spec sheet without any consideration for making it a better UX. I'd like to see that aspect of Apple copied as 1) it's one thing Apple can't own, and 2) we'll get better products all around.

I can't wait to buy my "almost iPhone" from the cheapest commodity electronics manufacturer. /s