Apple scuttlebutt spurs Samsung to seek sapphire solutions for smartphones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    I just want them more accurate. Apple's $578M investment is not what I would call scuttlebutt.

The article does not say it is. The scuttlebutt is the samsung interest which was spurred by Apple's investment and interest.
  • Reply 22 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And the trolls always spout "Apple needs competition". Just Apple.

The following is what this guy ACTUALLY BELIEVES.

Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

…the difference is that Samsung has competition on Andorid. Apple has no competition on iOS. They have no incentive to deliver anything but the bare minimum needed to keep people buying iPhones. Samsung has to worry about competitors on Android undercutting them. And because of this competition, the customer wins. And Android users end up getting cheaper phones that do more. 

• Reply 23 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    And the trolls always spout "Apple needs competition". Just Apple.

In their defense all those bottom feeders are already competing with each other on many unprofitable fronts that Apple doesn't concern itself with.
  • Reply 24 of 124
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I just want them more accurate. Apple's $578M investment is not what I would call scuttlebutt.

"The ever-present rumors that Apple will move from Corning's Gorilla Glass to a new screen covering based on sapphire in its next-generation iPhone..."

The headline is clearly referencing the rumors about what the sapphire will be used for - screens vs. covers for Touch ID or camera lenses - and not, in fact, questioning Apple's interest in the subject.

• Reply 25 of 124
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I honestly wish Apple's competitors would follow Apple more closely so that more products could be made with better care and quality. So far it seems their interest stops being just enough to add an item to a spec sheet without any consideration for making it a better UX. I'd like to see that aspect of Apple copied as 1) it's one thing Apple can't own, and 2) we'll get better products all around.

agreed.   If not follow better, at least leapfrog innovate.   So far, we got smaller 'phablets' (leading to the iPad Mini), and larger phones (purportedly leading to the iPhone 6H(uge) .

It does the market good to have competent competition from at least 2 sides, as that drives innovation and customer value.   This is part of the reason Apple really doesn't care about selling the _MOST_ devices...  Even though it thought the competition was going to be RIMM and MS, I think Apple is really happy selling 25-30% of the mobile devices out there, and letting the MS/Android world have 50% and someone else (RIMM/now MS... maybe soon Samsung) have 20-25% , because Apple knows how to integrate value in and get the upper 25% of the spenders. To survive in a market with less profit, you have to innovate, and Apple can then be the 'copier' (or better, 'improve).   This also allows the others to 'market test' new features before Apple commits a year product run on them.  A Samsung or a Motorola could build one device in it's flock of 20 to have Feature X... When Apple puts a feature in, it's on a device that will sell 100M (if a phone) a year.   Best be sure the market is ready for it before introducing it.

OTOH... I truly think that the Apple _MODEL_ of delivering personal mobile devices  is something only a few can deliver [Google, MS, and ???], and almost all have failed, due to the compromises it brings to the rest of their revenue model.  ITMS/iTunes/FW iPod connections, deals with content providers, getting carriers to become 'dumb pipes' instead of 'customers for handsets', _owning_ security of the device, which now is starting to pave the way to being able to provide 'identity services' which can then lead to mobile payment solutions, e-signatures that are at least 2 factor (fingerprint and device, tied to a valid credit card [itself a reasonable factor, assuming credit card companies are doing some sort of due diligence]), application security, retail services, integration with an desktop OS, etc, etc, etc.   This is not about 'creeping featureism' but a well written fugue that builds upon itself when at times you think, 'this is crazy, discordant stuff'.

That's the true innovation here... not designing stand alone features ('let's put a fingerprint scanner in... what's it tied to... err, well,... the phone... sort of)(Sapphire... yeah, jewelry, bling, that will sell)(64bit.... now we can build out a 8GB RAM phone... oh... you mean it will be a battery hog?  And not much faster, because none of the apps are 64bit?), but designing to a plan less about hitting profit numbers, but hitting capability numbers.

Part of skating to where the puck will be is to have a play called that says where you want the puck to be in the first place [other than in the goal... that's SuperMite strategy... get puck, skate, shoot], and the discipline to stick to the play, and the wherewithal to do the talent drafting, drills and skills development BEFORE you step out on the ice (LiquidMetal, PA Semi, Authentech, GT Advanced...)

• Reply 26 of 124
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

You fanboys suck.

Did Apple invent sapphire? No, I didn't think so.

My future Galaxy phone will also have a sapphire screen. It's just the natural progression of things. Apple is truly a company that has no innovation. If Apple didn't exist, then smartphones would be much more advanced today.

And the finger print scanner on my Samsung phone is just as good as Apple's Touch ID. It may take a few more swipes to get it to work, but that's just because my fingers are often dirty, since I like to give myself hourly self prostate exams. It's not easy being a Fandroid.

And that whole move to 64 bit phones is just an Apple gimmick. 64 bit wont be useful until a few more years from now, when the rest of the world also finally moves to 64 bit. Then me and all other Fandroids out there will be proclaiming how great 64 bit is all of a sudden.

Apple phones are just not worth the money.

Did you know that with the money that I saved on my last Android phone, I was able to take my girlfriend out and treat her to a nice, romantic dinner at Red Lobster? I don't usually spring for such fancy joints, but I wanted to treat her nicely, all 350 pounds of her. I'm supposed to meet her next week for a date at Popeye's, and I'm even thinking about popping the big question to her. We get free WIFI at that Popeye's, so that's another added benefit.

I have to go now, because I really can't stand talking to all of you Apple sheep.

• Reply 27 of 124
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I honestly wish Apple's competitors would follow Apple more closely so that more products could be made with better care and quality. So far it seems their interest stops being just enough to add an item to a spec sheet without any consideration for making it a better UX. I'd like to see that aspect of Apple copied as 1) it's one thing Apple can't own, and 2) we'll get better products all around.

Uh huh. 

Apple's done a pretty good job of copying UX elements I'd say. 

• Reply 28 of 124
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Between this and the news that they are developing a competitor to VR by Oculus or Sony shows that they aren't close to changing their ways.

Maybe one day they'll stop stealing other people's ideas.

AHAHAH nono they'll never change.

• Reply 29 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And that whole move to 64 bit phones is just an Apple gimmick. 64 bit wont be useful until a few more years from now, when the rest of the world also finally moves to 64 bit. Then me and all other Fandroids out there will be proclaiming how great 64 bit is all of a sudden.

Hilarious considering we were just now talking about spec overkill. 1080p displays are not necessary...but 64-bit processors that don't do anything are vital, and worth advertising. Ok. 

• Reply 30 of 124
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    samesung at it again...
  • Reply 31 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Between this and the news that they are developing a competitor to VR by Oculus or Sony shows that they aren't close to changing their ways.

Maybe one day they'll stop stealing other people's ideas.

AHAHAH nono they'll never change.

Yes, they need to stop stealing other people's ideas!

http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/Apple929.htm

• Reply 32 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Uh huh. 

Apple's done a pretty good job of copying UX elements I'd say. 

AHAHAH let me laugh, troll.

Learn, instead of using old images that are just wrong and simply show how ignorant of other OSes you are :

• Reply 33 of 124
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So you want Apple's competitors to be as good as Apple at being Apple, so you can buy products from them? Sounds logical. I think Apple should have classes to help them. /s
  • Reply 34 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Hilarious considering we were just now talking about spec overkill. 1080p displays are not necessary...but 64-bit processors that don't do anything are vital, and worth advertising. Ok. 

1 You know nothing of processors

2 At least it works, unlike that shitty heart-rate sensor :

• Reply 35 of 124
    So how would you explain Apple jumping from a 3.5 inch screen to a 4.0 inch screen after saying all along that a 3.5 inch was the "perfect" size for one-handed use? What about all this Samsung (and other Android smartphones) phablet talks? Now all of a sudden Apple is rumored to bump it up even more to 4.7 inch? Monkey see, monkey do anyone?
  • Reply 36 of 124
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member

Like every other company on earth, Apple does what's necessary to sell stuff. Sometimes that means saying that the processor is an uninteresting piece of silicon, sometimes it means putting it front and center. Anybody remember Steve's famous "feeds and speeds" rant?

• Reply 37 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

1 You know nothing of processors

ORLY? What percentage of Apple apps are currently making use of that 64-bit processor?

It's sure not helping with app loading speed. This cheap Android phone can already beat it. 

and 

• Reply 38 of 124
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You fanboys suck.

Did Apple invent sapphire? No, I didn't think so.

My future Galaxy phone will also have a sapphire screen. It's just the natural progression of things. Apple is truly a company that has no innovation. If Apple didn't exist, then smartphones would be much more advanced today.

And the finger print scanner on my Samsung phone is just as good as Apple's Touch ID. It may take a few more swipes to get it to work, but that's just because my fingers are often dirty, since I like to give myself hourly self prostate exams. It's not easy being a Fandroid.

Apple phones are just not worth the money.

Did you know that with the money that I saved on my last Android phone, I was able to take my girlfriend out and treat her to a nice, romantic dinner at Red Lobster? I don't usually spring for such fancy joints, but I wanted to treat her nicely, all 350 pounds of her. I'm supposed to meet her next week for a date at Popeye's, and I'm even thinking about popping the big question to her. We get free WIFI at that Popeye's, so that's another added benefit.

I have to go now, because I really can't stand talking to all of you Apple sheep.

Great sarcasm! Two thumbs up!

• Reply 39 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I miss alliteration in newspaper article titles.

alliteration always adds an alluring and alluding acceptibility

• Reply 40 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Great sarcasm! Two thumbs up!

LOL, this is what it is always like on Apple forums. Patting each other on the back. It's like a cult.