Former Apple designer dispels myths about Steve Jobs, corporate culture

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegean View Post

Tim has yet to prove that he is the right replacement of Steve. And it might take years. I don't want Apple to become just another mobile phone company and only remembered as an iPhone maker.

What do you mean by "right replacement"? If you're expecting another Steve Jobs you have a long wait coming. Visionaries like that come one a decade at best and the likelihood of such a person gravitating to Apple is far fetched.

I think Apple has already made some very bold moves under Tim's direction that demonstrate he's neither steering the company to disaster nor running it on auto-pilot.

It's easy to say we're due for another revolutionary product launch but I think it's unrealistic to simply assume this sort of thing can be accomplished on a regular schedule.

"Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything. It's very fortunate if you can work on just one of these in your career. Apple's been very fortunate in that it's introduced a few of these." - Steve Jobs introducing first iPhone in 2007

• Reply 42 of 48
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    hameta wrote: »
    "It's actually the engineering culture, and the way the organization is structured to appreciate and support design," Kawano said. "Everybody there is thinking about UX and design, not just the designers. And that's what makes everything about the product so much better...much more than any individual designer or design team."

Well Said !

That's WHAT DIFFERENCIATES Apple from Other Internet BUGGIES Such As Google !!!

In that Context I Recommend Apple to Buy This Company instead of " Beats " by Less Than A Fiftieth Money They're Going to Spend, Not Because I'm JAPANESE.

http://gigaom.com/2014/05/13/a-japanese-startup-unveils-a-long-lasting-and-safer-battery-made-from-carbon/

hameta wrote: »
    We NEVER FORGET He Usted to Respond to e-mail Asking from Unknown Person Diligently.

I suggest you send an email to Tim Cook with the suggestion, I believe he's as open as Steve Jobs, what do you have to lose? I don't know his email though, perhaps someone here may contribute with that info.

And I agree Apple could very well buy out this product/company for the technology patents, the product itself and the brainware/inventor! And then license it to the Shamesing etc competitors, making money from their products - it's about time, if you want to copy, fine but you pay up big time as royalties. They haven't been successful doing that because SS buys everybody out.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Did [Steve Jobs] really fire somebody in an elevator or is that an urban myth?

Might could have happened. I came close to being fired by him fairly early during the original Mac development effort.

I was a tech writer in the Apple][ / Apple/// group, and we'd heard the occasional and fragmentary bit of gossip about what was going on there, since we'd previously worked with people like Andy Herzfeld and Brian Howard, etc.Things like the display, and how Steve was supposed to have gone to one of the secretary's desks, ripped out a sheet of paper from a typewriter and counted the number of characters per line on the page.

Which was then to be the number of characters per line on the Mac's display; 72 IIRC. Which I thought was insufficient, and something more would be better. (Yeah, I'd never seen a bit-mapped display before.) So Steve happened to walk by our cube farm, talking with someone, and I piped up and said the display ought to be wider, with 120 or 132 characters per line.

Utter silence for a beat. Then Steve's voice rose; starting with "who said that?" and increasing from there. And was *not* overflowing with delight, what with voiced suspicions regarding security leaks. 

But he didn't recognize my voice (why would he?), and I was smart enough to stay down and quiet. And so lasted another couple of years, until 1200 or so of us were laid off by John Scully.

• Reply 44 of 48
    calfotocalfoto Posts: 70member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I just hope that we don't see Steve Jobs appearing as a hologram at any Apple event anytime soon.

I can hardly think of two more different people to compare than Steve Jobs and Michael Jackson.

What exactly do those two have in common?

Did they both like to moonwalk? Did they both have a strange fondness for little boys? Did they both constantly have an urge to touch their crotches? 

I actually like some of Michael Jackson's earlier songs, so I'm not trying to be a hater here, but I fail to see how the two are similar at all. They were both famous, that's about all that I can see.

Really?

When you get down to it both Steve & MJ were committed to excellence and would accept nothing less in the pursuit of their chosen fields. For Steve that was the hardware, software and the user experience of Apple's products for the end users - For MJ it was his music, concerts, videos, and the user experience (of his products) for his fans.

Why's it so hard to see the commonality in that?
  • Reply 45 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I have never worked at Apple, so I am loath to disagree with this guy, but there are other companies with engineering cultures and they don't produce such great products. I think what Apple has is a Quality culture. A dedication to quality in all forms and a refusal to accept anything less than the best. 

I think that's why so many people got upset with the iPhone 5C which they, rightly or wrongly, perceived as cheap. Or why there is now such a furore over the Beats aquistion. Although their products are popular, audiophiles say they are not the best. And so how could the managers of that company (which Apple is looking to hire) have a quality culture?

• Reply 46 of 48
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    I so enjoyed this interview. An intriguing insight into the Apple philosophy.