Online Apple Store offering free shipping on all purchases through May 29

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Apple on Friday announced free shipping on all purchases made through the Online Apple Store in the run up to Father's Day, a change from the typical $50-and-up campaign pricing.

In a departure from its usual shipping promotions, which are normally applicable on orders $50 and up, Apple is offering free shipping on all orders placed through the Online Apple Store from now through May 29.

Along with the banner seen above, Apple also tweaked its Shipping and Returns webpage to reflect the new campaign.

The promotion aligns with Father's Day, which falls on June 15, allowing shoppers to buy a wider range of items from Apple's online shop than in previous years. This includes accessories and third-party products not usually eligible for free shipping when purchased separately.

The online storefront was last updated on Tuesday with a dedicated section for Father's Day titled "A Father's Day gift he'll open every day." As in 2013, Apple is pushing its most recent iPad products with direct links to the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display along with reminders for ship-by dates and free engraving.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Clearing inventory before a bunch of hardware updates at WWDC. I do hope anyways.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Should be permanent. Not everyone can get to an Apple Store and everyone can get to Amazon.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Should be permanent. Not everyone can get to an Apple Store and everyone can get to Amazon.

And Amazon makes you purchase $35 worth of product to get free Super Saver shipping (which can be quite slow, and doesn't mesh with Apple's customer service goals).  How does your logic explain why Apple should give free shipping for a $10 cable year round?

• Reply 4 of 9

Apple needs to charge for shipping just like everybody else.  They are a business, and a business that wants to remain profitable.  Sure it's nice to speculate and lay claim to how deserving the consumer is of free shipping from Apple because there is not an Apple store within a 100 mile radius.  If you are that remote, you might not even have internet access.  If you don't have internet access, you don't have Amazon.  If you don't have Amazon, this point you were trying to make is invalid.  

• Reply 5 of 9
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Now, if only there were something I needed to buy. :)

• Reply 6 of 9
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

And Amazon makes you purchase $35 worth of product to get free Super Saver shipping (which can be quite slow, and doesn't mesh with Apple's customer service goals).  How does your logic explain why Apple should give free shipping for a $10 cable year round?

Not true.  Many items less than $35 qualify for free shipping on Amazon.  I guess it depends where you live, but their super saver shipping is quite fast, less than a week for delivery by USPS.  Apple's cheapest cable is $19.

• Reply 7 of 9
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Everyone can also get to a local electronics store for a low cost item and save on the shipping.

• Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Not true.  Many items less than $35 qualify for free shipping on Amazon.  I guess it depends where you live, but their super saver shipping is quite fast, less than a week for delivery by USPS.  Apple's cheapest cable is $19.

Well since we're just being silly now I found two different cables at Apple.com that are only 14.95 and ship for free.  I'm not aware of any products sold by or fulfilled by Amazon that have free shipping when the order total is under $35.  I could easily be wrong since they sell millions of items, but would you link one (or just say the product name if a link won't post to AI) just so I can be aware?  

• Reply 9 of 9
    jfr001jfr001 Posts: 1member
    Hey, I don't know how you got this information ?
    Apple Store's main web page (US) still says "Get free shipping direct to your door on all orders over $50".
    I chatted with an Apple Associate and asked for free shipping under $50 and she told me "we don't have such promotion".
    She redirected me to the page about promotions on Apple's web site and indeed this promotion isn't mentioned.
    Strange, uh ?