Apple scuttlebutt spurs Samsung to seek sapphire solutions for smartphones

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The entire OS and all the included apps were 64-bit from days one. 

Thats pretty sad then, and not good news for Apple. Android is going to get faster across the board (via ART runtime), and Apple is already maxed out apparently. 

Apple is running out of feathers in it's cap. It used to have the biggest app store...now that talking point is gone. It used to have the smoothest UI...that talking point is gone. It used to have the best battery life...that one has been gone for a while. It used to have the best display...the S5 killed that (unless you count PPI, which even my ancient Rezound kills). Get ready to move those goalposts yet again. 

• Reply 82 of 124
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Someone on the Internet has a personality disorder. Please, seek professional help.
  • Reply 83 of 124
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Someone on the Internet has a personality disorder. Please, seek professional help.

If you continue personal attacks against Tallest Skil like that I will be forced to report you. 

• Reply 84 of 124
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Thats pretty sad then, and not good news for Apple. Android is going to get faster across the board (via ART runtime), and Apple is already maxed out apparently. 

Right, so Apple has apparently stopped all chip development and iOS 7 is the last mobile OS they will ever issue. All these rumors about some iOS 8 being introduced next month, and an iPhone 6 coming out in the fall, apparently before any 64-bit Android phones come out, are just evidence of Apple being maxed out.

Quote:

Apple is running out of feathers in it's cap. It used to have the biggest app store...now that talking point is gone.

The Play Store didn't have enough malware or live wallpapers to satisfy demand, but things really stepped up as of late.

Quote:

It used to have the smoothest UI...that talking point is gone.

Yeah, every Android phone I've ever tried doesn't judder at all ... really! Smooth, buttery action that just makes you want to lick something!

Quote:

It used to have the best battery life...that one has been gone for a while.

It never had the best battery life. Totally sucks, man! My Nokia feature phone had 400 hours of standby time, and the iPhone couldn't beat that!

Quote:

It used to have the best display...the S5 killed that (unless you count PPI, which even my ancient Rezound kills).

Gawd, I love them hyperamped AMOLED colors! Makes my selfies look like I'm wearing a fresh layer of spray tanner! White levels and being able to read stuff when the sun's still out is way overrated. 

Quote:

Get ready to move those goalposts yet again. 

I wanted to help out, but you already moved 'em. Bastard.

• Reply 85 of 124
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    jeffdenver wrote: »
    If you continue personal attacks against Tallest Skil like that I will be forced to report you. 

Personal attacks against Tallest Skil aren't my department.
  • Reply 86 of 124
    Nothing new. Sapphire has been used for decades as an antiscratch surface. Most of your embedded grocery scanners use it. You know, the piece of glass you slide your products over.
  • Reply 87 of 124
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

The whole issue was about how Android is all just about specs...what is the point of advertising a 64-bit CPU if the vast majority of apps and/or the UI itself do not even leverage it yet? If Android did that, Apple people would call it a gimmick. 

I agree that "Apple people" would call it a gimmick if Android did it.  But Android didn't do it.  Apple did.  So here you are, an Android fan, doing what you said Apple fans would do- calling it a gimmick.  It is not- it actually improves the speed and performance of the device.  What is the point of advertising a 64-bit CPU if.....  You are kidding, right?  It is a *differentiator*  Apple has it.  Android doesn't.  Of course they are going to promote it.  And Apple marketing is freakin' brilliant.  But just because something has brilliant marketing doesn't mean the product itself doesn't have merit.  The more Apple can make the conversation about '64-bit' the more they win- and Android sites and fans fall into that conversation easily.  Apple has a great marketing team with a *great* product.

Quote:

All has nothing to do with it. The iPhone 5S already delivers increased performance today by using the new ISA. That's a fact. If the iPhone with everything else being equal in HW was still running 32-bit it would perform worse.

I agree with you on this, and that was in fact my point.  64-bit has already proven its merit *now*  I do also believe it is just at the start of showing off its benefit.  Apple is well poised to launch future rocketships.

Quote:

His "proof" that the iPhone is slower with 64-bit is ridiculous on multiple scales. Besides not comparing the same OSes at 32 and 64-bit he's also not even coming close to comparing the same HW. The Galaxy has to use beefier HW to even play in the same pool and therefore has to use a much larger battery to maintain any equivalency to battery life. We're talking a 2.45GHz CPU with 2 GiB RAM with a 2800 mAh battery compared to the iPhone 5S's 1.3Ghz with 1 GiB RAM and a 1450 mAh battery and yet the device from 2013 still trounces the Galaxy phone in comparable processing tests despite it being a newly released device. On top of that you have that first test in that video he thinks "proves" the iPhone sucks showing the Flickr app loading faster on the iPhone. Twice.

On this I disagree with you on a few points.  The two devices are far from 'copying' each other on at least this issue, but I don't think either side gets to pick and choose the elements that favor their device and say anything else shouldn't count.  I think devices get to use whatever they have 'as delivered.'  If Apple had the capability and actually delivered their existing device with their CPU at 2.45GHz, 2 GiB RAM, and a 2800 mAh battery- it most likely would have blown the competition out of the water.  But they didn't.   If Samsung delivered all that beefy hardware on a 64-bit platform with 64-bit apps, they may have completely smoked the 5s.  But they didn't.   If you are doing a speed test between a Lamborghini and a Ducati motorcycle, the Ducati fan doesn't get to say the Lambo needs to remove two tires in order to make the race comparably representative or that the Ducati is faster 'per tire.'  The iPhone is faster 'per core.'  So what?  In that case, the Samsung is faster 'per bit.'  It just doesn't matter.  Its about what happens when you have what you have in your hands, turn it on, and start doing stuff.

On the flip side, posting speed tests of the 5s running 32 bit apps is dubious at best.  It is capable of running 64-bit apps and so it is absolutely fair game to compare the 5s' 64-bit app speeds to 32-bit android speeds.  If Apple only had a handful of 64-bit apps there might be an argument- but they have tons of them.  Get over it Android fans and stop trying to skew reality to what you *wish* were true.

I like that video. because all I see is two great phones.  The S5 is newer and *should* be a bit faster, but it by no means is leaving the older 5s in the dust- and the 5s clearly wins a few too.

Hopefully the 6 is just a monster performance-wise.

• Reply 88 of 124
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Hilarious considering we were just now talking about spec overkill. 1080p displays are not necessary...but 64-bit processors that don't do anything are vital, and worth advertising. Ok. 

They do a good job at processing audio and video, oh and a fingerprint scanner that is actually useful.

• Reply 89 of 124
    Quote:

ORLY? What percentage of Apple apps are currently making use of that 64-bit processor?

It's sure not helping with app loading speed. This cheap Android phone can already beat it. 

Let's see it load 64bit Apps like this:-

• Reply 90 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Apparently Fandroids forgets that Android not only copies iOS but also Jailbroken iOS and OS X

...and even Lisa.

• Reply 91 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpd514 View Post

It's a NO GAME for the patent troll Apple.

Apple used the sapphire glass for the camera lens cover and fingerprint recognition home button for the first time in the world, but it was China’s Gionee that attempted to use it as front cover glass. Earlier this year Gionee launched a new product using sapphire as cover glass. More recently Shaoni announced its ambitious plan to use sapphire in its new smartphone

Vertu has been using sapphire for years, their latest touchscreen models still use it.

• Reply 92 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Personal attacks against Tallest Skil aren't my department.

That’s right; Suddenly’s in accounting.

I think I fired the PA guys. :p 

• Reply 93 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    frood wrote: »
    I agree that "Apple people" would call it a gimmick if Android did it.  But Android didn't do it.  Apple did.  So here you are, an Android fan, doing what you said Apple fans would do- calling it a gimmick.

It would be a gimmick on Android if released today because of the virtual machine that sits atop the Linux OS. As far as I know the entire stack hasn't been converted to run on 64-bit. Apple did this out of the gate. Seemless, but then again Apple has plenty of experience with architecture changes so anything less would be suspect.
    On this I disagree with you on a few points.  The two devices are far from 'copying' each other on at least this issue, but I don't think either side gets to pick and choose the elements that favor their device and say anything else shouldn't count.  I think devices get to use whatever they have 'as delivered.'  If Apple had the capability and actually delivered their existing device with their CPU at 2.45GHz, 2 GiB RAM, and a 2800 mAh battery- it most likely would have blown the competition out of the water.  But they didn't.   If Samsung delivered all that beefy hardware on a 64-bit platform with 64-bit apps, they may have completely smoked the 5s.  But they didn't.   If you are doing a speed test between a Lamborghini and a Ducati motorcycle, the Ducati fan doesn't get to say the Lambo needs to remove two tires in order to make the race comparably representative or that the Ducati is faster 'per tire.'  The iPhone is faster 'per core.'  So what?  In that case, the Samsung is faster 'per bit.'  It just doesn't matter.  Its about what happens when you have what you have in your hands, turn it on, and start doing stuff.

Are you really saying Apple couldn't have doubled the RAM, doubled the cores and nearly doubled the clock rate (because that doesn't sound like you) 't course they could do all that if they wanted to. They don't because it's power expense that simply isn't needed to achieve the fastest overall performance of any smartphone. To suggest they are incapable of doubling the RAM and adding a big ass brick of a battery to power it makes no sense.

Apple has an excellent history of balancing features, not simply focusing on one and then foregoing the rest because it's currently trendy with the superficially focused tech crowd. Apple didn't do OLED just because it was a buzzword. Apple didn't do quad-core just because it was a buzzword. Apple didn't do biometrics just because it was a buzzword.
    On the flip side, posting speed tests of the 5s running 32 bit apps is dubious at best.  It is capable of running 64-bit apps and so it is absolutely fair game to compare the 5s' 64-bit app speeds to 32-bit android speeds.  If Apple only had a handful of 64-bit apps there might be an argument- but they have tons of them.  Get over it Android fans and stop trying to skew reality to what you *wish* were true.

I like that video. because all I see is two great phones.  The S5 is newer and *should* be a bit faster, but it by no means is leaving the older 5s in the dust- and the 5s clearly wins a few too.

Hopefully the 6 is just a monster performance-wise.

I didn't even consider if the version of Flickr on the iPhone 5S was running as 32-bit but it's a moot point because it launched faster. What it didn't do faster was load all the images offscreen as noted by the moving Flickr icon but that is more likely a network speed issue but we can't test it because that info was given.
  • Reply 94 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdenver wrote: »

It's funny how the Android camp is always saying "just you wait and see. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! It's gonna be awesome sauce." Yet you never consider that Apple is working on advancements, too, which is why year-after-year they keep pulling further and further away which is why AnandTech has the iPhone 5 from 2012 trouncing the Galaxy S5 in many tests. For some inexplicable reason you people think that because Apple doesn't flaunt vaporware it means they aren't doing anything. This is why year-after-year you keep losing and why year-after-year you will keep getting more and more bitter.

PS: At least you have a fingerprint biometric on the Galaxy S5 that's so impressive it requires the same action with your finger as one would use to scrap Android dogshit off your shoe.
  • Reply 95 of 124
    Why are people wasting time responding to that troll JeffDenver? I've owned his a$$ countless times on BGR and now I see he's up to his usual tricks again. All he'll do is post a bunch of garbage and run away like the little coward he is. It's his MO.
  • Reply 96 of 124
    tomdritomdri Posts: 18member
    I'ld like to see Samsung mouths drop when Apple comes out with its liquid metal. They'll be a lot of liquid plastic in their boxers crying about how to follow that.
  • Reply 97 of 124
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

LOL, this is what it is always like on Apple forums. Patting each other on the back. It's like a cult. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

"It's like a cult." 

Jeez. Can't you be original? 

Quote:

Yes. Thats what kept me out of the Apple cult. 

No. That's what kept you following the anti-Apple cult.

Naaa, its for the entertainment value. Lots to laugh at  .. like reality-TV. Get it ?

• Reply 98 of 124
    Watch now as Apple introduces a completely [B]*different*[/B] product. Perhaps corrective eyeglasses.

Sapphire has a huge refractive index, so it would make a great lens material for eyeglasses. The trouble has been the need to customize the shape, as sapphire isn't easily machined, as glass and plastic are. However, a flexible sapphire coating would be [I]awesome[/I] and could be laminated onto a lens of the right shape for various prescriptions, producing a lightweight and very scratch resistant lens. Didn't Apple just hire a bunch of designers of fashion products and jewelry? They could be busy designing a variety of Apple-brand frames for the glasses. Perhaps made out of liquidmetal, another Apple-licensed product.

No, I'm not talking about "smart glasses", I mean just plain prescription glasses. The market is [I]huge! [/I] But once the others (e.g., google) get the problems of "smart eyewear" identified, Apple could enter that market, too, with a game-changing solution.

Cook said Apple was interested in wearable technology. He didn't mention what [I]type[/I] of technology. ;)
  • Reply 99 of 124
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Watch now as Apple introduces a completely *different* product. Perhaps corrective eyeglasses.

Sapphire has a huge refractive index, so it would make a great lens material for eyeglasses. The trouble has been the need to customize the shape, as sapphire isn't easily machined, as glass and plastic are. However, a flexible sapphire coating would be awesome and could be laminated onto a lens of the right shape for various prescriptions, producing a lightweight and very scratch resistant lens. Didn't Apple just hire a bunch of designers of fashion products and jewelry? They could be busy designing a variety of Apple-brand frames for the glasses. Perhaps made out of liquidmetal, another Apple-licensed product.

No, I'm not talking about "smart glasses", I mean just plain prescription glasses. The market is huge! But once the others (e.g., google) get the problems of "smart eyewear" identified, Apple could enter that market, too, with a game-changing solution.

Cook said Apple was interested in wearable technology. He didn't mention what type of technology. image

First off, Apple isn't using the Sapphire for a "coating", they are using it as a lens cover for the camera and supposedly as a replacement for Gorilla Glass. Eyewear? No. I highly doubt that.

Apple also doesn't have the licensing for Liquidmetal for eyewear.  They have it for electronic devices like smartphones, etc.

I know that the market for subscription glasses is HUGE, but the biggest player in that arena is Luxottica, which owns LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Target Optical, Sears Optical, etc. etc. etc., SunGlass Hut.  Luxottica owns Arnette, Oakley, Ray Ban, ESS, Oliver Peoples, Persol, and makes frames under license for just about everyone else.