Rumor: Apple once again said to be strongly considering ARM-based Macs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2015
Apple's most popular computing devices, from the iPhone and iPad to MacBook Pro and iMac, could all be powered by the same ARM-based processors, if the company were to decide to make such a switch, according to a new report.

A7
Apple's latest A7 SoC. | Source: Chipworks

Citing a "reliable" source, French Apple enthusiast site MacBidouille reported this weekend that Apple is exploring new ARM-powered Macs that would feature a "large format" Magic Trackpad built into the keyboard. Apple is said to be far along in development of these machines, but is "reluctant" to make the switch too early and hurt its Mac lineup.

The systems are said to be running a "completely equivalent" OS X operating system in ARM, with several prototype machines already said to have been developed. Interestingly, these machines are said to rely on multiple ARM CPUs, each with multiple cores.

Specifically, it was said that Apple has developed an iMac desktop with four or eight 64-bit quad-core CPUs, while a Mac mini is said to have been made with four such cores. In addition, it was claimed that Apple has developed a 13-inch MacBook sporting up to eight 64-bit quad-core ARM chips.

a7-performance-20131009.jpg
Apple's SVP of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller introduces the A7 system-on-chip.

Of course, Apple already made a switch along these lines once, in a massive transition from IBM's PowerPC chips to Intel's line of processors. That switch proved beneficial to Apple, allowing its machines to run Windows and also tapping into Intel's speedier chips, and as a result Mac sales went to new highs.

As for ARM-based Macs, rumors of such machines floating around in Apple's secretive labs have existed for some time. One three-year old report claimed that Apple had built a MacBook Air powered by the same A5 chip as the iPad 2.

In the subsequent years since that rumor, Apple's custom mobile processors found in the iPhone and iPad have only become more powerful. The company's latest silicon, the A7 that powers the iPad Air, iPhone 5s and Retina iPad mini, is a 64-bit chip that's been called a "desktop-class" processor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    This rumour again? Good grief. No, Apple will not move any Macs to ARM technology. Why? Windows compatibility. One of the strongest arguments against Macs in the PowerPC age was that they could run Windows applications. A move to Intel killed that argument. No Macs are mixed into Windows environments will incredible ease. Switching away from Intel on some models would confuse the market. It would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. There is zero real benefit to moving to ARM with the Mac.

Take a look at the Windows platform. How well is Windows RT doing?
  • Reply 2 of 130

Why wouldn't they make the move to ARM? Clearly they have plans to do so otherwise they wouldn't have machines already running in the labs. It's just a matter of time, I'd stake money on it happening.

• Reply 3 of 130
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post

This rumour again? Good grief. No, Apple will not move any Macs to ARM technology. Why? Windows compatibility. One of the strongest arguments against Macs in the PowerPC age was that they could run Windows applications. A move to Intel killed that argument. No Macs are mixed into Windows environments will incredible ease. Switching away from Intel on some models would confuse the market. It would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. There is zero real benefit to moving to ARM with the Mac.

As someone who has had 4 operating systems running on a single Mac, I sympathise with your position. I also had Windoze running very successfully on my 12" PowerPC PowerBook (remember those) however and in fact, in what I was using it for which required a USB <----> RS232C dongle, it was 100% reliable. However, perhaps it is time to move on (although I am not necessarily arguing for the move as I do not understand fully the implications). Some benefits might be, a code base that converges with iOS and the efficiency gains contingent with that and also, greater self-determination. I believe that Apple was badly let down toward the end of the PowerPC era with processor development on their behalf failing badly. Perhaps Intel's processor developments too are headed in a direction that will not favour Apple before too long. Another advantage would be greater scope in specific system variants, beyond iOS and Mac OS X both. The time is coming I think.

• Reply 4 of 130
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    guytoronto wrote: »

I'm sure Apple tests lots of things in their labs. They would be stupid not to. And I wouldn't be surprised if we get a fanless ARM based Mac notebook, one that has retina display and 24 hour battery life. That would be awesome.
  • Reply 5 of 130
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Why not. Nobody thought Apple could move to Intel because of the technical issues (big endian, little endian topic). And they did - seamlessly. 

To me, over 35 years, Apple is a company that performs miracles. 

And why not move on, as someone said? This is the world of tablets now. 

In our household, we all had MacBooks over the years.

Now we have one MacBook, iPhones, Kindle Fires (great device, BTW), and now I use an Acer Chromebook (awesome laptop). We only need a MacBook for iTunes. Even my daughter only uses iPhone 99% of the time.

No longer really need Windows or OS X too much. 

The world is really diversified and the ball is in Apple's court to make Windows incompatible Macs - if that is the case.

And why can't Apple make a Bootcamp equivalent system on a different processor?

Really, Apple does perform miracles. 

I'm not an Apple fanboy (anymore), since I use Android/Chrome OS most of the day, but agnostic. Also have an Android based e-Ink reader (Nook Simple Touch).

I bet an Apple based ARM OS world would blow people's socks off. And they would be cheaper???

P

• Reply 6 of 130
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    @pfisher. Boot camp just enables Windows to boot on a Mac. The processor is x86 so natively runs windows and windows software. Getting such OS and software to run on ARM is a massive undertaking. I know that Windows on Mac was a big requirement especially for corporates where the C exec want a MacBook for looks but still had to run Windows. Times have changed though and especially with the increased use of Citrix and other such technology the base OS is less important.

I guess Apple knows the stats for who is running Windows (either as Bootcamp or via other software such as Parallels) and could make a judgement call.

Reality is that Apple have proved that developing their own ARM based processors gives them a massive technology advantage in phone/tablet space so moving to this on their notebook platforms must be a serious consideration.
  • Reply 7 of 130
    emrulemrul Posts: 26member
    Perhaps an updated Mac Mini with ARM CPUs in store. All sounds very exciting but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on being able to run BootCamp just yet.
  • Reply 8 of 130
    wwchriswwchris Posts: 60member
    Yup, unfortunately, remove the ability to run windows natively and I would have to leave the Mac behind. I may not need to use windows often, but when I do, it is essential. Moving to the intel chipset was the only reason I was able to go back to using macs.
  • Reply 9 of 130
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Of course, Apple already made a switch along these lines once, in a massive transition from IBM's PowerPC chips to Intel's line of processors. That switch proved beneficial to Apple, allowing its machines to run Windows and also tapping into Intel's speedier chips, and as a result Mac sales went to new highs.

No, three times. From Apple II 6502 family of processors to the 68000 of the Macintosh to the PPC to Intel and now to ARM.
  • Reply 10 of 130
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member
    An ARM based Mac would have a Mac OS that natively runs both Mac apps and iOS apps in the same environment. Which means a MacBook Air that is both the iPad and the Mac. In other words, the true answer to Steve Jobs question.

What would happen if a MacBook and an iPad hooked up?

Apple Special Event - 2nd Generation MacBook Air Introduction

A MacBook Air/iPad hybrid would basically be a 12 inch iPad Pro that would have a MacBook Air keyboard dock with a glass track pad.

A 256GB Retina iPad Pro LTE with a Wacom digitizer, and a Macbook Air keyboard dock with a glass track pad, would be the dream machine.

Logically, Apple would extend its multi-touch UI to desktop Mac apps through the acquisition of Parallels to run both Mac and Windows desktop apps with Parallels Access built in.

Introducing Parallels Access

All Things Digital: Controlling a PC or Mac, iPad-Style
    http://allthingsd.com/20130827/controlling-a-pc-or-mac-ipad-style/
  • Reply 11 of 130
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    guytoronto wrote: »

You're missing some major aspects of the discussion. Ask yourself:

• How many Mac users use Bootcamp or a VM so they can run Windows?
    • How many sub-$1000 MacBook Airs are being used as Windows computers?
    • How would an entry-level, low-cost, ARM-based Mac hurt Mac adoption more over having Macs that only run expensive Intel Core chips if all processing power isn't needed by entry level users and the biggest hurdle is cost, not the ability to use Windows in 2014?

Personally, I know very few and of the half dozen or so that do run Windows on a Mac for testing purposes they are all what I'd describe as power users who would not be in the market to replace their MacBook Pro with a $700-800 12" MacBook Air that runs on ARM as they are completely different customer types.
  • Reply 12 of 130
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wwchris wrote: »
    Yup, unfortunately, remove the ability to run windows natively and I would have to leave the Mac behind. I may not need to use windows often, but when I do, it is essential. Moving to the intel chipset was the only reason I was able to go back to using macs.

So if they put an ARM chip in a low-cost, machine running Mac OS X and you'll the Mac behind even though it doesn't change the processor on any of the other Macs? How does that make sense to you?
  • Reply 13 of 130
    appexappex Posts: 687member

The main problem is incompatibility with the rest of the world (read Windows and Linux on Intel x86). Hopefully Apple will keep the Mac x86, or they will repeat previous catastrophic mistakes. In such a case, the only way would be migrating to Windows.

Actually, what Apple should do is just the opposite: eventually migrating iOS to the x86.

• Reply 14 of 130
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member
    No Way!!!
    Keep well away from anything Microsoft!!!!
    If anyone is relying on Windows still, that is there lookout.
  • Reply 15 of 130
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Why not. Nobody thought Apple could move to Intel because of the technical issues (big endian, little endian topic). And they did - seamlessly. 

endianness didn't cause anyone to thing PPC to Intel wasn't possible.

rather, it was a deep dislike of Intel in reference to the mhz myth - RISC vs. CISC showed the large efficiency gains in the processor architecture that was 15 years newer, but Intel and Microsoft were able to squash the actual performances differences by marketing 1, 2 and 3 ghz processor speeds, ignoring the lack of performance gains and supporting the marketing fluff.

Furthermore, the real reason Apple had to switch is that Moto was dying and IBM was viewing Apple as an after thought - the G5's lack of development showed IBM's cards in terms of not developing the processors more for Apple.  IBM went for embedded processors with PPC and very special cases like the Playstation. Apple was being ignored as a customer (in terms of being able to keep up with the marketing of Intel) ...remember the last G5s?? they were simply over clocked  and super fanned noise boxes. 

• Reply 16 of 130
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    The writer of this article ain't never heard of the Mororola 68000 based Mac. So therefore, the original 128K Mac must have used PowerPC chips!
  • Reply 17 of 130
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The writer of this article ain't never heard of the Mororola 68000 based Mac. So therefore, the original 128K Mac must have used PowerPC chips!

Long live Mode32 and dirty ROMs!

• Reply 18 of 130
    gregnacugregnacu Posts: 29member

I think this rumor will make more sense when we see what's coming in OS X 10.10. 

I think it's distinctly possible that Apple will release something that runs "OS X" with a physical keyboard and trackpad, that runs on ARM.  If there are a tonne of people who love and use iPads, and iPads are on ARM, why wouldn't it be possible for a subset of "Macs" to run on ARM? No one cares about running Windows on their iPad.  This makes me wonder whether they could perhaps brand an ARM "Mac" as something different.  Something that makes it distinct, like "MacPad" but not that specifically. Maybe "Mac Light", or maybe even the WHOLE "air" category could switch to ARM, and the "air" would make the distinction.

Regardless, if they did this, they'd end up with 2 types of Mac.  The new Mac Pro didn't just get designed for nothing.  It would definitely stay on x86, and so would highend MacBook Pros.

Given that XCode made it (relatively) straight forward to compile fat binaries for PPC/Intel, they could resurrect that and make it relatively easy to compile fat binaries for Intel/ARM.  It's part of the Mach binary format for a reason!

• Reply 19 of 130
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're missing some major aspects of the discussion. Ask yourself:

• How many Mac users use Bootcamp or a VM so they can run Windows?

• How many sub-$1000 MacBook Airs are being used as Windows computers?

• How would an entry-level, low-cost, ARM-based Mac hurt Mac adoption more over having Macs that only run expensive Intel Core chips if all processing power isn't needed by entry level users and the biggest hurdle is cost, not the ability to use Windows in 2014?

Personally, I know very few and of the half dozen or so that do run Windows on a Mac for testing purposes they are all what I'd describe as power users who would not be in the market to replace their MacBook Pro with a $700-800 12" MacBook Air that runs on ARM as they are completely different customer types.

Nail on the head. Apple was always criticized for not being upgradable and yet I remember reading many years ago that only a tiny percentage of people (Windows users included) ever did upgrade anything at all on their computers. Windows compatibility is important but the ability to run Windows on your Mac is less important. Specially, as you say, on a MBA or similar. The number of people who buy MBAs to run Windows exclusively must be tiny.

• Reply 20 of 130

Why is the assumption always that ARM would have to replace Intel? Is there any reason that certain apps and parts of the OS couldn't be compiled for both architectures, and the motherboard contains both? Just like the GPU can be switched to low power integrated when the task allows, and switched to the higher power discreet as needed, the ARM chip could do most of the basic stuff, at very low power, and then hand off to the intel chip when needed? I can even imagine something similar to the new FTL compiler for Safari, so code is compiled first for ARM, and when parts need more power they are JIT compiled for Intel, with the Intel CPU handling the compile so it happens fast.

Aren't they already doing a bit of this with GrandCentralDispatch and OpenCL? Where the actual bare metal code is compiled on the machine for the specific CPU/GPU environment available? And, added benefit, when running on wall power, the machine is now an 8 core machine, and certain "background" tasks could go to ARM while Intel does the heavy lifting. And all PowerNap functionality would be ARM, to minimize drain while not actively working.

I am layman to be sure, so if there is some fundamental law of the universe that makes this not possible, be gentle. ;)

Gordon