Apple focuses on music creation, travel writing in latest 'Your Verse' iPad ads

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2014
Apple on Sunday released two new spots for its "Your Verse" iPad campaign touting the tablet's music creation and travelogue capabilities with stories from composer Esa-Pekka Salonen and travel writer Cherie King.

Composer and principal conductor of the Philharmonia Orchestra in London.

Along with the new tales, Apple rejiggered its Your Verse webpage layout to include more text and videos, while taking away interactive graphs and timelines seen in previous installments. In addition, Apple now includes apps featured in each verse and, in Salonen's case, iTunes exclusive music.

In "Orchestrating Sound," composer and conductor Salonen explains how he and his colleagues created The Orchestra, an app that "demystifies" orchestral music for the masses. Using realtime audio, video and an interactive score, the app lets users explore eight pieces from masters like Haydn, Beethoven, Mahler and Stravinsky.

"All of a sudden, what looks kind of odd and distant and maybe a little abstract becomes much more real and normal," Salonen said of his app. "I'd be delighted if somebody would discover classical music through The Orchestra."

Salonen goes on to talk about how he uses the iPad Air, along with a handful of select apps, to create classical compositions. The process begins by using Pianist Pro to play snippets of music into composition software on the Mac. Salonen then transports his work in progress back to the iPad via Notion and uses the app's playback function to run through the piece without needing to assemble an entire orchestra.

"I have this total freedom to go back and forth between my full studio and the most portable setup I can imagine," Salonen said.

Apple includes a link to a special iTunes page dedicated to Salonen's Your Verse story, which includes a full version of the composer's Violin Concerto and apps used in the ad spot.

The second ad, "Exploring Without Limits," focuses on travel author Cherie King, who was born with no hearing in both ears. Her work serves to inspire other hearing-impaired travelers to venture out and discover the world.

"I've met countless deaf people, and they all tell me how brave I am for traveling," King said. "But now that they've read my site, they realize they can do it too."

Travel writer Cherie King.

With the iPad Air by her side, King embraces getting lost in new places. Using AroundMe, Fotopedia, and tripwolf, King is able to navigate and discover nearby places of interest with relative ease.

Translation duties are handled by apps like BabelDeck, while King uses Apple's bundled iOS apps -- Maps, Messages, Camera, FaceTime and Notes -- to navigate and stay in touch with friends. WordPress is also highlighted in the ad as a way to write and upload posts to King's webpage Flight of the Travel Bee.

As with Salonen's story, Apple has included a dedicated iTunes page for King's feature featuring apps used in the ad alongside the author's favorite titles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    So are the two videos posted here, TV commercials? Because I didn't see these two particular videos on the Your-verse site earlier today.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    These ads are works of art. But my wife's comment after watching the "Gigantic" one today was: "I couldn't figure out what this was an ad for." Not sure this campaign is the best one for a time when other tablets are gaining ground. I don't know what is, but that's why the ad people get the big bucks.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    These ads are works of art. But my wife's comment after watching the "Gigantic" one today was: "I couldn't figure out what this was an ad for." Not sure this campaign is the best one for a time when other tablets are gaining ground. I don't know what is, but that's why the ad people get the big bucks.
    I thought the gigantic ad was for the iPhone?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I thought the gigantic ad was for the iPhone?

I think that music (Gigantic) is cringe-worthy. Absolutely ruins the visuals in what is otherwise a fine ad.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

These ads are utterly beautiful - both in terms of visuals, and the story they tell. The iPad truly is an insanely versatile yet utterly mobile device. 

• Reply 6 of 14
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    For every orchestral composition made on an iPad, there must be thousands of rap songs created in garage band on iPad. :p
  • Reply 7 of 14
    bengbeng Posts: 34member
    My 15 yr old grandson asked me to "hum something". I rasped off several notes and he played them back to me. Then he isolated the first sound, called up the keyboard, and made up a melody using that raspy sound (watch out Willy Nelson). Then he added drum licks, background chords, harmony, guitar strumming...

In 5 minutes he has created an ensemble with an original tune and a voice nobody ever heard before that sounded as good as any pop music you hear.

Grand Pa
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Apple's Ad Agency is out of touch. It is World Cup time and apple needs to show sports/soccer related ads.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    mubaili wrote: »
    Apple's Ad Agency is out of touch. It is World Cup time and apple needs to show sports/soccer related ads.

Or they are completely in touch and realize that just because you are obsessed with sports and the World Cup, not everyone is.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    "Gigantic" is for the iPhone.

A World Cup video is too exclusive; there are more people that don't care about the World Cup than those that do.

The level of versatility and understanding demonstrated in these videos in relation to how to most advantageously use the product shown Apple is very confident in its consumers' knowledge and ability to interact with their tech, with Apple tech.

This leaves little room for argument that Apple users are not savvy enough to understand how to add or upgrade their own memory cards. If people are developing apps for orchestras, or uploading globe-trotting activities to blogs, they most certainly grasp the merit of being able to upgrade the memory on their phones--and possessing the ability to do so with ease.

I'm an Apple fan, but the days of selling fixed memory in Apple tech have got to go.

I love how these videos respect Apple users. But c'mon Apple: respect us enough to stop milking the memory cow and let us upgrade as we see fit. We'll all love you more for it!
  • Reply 11 of 14

"Gigantic" is for the iPhone. A World Cup video is too exclusive; there are more people that don't care about the World Cup than those that do. The level of versatility and understanding demonstrated in these videos in relation to how to most advantageously use the product shown Apple is very confident in its consumers' knowledge and ability to interact with their tech, with Apple tech. This leaves little room for argument that Apple users are not savvy enough to understand how to add or upgrade their own memory cards. If people are developing apps for orchestras, or uploading globe-trotting activities to blogs, they most certainly grasp the merit of being able to upgrade the memory on their phones--and possessing the ability to do so with ease. I'm an Apple fan, but the days of selling fixed memory in Apple tech have got to go. I love how these videos respect Apple users. But c'mon Apple: respect us enough to stop milking the memory cow and let us upgrade as we see fit. We'll all love you more for it!

• Reply 12 of 14
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Who cares about "Verse"?

The average bankrupt college student can barely speak English let understand the meaning of "Verse'.

• Reply 13 of 14
    philkyphilky Posts: 20member
    These are typical marketing stories about a product's "use cases" and are well put together by Apple. But in practice Cherie would be better off doing her travel writing with Microsoft's Surface with a real keyboard and built in productivity tools like Office! That's the main reason why I gave up my new iPad Air for the Surface RT!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jdizzlejdizzle Posts: 3member
    As a travel writer and editor myself, the ipad, or any tablet doesn't really work. You see her doing a lot of stuff in the video, but not actually writing except a few notes here and there or touch typing some message. It looks like she is touch typing for a second, at what, 10 words per minute? How about copying and pasting and editing a work for submission to a publication. Also, nobody is taking pics on their ipad and submitting it. Any photos we pay for are taken with a DSLR camera. You simply can't get a good range of photos on a tablet, you can't even get great ones on the higher mp camera phones.

Also, if she is truly traveling where she is in remote areas of foreign countries, wifi and data plans aren't going to work, if they are it will be outrageous. The fact that ipad is terrible for storing local documents makes it a poor device.

I have nothing against apple products, the ipad is not the device you want for serious mobile work though.
    Now an Iphone Macbook air 11 DSLR camera that does photo/video? That is a good combination.