Every new iPhone and iPad expected to ship with Touch ID in 2014

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Apple is expected to include its Touch ID fingerprint sensor technology in all new iPhone and iPad devices introduced this year, one analyst says, which will grow shipments of the package to some 120 million in 2014.

According to noted KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple is planning to embed Touch ID in every non-iPod iOS device launched this year, including both iPhone 6 versions, the second-generation iPad Air and refreshed iPad mini with Retina display.

In a research note obtained by AppleInsider, Kuo goes on to say that Apple will switch up chemicals used in Touch ID module production to boost durability, possibly moving to tin as applied with Japan Unix's laser welding equipment.

As for manufacturing, Apple partner Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. is said to be the go-to foundry for Touch ID production, with redistribution layer services covered by XinTec and WLCSP and packaging going to ASE. ASE and Sharp will be responsible for the module itself, while welding equipment is to be furnished by Japan Unix through Taiwanese agent Sunnic.

Overall, strong iOS device sales are estimated to grow Touch ID module shipments from 36 million in 2013 to 120 million and 233 million in 2014 and 2015, respectively. The numbers represent respective year-over-year increases in production of 233 percent and 94 percent.

The analyst's prediction comes one month after code discovered in iOS 7.1 pointed to an as yet unannounced iPad implementation of Touch ID. Apple's fingerprint scanning tech was first introduced last year alongside the iPhone 5s, which remains the only product to use the advanced biometric security hardware.

While it has been widely speculated that Apple will implement sapphire displays in its upcoming iPhone lineup, Touch ID has been overlooked as a major component that requires the hard material. Sapphire yields from the company's Arizona plant, operated in partnership with GT Advanced Technologies, are unknown, though it can be speculated that a large amount of output will be earmarked for fingerprint sensor cover glass.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Duh.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Well duh? Ya think?
  • Reply 3 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If we're going to be this silly why don't we widen the net even further: Apple To Ship Updated Products in 2014
  • Reply 4 of 41
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Personally, I would like this obvious outcome to add something interesting, like changing the profile of the iPhone/iPad depending on who activates it using Touch ID.

So when the kids get given it as a modern day pacifier, it would automatically open up with restrictions that aren't there if mum was to put her pinky on it.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If we're going to be this silly why don't we widen the net even further: Apple To Ship Updated Products in 2014

In other news... water is expected to be wet tomorrow.

• Reply 6 of 41
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So many times I've been caught out holding my finger on the home button of my iPad waiting expectantly for it to unlock.

After getting used to it on my iPhone 5s it is something I would upgrade for.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Most of them with the Apple logo on them...

• Reply 8 of 41
    Now that I know Touch ID is going to be installed onto the new iPads I'll going to make sure to sell my old one for cash and use the money for the new coming in a few months.

FYI: While google searching I found this site called RecomHub. It was like a KAYAK site but for reselling your Apple devices. It compared all the companies that will buy back your iPad or iPhone and shows the highest offer.

It was really cool and easy to use. As an Apple fan boy, I highly recommend the site & can't wait for the new Apple line comes out with Touch ID
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Now that I know Touch ID is going to be installed onto the new iPads I'll going to make sure to sell my old one for cash and use the money for the new coming in a few months.

FYI: While google searching I found this site called RecomHub. It was like a KAYAK site but for reselling your Apple devices. It compared all the companies that will buy back your iPad or iPhone and shows the highest offer.

It was really cool and easy to use. As an Apple fan boy, I highly recommend the site & can't wait for the new Apple line comes out with Touch ID
  • Reply 10 of 41
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Quote:

That would be a more accurate since it isn't guaranteed all devices will receive Touch ID, at least this year.

• Reply 11 of 41
    reinthalreinthal Posts: 39member
    Every new Marvel movie to have a post-credits scene.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ...in every non-iPod iOS device...

So the AppleTV as well. 'Kay.

Analysts.
    Where stupidity reigns.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member
    This is a welcome thing if they will get the damn iPads setup for multiple users finally. I'm tired of hearing my kids crying about who did what on what app. It gets old.

Guess Apple wants each kid to have one but not happening at the current prices. Just want multiple user accounts finally.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    djkikrome wrote: »
    This is a welcome thing if they will get the damn iPads setup for multiple users finally. I'm tired of hearing my kids crying about who did what on what app. It gets old.

1) There is still the issue of how accounts will be sandboxed and the current app design doesn't look to accommodate a single app with multiple user account saved data and settings. I'm not saying it can't be done but there are logistical issues, as well as performance and battery life considerations to be made.

2) Apple says Touch ID's security is 1 in 50,000. I have no idea how they came to that conclusion. I understand how a 4-digit pin with 10 numbers to choose from is 1:10,000, but not TouchID's level of security. But I digress, I'm curious if at 1 in 50,000 and with sales of over 100 million units in just the next year that could get Touch ID the likely looking that a 1 in 50,000 chance for this convince feature to be triggered by some other family member under that multi-user setup becomes a certainty, based on the odds. Now Apple could make TouchID more sensitive in the next iteration, like 1 in 100,000 or 500,000 but that lowers the starting odds, it does not erase them. So why is this an issue, even if remote? For the same reason that you can't simply type in your password on a Mac/Windows to get to your user account. You also need to input your username because there is a chance — no matter how remote — that someone could have the same password as you. For that reason I don't think you'll ever see multi-user on an iOS-based device that doesn't first have you select your user account before you use TouchID to access the account. However, I doubt we'll see multiple users on iDevices simply because these are the most "personal computers" and Apple would lose profits as well as spending profits to work on a fledge of a solution which is simply not their goal until they forced to, which currently doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ^ post

Excellent and well-reasoned post!
  • Reply 16 of 41
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Ming-Chi Kuo is trying to improve his batting average.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

This is stunning. I expected Apple to randomly drop Touch ID on the next iPhone. 

• Reply 18 of 41
    One would hope. I was surprised that the iPad Air and the mini did not have Touch ID. From my view apple is a year late on this tech no brainer.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    quinney wrote: »
    Ming-Chi Kuo is trying to improve his batting average.

AI wants to be able to say "Kuo, who is often extremely accurate with his predictions" like they used to before he whiffed on essentially every prediction since 2012
  • Reply 20 of 41
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    One would hope. I was surprised that the iPad Air and the mini did not have Touch ID. From my view apple is a year late on this tech no brainer.

I expected it. I don't plan on a 9.7" device to sell for $499 vs a $649 phone and have the exact same technology.

Improved Camera, Touch ID, and Cell chip don't = $150. Granted, a cellular model is $629 for iPad Air or $529 for iPad mini vs $649 iPhone- but that doesn't take into account the higher costs for iPad screen, battery, aluminum, etc.

Just a fair warning- prepare yourself for a feature the iPhone 6 will have that the new 2014 iPad Air won't.