Rumor: Foxconn to build 4.7" & 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' Wistron to assemble Apple's legacy 4" model

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Apple is rumored to be finalizing its supply chain plans for this year's anticipated iPhone update, with longtime partner Foxconn unsurprisingly expected to receive the bulk of orders for the new, larger "iPhone 6."

"iPhone 6" mockup via Ciccarese Design.

Foxconn is expected to build both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch varieties of the next iPhone, according to Taiwanese tech industry publication DigiTimes. Assembler Pegatron is also expected to pitch in, but will account for only 30 percent of the 4.7-inch model, and none of the 5.5-inch version, the report said, citing unnamed industry sources.

The report also claimed that Apple's current 4-inch iPhone size will live on, but referred to it as an "existing" model, suggesting it may just utilize legacy hardware rather than sporting upgraded internal components. It was said that Wistron will handle orders for the 4-inch iPhone heading into 2015.

Regardless, the 4-inch model is still apparently expected by supply chain sources to be a major part of Apple's smartphone lineup moving forward. Tuesday's report said that both the 4- and 4.7-inch models will be the "main sales force for Apple in 2014," suggesting that the jumbo-sized 5.5-inch model is expected to target a smaller segment of the market.

Finally, it was said that Foxconn's plants in Zhengzhou, China, are expected to begin supplying the 4.7-inch model in July, while manufacturing of the 5.5-inch variant may begin in August.

Rumors of late have been generally consistent about those two new screen sizes being in the works for Apple's 2014 iPhone update. Both handsets are expected to use Apple's next-generation "A8" system-on-chip with a gigabyte of RAM.

Aside from larger screens and faster processors, the new iPhones are also expected to feature a thinner design, making them about as thick as Apple's current iPod touch lineup. And it's also been claimed that the lock/wake button on the device will be moved to the upper right side of the handset, potentially making it more easily accessible for one-handed use.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wait, it's June and Apple is only now finalizing is manufacturing plans for the new iPhone? No way. Also I think this 5.5" model is bogus too.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    ivabignivabign Posts: 61member
    If they start production in August, chances are they will be released at the same time. IMO
  • Reply 3 of 80
    i really don't like those mockups. they just look odd.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    The more I hear about a 5.5", the more I want one.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Whatever they do I hope they keep the 4".
  • Reply 6 of 80
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I sure hope they keep an updated 4" iPhone in their lineup, not just for the next product cycle but permanently. Don't really want anything bigger.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

Apple won't do away with their 4" iPhones.  They wouldn't make the mistakes that Shamesung and others made by making only HUGE phablets and then backpedaled by making "mini" versions of their phablets.  I'm sure Apple can learn a lot from others' mistakes.

• Reply 8 of 80
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The 4.7 works for me. Looks like a natural progression from the 4S to the 5—which did not bug me at all. Not sure about the iPhablet tho.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Whatever they do I hope they keep the 4".

They will as the new 6c. It will contain the internal parts of the 5s in a plastic shell. But as far as a new 4" iPhone containing all the latest and greatest tech like the A8...those days are gone. 

• Reply 10 of 80
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member

Only a gigabyte of RAM seems odd to me, particularly given the move to 64-bit.

• Reply 11 of 80
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

When they moved to a 4" display for the iPhone 5, I don't remember there being AS MUCH complaining that there wasn't also a newly updated 3.5" model.

Clearly, following that precedent, Apple is not going to update the 4" model will new specs. There will be some incarnation of it, maybe two. But certainly not a "new" one.

• Reply 12 of 80
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Seems to do just fine in the current 64 bit iOS devices

• Reply 13 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

That will likely jump to 2 or even more gigabytes with the iPhone 6. I think their main concern with 1GB on the 5s was battery life. More ram can drain batteries faster. A larger battery in the iPhone 6 and a possibly more power efficient CPU and cellular radios should allow enough extra savings to increase the RAM. 

• Reply 14 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

They will as the new 6c. It will contain the internal parts of the 5s in a plastic shell.

2013 2014 2015
    High-end 5S 6 6S
    Midrange 5C 5S 6
    Low-end 4S 5C 5S
  • Reply 15 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

It's amazing how shitty a website macrumors is, always reporting the headline of rumors like this as an unbridled FACT- absolutely no journalistic integrity. No "reportedly", "rumored", etc in the headline- just a statement that Apple is doing X, which they rush to throw up at the blip of a rumor. 

• Reply 16 of 80
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    i really don't like those mockups. they just look odd.

They are brain-dead pseudo-designs - while Apple could easily innovate ways to minimize inadvertent touches, the bottom line is a touch device will require reliable grab areas and unemcumbered screen visibility.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You remain completely insane.

2013 2014 2015
    High-end 5S 6 6S
    Midrange 5C 5S 6
    Low-end 4S 5C 5S

He's "completely insane" because he has a different prediction than you, which is just as plausible (if not more so) than yours? Don't reply with your train of thought, because I don't care. The point is you've been wrong in the past numerous times about these issues after mocking others, so just learn some humility and stop being so confident on such matters like product line/naming/etc. 

• Reply 18 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Apple won't do away with their 4" iPhones.

I disagree.  I hope they don't, but I don't see why they'd keep it.  Say they release a 4.7 and 5.5.  Or even just a 4.7".  I've said it again and again- what alternative do you have?  If you hate a big screen, what are you going to do, go to Android?  Their top tier phones are all 4.7"+.  Are you going to go to Windows?  Their top tier phone is 4.6".  So you're S.O.L.

The only argument is that another phone manufacturer will make a smaller premier to try to grab that market.

So again- I hope they don't.  But will they?  Time will tell- and I don't see the motivation.  I'm sure they've had these discussions ad naseum themselves.

• Reply 19 of 80
    Quote:

2013 2014 2015
    High-end 5S 6 6S
    Midrange 5C 5S 6
    Low-end 4S 5C 5S

I think that's pretty accurate.  The only difference we might see is:

2013 2014 2015
    High-end 5S 6 6S
    Midrange 5C 5CS 6C
    Low-end 4S 5C 5CS

The 6C we'll see for sure I'd think in 2015- but the 5S or 5CS- I'm unsure which.  One thing I would hope everyone could agree on is that there will be no 6C this year- unless they throw us a giant curveball (highly unlikely)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

He's "completely insane" because he has a different prediction than you, which is just as plausible (if not more so) than yours?

I think saying there will be a 6C this year is irrational.

• Reply 20 of 80
    Quote:

2013 2014 2015
    High-end 5S 6 6S
    Midrange 5C 5S 6
    Low-end 4S 5C 5S

Apple luckily is not insane and will not continue trying to sell the 5C "as is" in the 2014-15 product cycle given that it was not a great seller this past year. All iOS devices this year will have touch ID. Why would they spend all the time and money trying to add Touch ID the the 5c when it already exists in the 5s? They also will likely give the 6c new darker colors and get away from the crayola palette. The C model is meant to be sold as a current year phone even though it reuses last years parts. 

High End iPhone 6 Pro or Air or whatever they call it with a 5.5" screen

Midrange iPhone 6 with 4.7"

Low-end iPhone 6c with 4" that is the 5s reborn

Deal with it especially since all the latest rumors support what I have been saying for months and none support your theory.