Apple's smart home platform may finally unite legion of isolated devices

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    taniwha wrote: »
    So its a pretty tiny market by your numbers. Hardly worth talking about. And it's going to change the world ??? Dream on.
    Tiny market? Those are MONTHLY numbers. At an annual rate, that's 5 million new homes and 50 million existing homes.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    NYC- the only place one actually truly "lives".

Since when are trailers considered houses?

Some of those trailers are bigger than many NYC apartments. :lol:
  • Reply 43 of 76
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

You forget ! Samsung makes the home appliances and already has a spectrum of home automation products, devices and APPs on the market. Apple will need to run to catch up .. but you can still pretend they invented it all if it fills a psychological need in you.

That's it!

It's my psychological need to pretend that Apple invented everything that has held me back all these years.

You have released me from my chains with this realization!

I am free!  I am free!

Thank you!

• Reply 44 of 76
    taekattaekat Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Have you ever heard of market disruption? Apple is a past master at it. Look what happened to BlackBerry, Palm, Motorola Mobility and a host of other comm devices when iPhone burst on the scene. Look at what's happened to PC and notebook sales since the advent of the iPad. How about CD sales and the Sony Discman since iTunes and iPods disrupted their market? Crestron is privately owned, but if they were publicly traded, I would't be rushing out to buy any of their stock right now. Crestron management may well be experiencing one of those "Oh, sh*t!" moments.

I have heard of market disruption - look at Palm and Blackberry.  Look at Fujitsu Tablets.  Look at Tesla.  If, and that is a big IF, Apple makes a move into this market it would be with a strategy to integrate home automation into their iOS and OS X operating systems. They will create an developers kit and maybe partner with some big people in the business to establish and design some type of control hardware but that would be it.  Apple already has the hardware - laptops, iPads and iPhones - they would attempt to lure home automation manufacturers to integrate their control protocols into their new devices.  The difference between Apple moving into this market and the music player/smart phone market is that Crestron continues to innovate in big ways.  They are pushing every year and have strong partnerships with many big names in the business.  They have E-control and Roomview Connected Display standards which allows their hardware to seamlessly control user devices with very little programming.  I can see Crestron partnering up with Apple and iOS but in very limited ways - perhaps some sort of feedback widget and basic controls.  However, Crestron has their own touchscreens and control devices and they would not do anything to jeopardize their hardware sales.

• Reply 45 of 76
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    taniwha wrote: »
    So its a pretty tiny market by your numbers. Hardly worth talking about. And it's going to change the world ???
    +4.5 million sales month in the U.S. is a tiny number by what measure?
    Don't know what you mean home sales are going to "change the world"?
  • Reply 46 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You know AI, all this speculation doesn't help. Why the **** dont we wait to see what they show before publishing another thousand articles of the best case scenario? You're not doing Apple any favors here, because if it doesn't meet every bullet point of all these pie-in-the-sky fantasy posts it will be considered a "disappointment". This article is written with literally zero information. Let's all just shut the **** up and wait. Its only a few more days. 

I totally get what you’re after here, and I share a lot of your concern, but we are a rumor site.

I maintain that we should have a dedicated scale of plausibility for all articles here. One word, start off the title, instantly know the quality of the content.

Confirmed:

Likely:

Possible:

Rumored:

Salt:

DigiTimes:

Not everyone is homeless, like you? People who make some money live in houses. Yeah, they still exist. Where the **** do you live that you havent seen a house? My city is 95% houses. 

Pretty sure he was joking.

• Reply 47 of 76
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I totally get what you’re after here, and I share a lot of your concern, but we are a rumor site.

I maintain that we should have a dedicated scale of plausibility for all articles here. One word, start off the title, instantly know the quality of the content.

Confirmed:

Likely:

Possible:

Rumored:

Salt:

Gene Munster:

DigiTimes:

Just had to add another level...

• Reply 48 of 76
    gerardodgerardod Posts: 1member
    In this Smart/Digital Home space for 20 Years and its about time we see some real technical muscle in this space. Bring on the likes of Google, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung and so on%u2026..Gerard, aka 'Smart Homes Rock God' (HomeMentors.com)%u2026
  • Reply 49 of 76
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Speculation based on speculation. These are the hopes and dreams that will be dashed when Apple doesn't announce anything like this at WWDC. You could've just waited until the real announcement is made, and we've got concrete information to talk about. June 2 is just around the corner.

this is a speculation site. people come here specifically to talk about things not-yet-announced. 

• Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple is becoming victimized by its own hype machine. It can’t possibly live up to the speculation raging out of control. 

wait -- where is apple hyping this? i dont see anything from apple at all, only speculation from third-parties. that's not apple.

• Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:

Meaning if you’re going to force me to buy a $40 lightbulb for every socket of my house, you’re not going to sell any product. “Smart” lightbulbs are one of the stupidest products since the DVD rewinder. 

wait -- who's "forcing" you to buy anything??

an expensive smartbulb is not at all like a dvd rewinder. a dvd rewinder is completely useless and thus offers no value to anyone, but a smartbulb has many uses that many people find quite valuable. this is why people like me buy Hue bulbs and why Philips continues to manufacture and sell them.

you may be complaining about price/value, but thats not really the topic. and price is relevant to disposable income...some consumers dont mind the high cost of enhancing their home's value. YMMV.

• Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:

This article is written with literally zero information. Let's all just shut the **** up and wait. Its only a few more days. 

why then do you visit a speculation/rumors site? this site isnt in the business of staying silent until confirmed products are released. no, it's in the very business of speculating on that which does not exist.

how is that not obvious to all?

• Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sure there is an angle... Cook, Ive and a few of the other Apple Brothers like to drive Samsung nuts. A leak this close to the big event should have the Samsung hive buzzing. lol

you havent made the case for why that offers value to apple. samsung would be as buzzing after a WWDC announcement than a leak. why leak it?

• Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Hi foul mouth. Yes, this is how it works. They want people to be excited. To be bursting at the seams in anticipation. So one week before they drop key hints. Nothing's been given away. Quite to the contrary, more people than ever want to hear what the Apple solution might be. Wisen up. You can't believe the storyline you're being presented. These controlledeaks come from the top. If not, look for a fast disclaimer tomorrow, as Apple won't want people waiting in anticipation for something not coming. If there's no as-good-as-official walking back, it's happening. Again, that's how you play the game.

nope. this is not an event that any more people can buy tickets to, theres no reason to up the excitement one week prior with a controlled leak. this event is already so highly anticipated that it sells out in seconds in years past. so again, no reason to ratchet up the excitement w/ a controlled leak.

and apple doesnt comment on rumors, so of course there wont be any denial tomorrow.

again, you have nothing other than tinfoil hat conspiracy theories....no strong arguments.

• Reply 55 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

wait -- who's "forcing" you to buy anything??

Not sure how it’s confusing. To have this kind of control right now, you have two options: do it via wiring or do it at the bulb.

Via wiring, it’s a one-time expense for all future control and all potential outlets from said wiring. At the bulb, you have to pay per bulb, per device, every device.

• Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taekat View Post

Crestron own's the home automation market and they have phenomenal gear. It is a crowded market and apple knows this fact. There is no way they are thinking about this in terms of hardware/software as they do with computers and phones. They will most likely create official partnerships and put their logo on some equipment. This is a mistake and I will live to see Apple realize it.

have you let Tim Cook and the board know this? please do so, quick! otherwise apple will be......DOOOOMED! again! so DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED! if only they had the legion of anonymous interweb enthusiasts to prevent them from certain DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM brought about by their inexperienced leaders!

man, you people. never learn.

• Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshermanoaks View Post

Those Hue bulbs are $60/apiece right now. The "Internet of Expensive Things" is going to grow very slowly.

pretty cheap barrier to entry in the home-automation market. real cheap. these systems used to cost thousands. 

and as the mass marketing continues they will get even cheaper.

• Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

You forget ! Samsung makes the home appliances and already has a spectrum of home automation products, devices and APPs on the market. Apple will need to run to catch up .. but you can still pretend they invented it all if it fills a psychological need in you.

making products and making products that work well are two completely different things. apple excels at the latter...havent you learned that yet?

• Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Keep in mind, this isn't in the country, hundred year old dilapidated homes, or some rinky dink town- they are newer homes in Collin County, one of the wealthiest counties in the country 

age itself doesnt infer poor condtion. my home is 150+ years old, and hardly dilapidated. in fact it's made of incredible building material (old growth heart pine, horse hair plaster, etc) that simply cannot be replaced by the cheap building materials of today. these new popup-houseshave zero chance of lasting 150 years...

• Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:

Not sure how it’s confusing. To have this kind of control right now, you have two options: do it via wiring or do it at the bulb.

because you said people are "forcing" you to buy things. to me that means there's a guy in a black ski mask w/ a gun pointed at your head, *forcing* you to buy something. you know, like you complained about. but i dont think there is, is there? or...is there? omg -- do you need us to call 911? comment twice if you need help!