Apple's smart home platform may finally unite legion of isolated devices

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

you havent made the case for why that offers value to apple. samsung would be as buzzing after a WWDC announcement than a leak. why leak it?

You're such a serious person.

• Reply 62 of 76
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

You forget ! Samsung makes the home appliances and already has a spectrum of home automation products, devices and APPs on the market. Apple will need to run to catch up .. but you can still pretend they invented it all if it fills a psychological need in you.

making products and making products that work well are two completely different things. apple excels at the latter...havent you learned that yet?

I saw an appropriate quote recently. "An assertion made without evidence can be refuted without evidence". If you are trying to claim that an Apple Home Automation Product that doesn't currently exist, is better than something (anything) that is already on the market, then your bias and religious prejudice is overwhelmingly obvious. You are rather wasting my time with nonsense on that level. I for one do NOT subscribe to the view that every product coming from Apple is necessarily a product that "works well" (See MAPS) or necessarily better than anything any competitor could possibly produce. There are enough examples of products from Apple that have failed, to make this kind of blind faith simply absurd. But you are welcome to believe anything you want if it fills a hole in your self-esteem.

• Reply 63 of 76
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

age itself doesnt infer poor condtion. my home is 150+ years old, and hardly dilapidated. in fact it's made of incredible building material (old growth heart pine, horse hair plaster, etc) that simply cannot be replaced by the cheap building materials of today. these new popup-houseshave zero chance of lasting 150 years...

First off- holy crap- use the "Multi-Quote" button.  11 posts in a row within 20 minutes?  Someone sure does think their opinion is important.

To your second "point"- Thats why I said 100 year old dilapidated home.  I didn't merely say 100 year old home.  I used this thing called an "adjective".  Since you clearly don't know what that is, here ya go:

Quote:

ad·jec·tive

?ajiktiv/

noun

GRAMMAR

1. a word or phrase naming an attribute, added to or grammatically related to a noun to modify or describe it.

• Reply 64 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

because you said people are "forcing" you to buy things. to me that means there's a guy in a black ski mask w/ a gun pointed at your head, *forcing* you to buy something. you know, like you complained about. but i dont think there is, is there? or...is there? omg -- do you need us to call 911? comment twice if you need help!

Yeah, okay, do you know what a hypothetical situation is? Do you comprehend that we’re discussing a rumored product category?

Are you nuts?

• Reply 65 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

I saw an appropriate quote recently. "An assertion made without evidence can be refuted without evidence". If you are trying to claim that an Apple Home Automation Product that doesn't currently exist, is better than something (anything) that is already on the market, then your bias and religious prejudice is overwhelmingly obvious. You are rather wasting my time with nonsense on that level. I for one do NOT subscribe to the view that every product coming from Apple is necessarily a product that "works well" (See MAPS) or necessarily better than anything any competitor could possibly produce. There are enough examples of products from Apple that have failed, to make this kind of blind faith simply absurd. But you are welcome to believe anything you want if it fills a hole in your self-esteem.

Are all your posts so vile and trollish? You just stated how Apple needs to "run to play catchup" to Samsung in this space, and then pulled the "and Apple will claim they invented it" line out of your ass. I don't know a single person who uses their Samsung device to control any of the appliances. Having the bullet point isnt the end goal. If Apple believes it has a better solution, that could be adopted by millions and become mainstream, then why are you pre-emptively so angry and defensive about that? If it fails, it fails. The fact that you're making such vile comments about people about self-esteem, etc is pretty despicable. You're the only one here who has an agenda and irrational hatred towards something that nobody knows anything about yet. You're not forced to buy anything, and you seem strangely butthurt over the possibility of an upcoming product(s). 

• Reply 66 of 76
    SONOS is releasing a software solution to it's "bridge" making it unnecessary.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    Seems like it would be easy to add z-wave and/or zigbee to AppleTV, and instantly have a market in home automation and security systems.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anome View Post

It's not even Apple's hype machine. It's bored tech pundits, who might have some vague information, but more likely just want this really bad, who get repeated by other bored tech pundits. It's true they're a victim of their success, but only because of the feedback loop of tech punditry

They're not bored; they're talentless. They lack the ability to research effectively, join the dots, then write cohesively.

They don't know anything, so they're throwing crap at the walls and hoping that something sticks.

If this Dre thing turns out to be hot air, then we can expect MONTHS of 'analysis' explaining how Apple let the deal slip through its fingers.

• Reply 69 of 76
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taekat View Post

Crestron own's the home automation market and they have phenomenal gear. It is a crowded market and apple knows this fact. There is no way they are thinking about this in terms of hardware/software as they do with computers and phones. They will most likely create official partnerships and put their logo on some equipment. This is a mistake and I will live to see Apple realize it.

Nokia owns the phone market and they have phenomenal gear. It is a crowded market and apple knows this fact. There is no way they are thinking about this in terms of hardware/software as they do with computers and music players. They will most likely create official partnerships and put their logo on some equipment. This is a mistake and I will live to see Apple realize it.

I think this kind of comment is known as a 'Ballmerism'

• Reply 70 of 76
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Skating to where the puck is going, will the home be the centre of things or the individual? We used to have our phones tied to our homes, but now they're in our pocket. Is the future perhaps more along the lines of a personal area network, and devices get an IP address in your PAN when you walk near them, rather than you as a node in a home LAN?

• Reply 71 of 76
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    taekat wrote: »
    I have heard of market disruption - look at Palm and Blackberry.  Look at Fujitsu Tablets.  Look at Tesla.  If, and that is a big IF, Apple makes a move into this market it would be with a strategy to integrate home automation into their iOS and OS X operating systems. They will create an developers kit and maybe partner with some big people in the business to establish and design some type of control hardware but that would be it.  Apple already has the hardware - laptops, iPads and iPhones - they would attempt to lure home automation manufacturers to integrate their control protocols into their new devices.  The difference between Apple moving into this market and the music player/smart phone market is that Crestron continues to innovate in big ways.  They are pushing every year and have strong partnerships with many big names in the business.  They have E-control and Roomview Connected Display standards which allows their hardware to seamlessly control user devices with very little programming.  I can see Crestron partnering up with Apple and iOS but in very limited ways - perhaps some sort of feedback widget and basic controls.  However, Crestron has their own touchscreens and control devices and they would not do anything to jeopardize their hardware sales.

Unfortunately, what is more likely to disrupt Crestron's hardware sales is Apple's hardware. Apple defines itself as a hardware company. No doubt that Crestron's controls are advanced and user friendly, but If all of their back-end home management systems (or those of a Crestron competitor) can by operated just as easily with an iDevice ...
  • Reply 72 of 76
    What about Kindle home automation? I heard refrigerators hooked up to prime were coming late 2015.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member

(1)  Yayyy!  I am building a new house this summer/fall and had been hoping Apple would enter the smart home business.  Over the last few months, I have been researching what is currently available and nothing has really struck me as compelling or quite ready for prime time.  It seems to me most of what is out there and affordable to the masses is gimmicky, unreliable, and heavily fragmented.  Few companies besides Apple could devise a user-friendly, coherent standard that would be widely and quickly adopted.

(2)  I'm already sick of hearing the term "Internet of Things" ... ugh!  It's "Information Superhighway Part II".  Can we just call it smart home or home automation ... please?

(3)  Smart home technology and implementation is in it's infancy.  To say that any entity "owns" it at this point is ridiculous.  Only the bleeding edge tech heads and the very wealthy have invested anything in it so far.  You know what goes with the "bleeding edge tech head" territory?  Replacing what you initially bought with something much better, less buggy, and probably cheaper a year or two later.  They're used to this, and even if they weren't it wouldn't matter.  Companies like Apple are looking to sell to the masses and the masses haven't bought in to smart home technology yet or for the most part even really know what it is.

Have to go to work for a bit, but I'll be back with my vision on what an Apple Smart Home might look like ... I know you can't wait!

• Reply 74 of 76
    Because expensive in-home technology solutions are going to be all the rage with people in the U.S. that can't even get a decent job to afford a home, much less a home that will have these kinds of capabilities built in. Please.

And yes, you need to build it from the wiring upward. Just like Tallest Skil said, "if you're going to force me to buy a $40 light bulb for every socket of my house, you're not going to sell any product." I totally agree with his sentiment on the subject.

Apple will have to show something really special (and affordable) or this idea to work. Otherwise, the U.S. economy will see to it that it crashes and burns before it ever gets off the ground.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I totally get what you’re after here, and I share a lot of your concern, but we are a rumor site.

I maintain that we should have a dedicated scale of plausibility for all articles here. One word, start off the title, instantly know the quality of the content.

Confirmed:

Likely:

Possible:

Rumored:

Salt:

Gene Munster:

DigiTimes:

Ballmer

Just had to add another level...

Now it's complete.

• Reply 76 of 76
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BingeBoy View Post

What about Kindle home automation? I heard refrigerators hooked up to prime were coming late 2015.

I don't see how burning your fridge with Kindling is going to automate anything other than razing your home to the ground.