Apple scuttlebutt spurs Samsung to seek sapphire solutions for smartphones

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    drblank wrote: »
    Apple also doesn't have the licensing for Liquidmetal for eyewear.  They have it for electronic devices like smartphones, etc.

Why assume that eyewear can't also be an electronic device? Wouldn't you think Apple would incorporate CE into eyewear if they wear going to go down that route, just as one might assume that Apple getting trademark protection for items covering watches and jewelry might some that is an electronic device, not simply a pair of gold earrings?
  • Reply 102 of 124
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why assume that eyewear can't also be an electronic device? Wouldn't you think Apple would incorporate CE into eyewear if they wear going to go down that route, just as one might assume that Apple getting trademark protection for items covering watches and jewelry might some that is an electronic device, not simply a pair of gold earrings?

I was just responding to the other person's post that they thought Apple would enter the prescription glasses industry w/o technology.

I personally don't think Apple is interested in eyewear like Google Glass.  I just don't see them going in that direction.

• Reply 103 of 124
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    Why the apple are far behind on the smart glasses, smart watch, TVs and Liquidmedal. So they didn't have a skill to make to new products
  • Reply 104 of 124
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    They should to hired new congratulations collage students for new jobs
  • Reply 105 of 124
    I personally don't think Apple is interested in eyewear like Google Glass.  I just don't see them going in that direction.

Doing it like Google, I agree that Apple wouldn't release such a horrible product, but I can see a future where Apple builds technology that can seamlessly integrate into fairly standard-looking eyewear. if we're still not at the point where wrist-worn CE can be viable outside of a very limited fitness scope then eyewear aren't even on the radar. I would say we're more than decade out before I see that being feasible.

tastowe wrote: »
    Why the apple are far behind on the smart glasses, smart watch, TVs and Liquidmedal. So they didn't have a skill to make to new products

Why the you think the apple so far behind the these things?
  • Reply 106 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tastowe View Post

Apple's not trying to make smart glasses that I'm aware of.  They've made no mention of even wanting to make one.

Apple is working on their smart watch and it's probably because they want to incorporate technology that hasn't been seen yet, by anyone.  Apple has been hiring various people from various industries to assist and maybe they want it to do things no one has available.  They have to design the hardware/internal components, OS, applications and this all takes time. You don't want them to come out with a useless product, do you?

TV's?  Cook mentioned that they might not be putting out TVs because the average person doesn't replace their TV as often as they do smartphones, tablets, and computers and it might not be something they want to enter into at this time. I think the average replacement cycle for TV's is around 7 to 10 years.  People replace smartphones, tablets and computers far more frequently.    TV's are an entirely different beast than computers/mobile devices.

Liquidmetal?  It's a very expensive process to do on a mass scale and it takes a while to build the facilities to pump out the volume levels of anything significant that Apple might use it for.  This was explained by one of the engineers at Liquidmetal a couple of years ago in an interview when Apple started first playing around with it.  Apple has to figure out what they would use it for first, then they have to test it, and once they actually decide what they want to make with it, they then have to build the facilities to make the actual component.  LIquidmetal isn't the mfg company, they just license the technology for Apple.  Apple has to build the facilities to make whatever it is they want to make and they have to look at the costs involved comparing to other existing technology.  If Apple wasn't selling millions of units on a yearly basis, it would take them less time to produce a decent sized component using that technology.

• Reply 107 of 124
    Apple's not trying to make smart glasses that I'm aware of.  They've made no mention of even wanting to make one.

I would be very surprised if there is even anything in the lab at this point. I just don't see the technology being there to even allow for a reasonable early HW designs. You might as well lump that in with Apple-brand personal wormholes.
  • Reply 108 of 124
    Quote:

I would be very surprised if there is even anything in the lab at this point. I just don't see the technology being there to even allow for a reasonable early HW designs. You might as well lump that in with Apple-brand personal wormholes.

I'm sure they've screwed around with it at some point, but probably ditched it because they realized making a Google Glass type product was foolish and wouldn't become a big enough to bother with it.

• Reply 109 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by tastowe View Post

It’s kind of hard to be behind in categories in which you aren’t.

• Reply 110 of 124
    isheepisheep Posts: 1member

Really? Without Samsung your icrap would just be a handful of unusable parts. You're ridiculous to think that only apple can inovate. Grow up.

• Reply 111 of 124
    simcrasimcra Posts: 4member
    Who cares get over it.

Was it copying when Apple invented its first phone or just jumping on the bandwagon with Samsung, LG, Sony etc.
  • Reply 112 of 124
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomdri View Post

I'ld like to see Samsung mouths drop when Apple comes out with its liquid metal. They'll be a lot of liquid plastic in their boxers crying about how to follow that.

I agree. Plastic is just awful and cheap and Apple would never do that. And if they did, would they apologize?

Quote:

Apple announces the colorful, "unapologetically plastic" iPhone 5c

http://www.gizmag.com/apple-colorful-iphone-5c/29016/

• Reply 113 of 124
    Quote:

It's funny how the Android camp is always saying "just you wait and see. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! It's gonna be awesome sauce." 

Android already delivered. Smoother UI was promised, smoother UI was delivered. Observe. 

Quote:

Yet you never consider that Apple is working on advancements, too

They are doing a pretty good job of keeping them secret. Not a lot of advancement since the iPhone 4. And all of the stuff they aded was stuff Android has already had since the beginning. 

• Reply 114 of 124
    Quote:

It would be a gimmick on Android if released today because of the virtual machine that sits atop the Linux OS. As far as I know the entire stack hasn't been converted to run on 64-bit. Apple did this out of the gate. Seemless, but then again Apple has plenty of experience with architecture changes so anything less would be suspect.

And what is the actual end result? You saw in the video...the Nexus 5 is already beating the best iPhone despite the fact that the iPhone is already running in 64-bit. Despite all theses supposed drawbacks, Android is still faster, and it is not even running on ART yet. 

Are you really saying Apple couldn't have doubled the RAM, doubled the cores and nearly doubled the clock rate (because that doesn't sound like you) 't course they could do all that if they wanted to. 

For whatever reason, they didn't. And they won't. Not as long as Apple fans keep eating up the lower speced phones. They have no competition and so have no incentive to deliver anything but the bare minimum needed to keep the lowest-common-denominator fans happy. 

Apple has painted themselves into a corner. There is a limit to how much they can adapt because they have a significant portion of their user base that is very resistant to change. Ironically, because Apple conditioned them to be that way. 

Quote:

Apple has an excellent history of balancing features, not simply focusing on one and then foregoing the rest because it's currently trendy with the superficially focused tech crowd. Apple didn't do OLED just because it was a buzzword. Apple didn't do quad-core just because it was a buzzword. Apple didn't do biometrics just because it was a buzzword.

Yeah, Apple definitely does not do buzzwords (*cough* retina display *cough cough*)

• Reply 115 of 124
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

And what is the actual end result? You saw in the video...the Nexus 5 is already beating the best iPhone despite the fact that the iPhone is already running in 64-bit. Despite all theses supposed drawbacks, Android is still faster, and it is not even running on ART yet. 

STOP. PRETENDING. THAT. OPENING. APPS. IS. INDICATIVE. OF. ACTUAL. PERFORMANCE.

They have no competition

To clarify, for the benefit of viewers just tuning in, you believe that Apple has no competition not because Android is terrible nor because it’s a stolen product, but because Apple is the only company that makes iOS devices, correct? And since there are multiple companies making Android devices, Samsung has competition. Am I right in your interpretation?

Apple has painted themselves into a corner. There is a limit to how much they can adapt because they have a significant portion of their user base that is very resistant to change. Ironically, because Apple conditioned them to be that way. 

Been in a coma since 1997?

Yeah, Apple definitely does not do buzzwords (*cough* retina display *cough cough*) 

That ban doesn’t seem to have taught you anything.

• Reply 116 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

STOP. PRETENDING. THAT. OPENING. APPS. IS. INDICATIVE. OF. ACTUAL. PERFORMANCE.

So slower app loading times are a good thing?

Quote:

To clarify, for the benefit of viewers just tuning in, you believe that Apple has no competition not because Android is terrible nor because it’s a stolen product, but because Apple is the only company that makes iOS devices, correct?

Apple has no competition because Apple is the only source for iOS devices. I thought that was obvious. 

Since they have no competition, they have no incentive to deliver anything but the bare minimum needed to satisfy the lowest-common-denominator of their user base. 

Quote:

And since there are multiple companies making Android devices, Samsung has competition.

Yes. If Samsung did not have competition, the Galaxy S5 would not have the best display of any smartphone right now. They'd have no incentive to develop it. 

Quote:

That ban doesn’t seem to have taught you anything.

What ban?

• Reply 117 of 124

Apple has no competition because Apple is the only source for iOS devices. 

Thank you for clarifying. You are completely insane.

What ban?

Don’t pretend to be more ignorant than we already know you are.

• Reply 118 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don’t pretend to be more ignorant than we already know you are.

How is it I am able to post if I am banned? Maybe it's a typo. 

• Reply 119 of 124

How is it I am able to post if I am banned? Maybe it's a typo. 

No, you were banned and it has been lifted.

• Reply 120 of 124
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Let's see it load 64bit Apps like this:-

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mSsXrPxJ2rc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Fantastic app.