Apple buys Beats Electronics for $3 billion, Iovine and Dr. Dre to join company

Comments

• Reply 41 of 217
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They have connections? So what? Surely Apple can get any meeting they want with any executive they want. Either the deal works for content providers or it doesn't.

I've always laughed at that "argument" as well.  As if Apple doesn't have music industry connections.  As if Apple didn't revolutionize the music industry as we know it.

They can get Iovine for his smarts and ingenuity.  Dre for his "coolness" and marketability (particularly with athletes).  But let's not fool ourselves and say it's because of their connections in the music industry.  That's ignorant.

• Reply 42 of 217
    tomdritomdri Posts: 18member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Love it.

Trust me on this.  Beats is HUGE in the 15-30 year old crowd and the urban crowd. 

This really is a big blow to Samsung who had free reign on this demographic for the last 2 years.

Big Phone + Beats + Lebron = Apple is cool again
    I thought lebron is with Samsung???
  • Reply 44 of 217
    tomdritomdri Posts: 18member
    Great. Now let's get back to business and surprise us with the iPhone 6 coming out two weeks after the June 2 secret party.
  • Reply 45 of 217
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Can't imagine their tiny music biz is worth that much. Certainly, the headphones are complete garbage and their hideous industrial design would never make it out of Apple. Maybe someday a real explanation for this acquisition will emerge.
  • Reply 46 of 217
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    saarek wrote: »
    No way Beats is worth this much!

Everything is worth what you're willing to pay for it.
  • Reply 47 of 217
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They have connections? So what? Surely Apple can get any meeting they want with any executive they want. Either the deal works for content providers or it doesn't.

Not really.   The music industry learned a valuable lesson.  They gave the Apple the car keys and look what happened.  Apple was able to grow to the point where they dictated terms like download pricing and other things.   They are now more wary about just giving Apple what it wants.   Iovine lends far more credibility than Eddie Cue.  Not because of a deficiency of Cue but rather Iovine does it all day every day. 

• Reply 48 of 217
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    bighype wrote: »
    Tim Cook confirmed for one of the worst CEOs in Apple's history. He will go down like Ballmer. It won't be long before he starts throwing chairs around as their competitors start eating into their revenue more and more.

He bought two people for $3 billion dollars? What a complete tool!
    You just hate Dr Dre huh? They bought an extremely successful company for basically nothing. It's revenue covers the cost in two years. They get so much more from streaming to gaining access to the only malarkey in the US that shuns Apple and thinks Samsung is innovative. The urban market. And trust me, this is not dominated by African Americans. The hip hip culture is wider than you think it is.
  • Reply 49 of 217
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bighype wrote: »
    Tim Cook confirmed for one of the worst CEOs in Apple's history. He will go down like Ballmer. It won't be long before he starts throwing chairs around as their competitors start eating into their revenue more and more.

He bought two people for $3 billion dollars? What a complete tool!

This comment is idiotic.

Still interested to see what this means. In the short term it means nothing. < 3% of Apple's cash.
  • Reply 50 of 217
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Who here said they would sell their stock and get rid of all their Apple gear if this "when pigs fly" situation happened? Who here is going to keep their word?
  • Reply 51 of 217
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

If this is Apple's strategy for growth going forward, will they basically buy up all of the high-end and currently popular accessories companies that make add-ons for Apple products?

Will they hire CEOs from Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Universal Studios to build out a filmed entertainment division? Why not buy Disney next?

• Reply 52 of 217
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I've always laughed at that "argument" as well.  As if Apple doesn't have music industry connections.  As if Iovine in his suit with an Apple pin can "pull one over" on an industry exec. and make him think he's doing a deal with him and not Apple?

They can get Iovine for his smarts and ingenuity.  Dre for his "coolness" and marketability (particularly with athletes).  But let's not fool ourselves and say it's because of their connections in the music industry.  That's ignorant.

Of course Apple has connections in the industry it would be silly to think they don't, but to ignore Iovine's reach as a highly respected producer and insider is even more ignorant.

• Reply 53 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Thankfully they're keeping it as a separate brand so Jony Ive doesn't have to waste his time on these silly headphones.
  • Reply 54 of 217
    I don't think a billion means the same to them as it does to me.
  • Reply 55 of 217

I guess sometimes rumors do come true

• Reply 56 of 217
    smarkysmarky Posts: 75member

Apple do need to innovate and start coming up with new stuff again, blah blah blah the media keeps saying this line and it is quite true. It just takes time...

Tim Cook is playing a game of chess, he is merely positioning his pieces at this point...

Putting Jony Ive in charge of software design as well as hardware, possible plays in health, wearable devices, connected homes and automatization, rumours of some soft of TV device, purchase of the biggest brand in headphones and an upcoming music subscription service.... All the other things everyone speculates on and I am sure many other things people will be blindsided by.

Let's see what play he makes with these pieces before you all judge. It seems to me Apple is getting ready for the next big things. You have had the computers, iPod's, iTunes, iPhones and iPads... now the next likely more explosive chapter is about to begin.

With this purchase I am also very curious as to what will happen to the Beats brand, future products etc...

• Reply 57 of 217
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Love it.

Trust me on this.  Beats is HUGE in the 15-30 year old crowd and the urban crowd. 

This really is a big blow to Samsung who had free reign on this demographic for the last 2 years.

Big Phone + Beats + Lebron = Apple is cool again

Right the crowd that waits 2 hours to buy $250 sneakers. Classical music I suppose is not music Tim?
    Desperation.
  • Reply 58 of 217
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Thankfully they're keeping it as a separate brand so Jony Ive doesn't have to waste his time on these silly headphones.

I guess... :/

• Reply 59 of 217
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    genovelle wrote: »
    Why not. Stylish popular designs that actually sell and make a high margin, a streaming service that actually has the best curation system in the market, and two music industry giants on board for all your music initiative from promotions to negotiations, to insight on pop and urban culture, to music production. Add to that the fact that if having Apple's marketing and design behind them doesn't increase revenue at all it would still pay for itself in two years since they did 1.5 billion last year before getting into streaming. Sounds like a great move. It also lets Cook focus on other things now that there will be a entertainment chief with connections rivaling Jobs and he no longer has to run retail himself.

Seriously revenue is not profit.

HTC owned this guys and bought them for a fraction of the price. What did they gain? Why did they sell?
  • Reply 60 of 217
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Not really.   The music industry learned a valuable lesson.  They gave the Apple the car keys and look what happened.  Apple was able to grow to the point where they dictated terms like download pricing and other things.   They are now more wary about just giving Apple what it wants.   Iovine lends far more credibility than Eddie Cue.  Not because of a deficiency of Cue but rather Iovine does it all day every day. 

What are you talking about? Apple never dictated download pricing after they were big, the 99 cents price was set from the get go. Furthermore, it was the music industry that strong-armed Apple into the tiered pricing they have now by forcing them to remain DRM while letting others remove it, until Apple capitulated.